• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If only I had enough property to use big boy guns for my ground hogs :-/

Oh well, I am on enough to shot them with 22s. Good enough.

So far I am going on 3 weeks without a sighting of my local ground pigs. So pretty sure the quiet segmented took care of them in the end. Just let them get back in to their dens first.

I am hoping CCI will make semi-auto segmented quiets. Just tried their new semi-auto quiets and they work fantastic in my 10/22. Noticeably quieter than subs, not as quiet as their regular quiets. Flawless function.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If only I had enough property to use big boy guns for my ground hogs :-/

Oh well, I am on enough to shot them with 22s. Good enough.

So far I am going on 3 weeks without a sighting of my local ground pigs. So pretty sure the quiet segmented took care of them in the end. Just let them get back in to their dens first.

I am hoping CCI will make semi-auto segmented quiets. Just tried their new semi-auto quiets and they work fantastic in my 10/22. Noticeably quieter than subs, not as quiet as their regular quiets. Flawless function.

Rolo

Mar 13, 2019
    Washington county
    If I'm ready to eat em. I know some older people who used to eat ground hogs years ago. Are you serious about eating them? Or does anybody?
    How about some ground hog jerky? I've thought about it.

Boil them first, then roll them in flour and either pan fry or broil them in the oven. Damn good with a cold beer. And the young ones are more tender.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I've eaten the young ones grilled and its good. Skinned an older one one time and hit some kind of scent gland near the back. :shocked4: Lost all appetite for eating the older one then. boiled it for the dog and he ate it like it was the best.

You have to read up on them or it taints the meat. I can't smell much and it was awful. :D Properly done I'd eat it, I just have plenty of venison and chickens so don't worry with them and leave them for the vultures. If you don't pay attention to those scent glands you'll find this out quickly.

Last edited:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I've got one under a shed that is between my house and my neighbor's, so there's no safe angle to shoot it. I hate it when they get under that shed :mad54:. He's young and doesn't venture too far from his hole, so I'm going to have to wait him out, and hope I catch him wandering in to another section of the yard.

I use .22 subs since I have two neighbors within 100 yards, and I like the extra challenge. One day I need to break out the .223 Vmax and really try to put a dent in this population.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Andrew Zimmer did a West Pennsyltucky show where they cooked whistle pigs. They said exactly stated here. Takes a while to do all you need to do. They made them in a stew.

owgriffin

May 15, 2012
    I don't know why this is showing up near the top as it is old. However, the ticket for groundhogs is tthe 22-250 with Remington Varminteer ammunition. It advertises explosive fragmentation via a metalic powder inside it, meaning it is a frangible round. I used to use this back when I had a place to actually shoot ground hogs. The greater question is where you can shoot groundhogs other than your own property?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Groundhogs dont offer enough reseistance to open up many big game bullets in turn its almost like shooting them with a fmj.

that's the "problem" i have. 220gr ELDX does the job regardless of the range. to quote my daughter "the insides are on the outside now".

i shot one in the head the other week and, the mind was blown. In contrast, i shot one w/ a 308 and it nearly cut it in half. I've made a 155gr load for the 300winmag, but i'm not as happy with the grouping compared to 220gr though it's still sub moa and gives a gr tolerance of +/- 0.6gr

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Should be #3 this weekend, but this is the only one recovered. Hit two others hard yesterday, but they got up and ran off after being on the ground for several seconds.

Attachments

• 20190623_163737.jpg
      20190623_163737.jpg
      182.5 KB · Views: 537

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I tested a load in my 22-250 1:10 twist. Went with 69gr bullet. Got 3 ghogs TODAY!

250, 255 and 356 yards.

ed36125aaffe5eef2ba56b5a41dd4083.jpg

ec5737f3fa01b58a43521eaa8aa4a8db.jpg

d070a89c2504ae467a60886d25c76e57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    I have one under my shed. I leave him alone.

With that username, I'm not surprised that you leave them alone.

I have them under and in my barn. One came at me once when I opened the barn door. Whacked him with a shovel.

Carroll County deputies just shoot them on the roadway with a .40 cal.

Quasar

plebe
    Dec 17, 2018
    Hill's Of Western Md.
    Savage 24V. 222/20ga over-under is the tool of choice for me. I live in Western MD. Old dairy farming area. No cattle around any more but they still make hay a couple times a year. The wistlepig population has decreased over the years compared to what it was at one time. Predators such as coyote, fox, bear, and DEATH FROM ABOVE. Hawks, Eagles and Owl have taken there toll. Rabbits are another game animal that these predators have thin out. Don't get to do it as much as i use to but still enjoy a day in the field with a gun. Presser cooking the meat is my favorite way to consume my kill. Some taders and carrots, a little onion and celery S & P. oh yea...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom