• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    G&M ships. Just sayin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once a year in August or September we pitch in with some other Maryland refugees and have a bushel of crabs overnighted to us then have a big crab feast. I always make pit beef for it and we have grilled corn with Old Bay. Last year we even had Berger Cookies.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Chicken wings for bait? Hell, I eat chicken wings.

Reminds me the first time I went surf fishing down in Port Aransas, Texas for Pompano. Everyone was using shrimp for bait. Shrimp for bait? Hell... I eat shrimp too.

What's a cheap(er) bait for trot lines?

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    Some years ago, a friend of mine and I use to do a little crabbing on the Patuxent. We would usually run one trot line, occasionally we would run a second line running at a right angle from the first.

As already posted by others it is easy to set up once you have seen it done. The idea is to have the baited line resting on the bottom weighted on each end with a chain. We used cinder blocks for the float weights and empty two and a half gallon cooking oil jugs for the floats. So, the setup we used went like this. Cinder block, line long enough to reach float, then enough line to reach the bottom with a three-foot length of chain at the end. The trot line had a brass clip that would be attached to the end of the chain. We would run the line out in a straight line, having the line straight is important, then connect the trot line to the same setup on the other end. Chain, line to float, float, then line to anchor weight.

We used bull lips for bait. We would lay them out on a tray and place them in a freezer till they firmed up. Then used a meat slicer to cut them into slips. The first baiting of the season had a six-foot spacing, after that we would add bait between, giving a three-foot spacing, and we used slip knots. The trot line was kept in a bushel basket and when not in use it was stored in the deep freezer basket and all.

When it was time to crab, the bushel basket with the trot line came out of the freezer and was left to thaw. If we were in a hurry, we would just run the hose on it for a few minutes.

We had a bent pipe with an old plastic spool clamped on the side for the line to run on.

To say what we used was redneck engineering would be a compliment, but it worked for us.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Seems that it's easier for two people do go out and run/retrieve crabs off a trotline. One driving the vessel; the other working the line.

Do some recreational crabbers have a system that works if they're solo?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I don't like going at it alone, same with hunting, I'm mostly there to ******** and complain about conditions and how much better (insert better year) was.

Here's a buddy helping me pull slack. During this day I almost pitched him off the boat, then we ran out of gas, then later in the morning he all but put me in the water while maneuvering.

Actually ran out of gas twice that summer, fortunately I lived on the water only about a mile up river from where we usually set up, made my wife run us out fuel.
    f55d353ff3e08e7f85aeb307adb7cdd3.jpg

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    Seems that it's easier for two people do go out and run/retrieve crabs off a trotline. One driving the vessel; the other working the line.

Do some recreational crabbers have a system that works if they're solo?

It is easier to have two people on the boat. However, the one dipping the net also ran the boat. That way they could keep the boat next to the line. The second person would cull thru the baskets and toss the undersize back. Then when it came time to pickup the line the second person would pull it in and lay it nicely in a basket while the other piloted the boat.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I use (2) 600' lines. 600 feet of baited line and 6' of chain on each end will fit into a 5 gal spackle bucket. If you use 2 lines, you'll need 2 more clips.

Be one with the crab.
    62c828163c9c876f1dfe3cfa4b186f42.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

Reminds me the first time I went surf fishing down in Port Aransas, Texas for Pompano. Everyone was using shrimp for bait. Shrimp for bait? Hell... I eat shrimp too.

Dont use wings. Crabs hate skin. Use necks cut in half or thirds if large.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Use brake rotors with eye bolt through one of the stud holes for weights. Easier than concrete blocks and easier on boat when stowed. Razor clams is the best bait over the past years. Beats chicken necks 3/1.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I agree with straight shooter, you should start with 2- 600' lines. If you have one doing real well pull the other and hook to the good line, to give you 1200' of good crabbin'. Don't necessarily agree about the skin part if it's dead crabs will eat it. The reason necks are better than wings is because the crabs will clean the meat off of wings quick leaving you with a line full of bones and no crab. If you use snoods and bags you will get the most out of your bait. Clams lay a nice chum cloud around your line and bring more crabs.

A lot of people use chicken necks. Honestly you could probably use just about anything though, crabs are the garbage disposal of the chesapeake.

Funny story.. went crabbing once when I was like 6 years old, I was sitting on the floor eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. A crab got out of the basket, came over to me and took it right out of my hand. Son of a bitch ate it right there on my lap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    A lot of people use chicken necks. Honestly you could probably use just about anything though, crabs are the garbage disposal of the chesapeake.

Funny story.. went crabbing once when I was like 6 years old, I was sitting on the floor eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. A crab got out of the basket, came over to me and took it right out of my hand. Son of a bitch ate it right there on my lap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pics or it didn’t happen. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I think the best advise has already been given. Find somebody who has been trot lining for a while and ask to go along to see how things are set up. It will greatly reduce your learning cuve and the aggravation and expense of the trial and error method.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    You need “Beautiful Swimmers” by William Warner while it’s still cold. It will get you revved up for April.

Funny you mention this! I got this book as a gift about a year ago and read it over the past week. It's hard to express how much I enjoyed it. Beautifully written, expertly researched and just totally enjoyable to read! Not to mention, unbelievable prescient in his foreshadowing of what would happen to the crab populations in the 80's and 90's. I actually started this thread because I finished the book and wanted to start planning a way to go crabbing!

I really appreciate all the information. I will put it to good use. I PMed a few of you...I'd be so grateful if someone would be willing to take me out some time this season. I promise I'm safety minded, not annoying, and will bring lunch! I'm willing to drive to wherever you like to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom