• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MindOOB

Jul 6, 2012
    I know there have been many different threads around EDC knives but I wanted to get everyone opinion on what about the best EDC knife. I am looking for an EDC knife that fits my once and done motto. Currently I have been looking at Surefires Delta and Crank knives (Does anyone have any experience with them). The idea of having a knife that can be used a screwdriver/hex wrench is great and not being a multi tool. (Multitools are great but they tend to be a lot bigger and heavier than a folding knife).

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some criteria for the knife

- Price point needs to be $500 and below
    - Needs to be a folder (Thanks MD)
    - Bombproof construction
    - durable blade (stands up to just about anything, and stays sharp)
    - light weight

Pics for clicks :D

Attachments

• photo.jpg
      photo.jpg
      110.4 KB · Views: 992

MindOOB

Jul 6, 2012
    Actually if anyone can find it the first issue of recoil mag had some great knives well below your price point.

All with multiple functions, one was sure fire but I don't remember the others.
    http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/kni...g-knife.html?gclid=CIex0eGQsLICFQjc4AodY2AAwA

55904d9bb20d08ef3c2c045b78a2b374.jpg

Yea that is the crank knife from Surefire and its on the top of my list. Do you have any experience with this? Ill have to refer by to my Recoil mag. I remember the issue you spoke of.

Is that a typo, or are you really willing to spend $500 on a knife?!

Well I don't necessary want to spend $500 for an EDC knife but I would. I have plays to pick up a Harsey Hunter for myself this hunting season and that is just a hair shy of $500. Totally worth its weight in gold. Lets be honest if you add up all your knives (assuming you have a collection) how close are you to $500?

Attachments

• Spartan Harsey Hunter 1_LRG.jpg
      Spartan Harsey Hunter 1_LRG.jpg
      86.7 KB · Views: 832

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I don't have any experience with it personally but it does have a lifetime warranty. Let's be honest your paying a little for the sure fire name but otherwise it looks quality. It has a few really nice features for a EDC.

Personally I've had the same beretta knife for 7 years now and it gets the job done and well. A EDC ends up being a beater, mine has cut everything from chicken while cooking during camping, to cocaine on the streets for testing. Hahaha obviously it no longer cuts meat but why spend mass amounts of money on something your going to beat to hell. My EDC was 50 bucks less than that thing and you couldn't offer me twice what I paid for it :)

If mine gets lost, knock on wood, I'll be picking up the sure fire but lets pray I never see that day :)

It's a tool and will be treated as such. Your going to use it as a screwdriver in a pinch, cut boxes of gun parts that arrive at your door, field dress animals, wash it in a creek, cut old fishing line, old boat rope, strings off your pants, it'll get dropped in the mud, maybe even sharted on depending on your bodily function control. What can a 500 dollar gold plated Peruvian warrior sword do that the sure fire can't?

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    Yeah, for an EDC knife I just don't see the need to spend $500. I beat my knives up, and if a $50-$100 knife can do everything the $500 one can, I don't see how it is at all beneficial to spend all the extra cash that would be much better spent elsewhere. Just my opinion though.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    If you like the Surefire, get the Surefire. It's a badass knife.

My EDC is an Emerson CQC-7V, which some may say is a bit spendy to carry in a pocket every day, but I like it.

MindOOB

Jul 6, 2012

My EDC is an Emerson CQC-7V, which some may say is a bit spendy to carry in a pocket every day, but I like it.

I am very tempted.. I understand that you end up paying more just for the "SF" logo but then again all their products are fantastic.

It's a tool and will be treated as such. Your going to use it as a screwdriver in a pinch, cut boxes of gun parts that arrive at your door, field dress animals, wash it in a creek, cut old fishing line, old boat rope, strings off your pants, it'll get dropped in the mud, maybe even sharted on depending on your bodily function control. What can a 500 dollar gold plated Peruvian warrior sword do that the sure fire can't?

That is really true and you make a great point. Just wanted to get everyones opinion on an EDC that might be more expensive since I have seen a lot of threads with tighter budgets. Although $500 for an EDC knife is ridiculous I do carry a 175 one with me right now. Would it make more sense to have a cheaper one that I would cry myself to sleep if I lost it? Probably, but who doesn't like to dream a little :D

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I'm not too keen on purchasing knives from companies that started out in a different industry. Surefire equals flashlights to me. I'm also of the mindset that a knife is a knife and it's just for cutting. If you want a screwdriver near you... just tack on an alox handle Victorinox Swiss Army knife to your keychain or one of the plethora of small-sized multitools available today. Besides, another tool that has cutting ability is a good back up. Plenty of people use their keychain tool for everyday tasks while keeping their main folding knife for the more serious stuff. I guess that means cutting up the cardboard or something. :D Leatherman's pocket-sized Juice line and key-chain sized Squirt/Micra are good ones too.

Check out the Gerber Artifact.

bb32_gerber_artifact_pocket_keychain_tool_closeup.jpg

Victorinox Cadet Black

$(KGrHqR,!qwE-Y6DPhPHBP484pEkGQ~~60_57.JPG

My suggestions won't be as tacti-cool as you'd probably like 'em to be, but the endless reviews and years "in-the-field" prove 'em to be quality blades.

The reason I like to recommend Chris Reeve knives is that the design is simple. You can also take it apart and clean and maintain it yourself. These are designed for cutting with their blade geometry and have proven to take on some tough tasks. Service is top of the line in the industry. Quality knives that literally become heirloom pieces as well. Strider? Well, Strider explains itself. If you shop around, I'm saving you around $100-$125 off your top dollar.

Chris Reeve Sebenza 21

sebenza21.jpg

Chris Reeve Umnumzaan

crk_umnumzaan_01.jpg

Chris Reeve Sebenza 21 Insingo w/micarta scales

CRKSEB21SMINSINGO.jpg

Strider SnG CC

strider_sng_cc.jpg

And, I found a pic comparing all of 'em to the Surefire

2wplawi.jpg

MindOOB

Jul 6, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions.. The Chris Reeve knives look really interesting as far as their construction and made in the USA is always a plus!

Feb 6, 2012
    Is that a typo, or are you really willing to spend $500 on a knife?!

Busse's run $500+ all the time, not all, but an ungodly portion of them do.

What size EDC are we talking about? My EDC is somewhat larger than probably most because I also carry it as my emergency tactical. (Ontario RAT 1) If you want a tough locking mechanism with a good steel consider looking at the Spyderco Manix 2 XL. Or if you want something slightly lighter try the Benchmade Griptillian (which can be customized via Benchmade's special order system).

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Busse's run $500+ all the time, not all, but an ungodly portion of them do.

Yes - but Busse doesn't make a folding knife.... yet. ;) Seeing those multi-thousand dollar small fixed blade knives makes me go: :whack:

To the OP, dare I say Hinderer?

Hinderer3120366PICTURE.jpg

Kershaw ZT-300.

zt_0300_lg.jpg

I don't know where you are, but my recent trip to Frederick introduced me to a small shop downtown called "Edgeworks". I think they literally have every knife available... from Chris Reeve to Strider to Opinel... I mean it's just endless. And, they're prices are good too!

http://www.edgeworksonline.com/

JV11B

Sep 8, 2012
    AA County, MD
    I am hard on knives and use a SOG Flash II as my EDC folder at the moment. My pride and joy is a Chris Reeve Green Beret.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've been happy with my CQC-15 and Skeletool CX, I carry both, and have carried a fixed blade AND multi-tool for years, although most of the time it was a full size multi-tool in a pouch, and I never used most of the functions. The Skeletool has a 2.5" 154CM blade, pliers/cutters, a caribiner/bottle opener, and screwdriver with interchangeable bits(can store 2 double ended bits on the tool), it is under 5oz and 4" long, about the size and weight of a medium folder, and has a pocket clip for carry, I use all it's features often, and don't really miss my older multi-tools. It has proven awesome and durable, and I use it constantly, in fact if I could only carry one or the other on most days, the Skeletool would be with me, and the Emerson left home. The CQC-15 is good for hard use on larger jobs, the grip is very secure, the blade has a recurve with big round belly for slicing, and a semi-tanto tip for peircing, and the wave feature is awesome. I usually carry the CQC-15 in my right pocket and SCX in the small watch pocket on jeans, until they make one knife that can do everything these can, I guess I'll have to carry both.

IMAG1028.jpg

IMAG1030.jpg

MindOOB

Jul 6, 2012
    To the OP, dare I say Hinderer?

I don't know where you are, but my recent trip to Frederick introduced me to a small shop downtown called "Edgeworks". I think they literally have every knife available... from Chris Reeve to Strider to Opinel... I mean it's just endless. And, they're prices are good too!

http://www.edgeworksonline.com/

I know exactly where Edgeworks is and I totally forgot about it! I think I will need to make a stop down there tomorrow.

What size EDC are we talking about? My EDC is somewhat larger than probably most because I also carry it as my emergency tactical. (Ontario RAT 1) If you want a tough locking mechanism with a good steel consider looking at the Spyderco Manix 2 XL. Or if you want something slightly lighter try the Benchmade Griptillian (which can be customized via Benchmade's special order system).

I am looking for something a little on the lighter side and something that isnt going to have a big print.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    MindOOB,

By the way, as much as I admire the fact that you'd like to stick to one knife... you'll realize that it just won't work. Every year knife manufacturers produce enough new models to keep us gagging and forking out more $.

Fact is... you'll see something that will make you go "gaga" and "I need that now". 'cause... your EDC will bore you eventually. Go with the flavor of the day and have a flavor for each day of the week.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    +1 on the skelatool, it's light enough and has most of the features of the bigger multi's.

For just a EDC folding blade...

I think you probably intend for this to also be a decent defensive blade, and a bit of prybar/screwdriver; that can still clean your nails and open a box; trim your TA-50, and spark a flame. Besides strength and versatility, looks like you are also placing a premium on weight, these factors counter one another. I'm going to recommend...

(1) crkt m16-13 (thinner/lighter) or 14 (bigger/heavy)

(2) ZT 0350 KW

JohnnyBmore

This is not a"FREE STATE"
    Feb 3, 2011
    I carry about three knives on me every day .. they total up to be about $1500 in my pocket ..lol so your $500 number is on for me ..

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA

Wanted one for 9 years. I just cant justify a EDC knife anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom