• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Lots of people recommend the zebra 701, but I think that forum groupthink is at hard at work here. Of all the millions of pens out there, why is this specific one mentioned over and over? Because somebody who's an authority mentioned it was his favorite pen maybe? Come on folks, think outside the box. Find a pen that looks good, writes well, and only then evaluate it's person-smacking qualities. Here's a few I've come up with.

Zebra pens are good, I like the Zebra Sharbo pen, it's a multicolor pen, and has a pencil too. Very handy to have. On a side note, pen review sites rate the Zebra 301 higher than the 701, has anyone compared the two? I think Zebra pens are made in Japan?

The 701 seems to be nothing more than a solid metal body version of the 301. I've used and carried both. If I'm going to jab someone with it, I'd like the stronger all metal pen. They do write well, look good in my uniform shirt picket and serve the "kubaton" roll well. They're also around $7. It's a very solid choice.

Lykaios

The Plastic Fantastic
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I guess I'll be the first to say it. Tactical pens are a scam to separate you from your money. People are suckered into buying overpriced crap just because the word "tactical" is on it, and because some guy who trains people endorsed it. There is not, and never will be anything tactical about a pen.

A pen can be a good tool for self-defense, not because it's a pen, but because it concentrates the force of your blows into a small area. You could carry a tactical dowel rod for this purpose, but a pen is actually useful when you aren't being attacked. I'm not saying the idea of a pen for self-defense is stupid, just that the idea of a tactical pen if completely silly.

Lots of people recommend the zebra 701, but I think that forum groupthink is at hard at work here. Of all the millions of pens out there, why is this specific one mentioned over and over? Because somebody who's an authority mentioned it was his favorite pen maybe? Come on folks, think outside the box. Find a pen that looks good, writes well, and only then evaluate it's person-smacking qualities. Here's a few I've come up with.

Zippo pens. I believe these are US made, have a solid brass body and look good. They run for around $15 msrp which I think is reasonable.

If you're looking at $200 Benchmade tactical pens, I have something better for you. Bexley is a high end US pen company that makes very nice, and very expensive pens. $80-300 seems to be the price range. If you have lots of money, and not enough ways to spend it, buy this.

Lamy is another company that doesn't make it's pens in China. See a pattern here? These are made in Germany. This company has a wide range of products, from pretentious $200 platinum finished pens, to $12 models. I haven't tried one, but I'm going to in the near future.

Parker pens are European made and high quality, another company worth looking into.

Zebra pens are good, I like the Zebra Sharbo pen, it's a multicolor pen, and has a pencil too. Very handy to have. On a side note, pen review sites rate the Zebra 301 higher than the 701, has anyone compared the two? I think Zebra pens are made in Japan?

Sharpie pens are what I currently carry every day, although they are a little flimsy to be hitting things with. I do love the way they write, which is why one is always in my pocket. You might want to be careful with carrying a stainless steel Sharpie (marker I assume?) because security may think you plan on tagging their bathroom stalls or something.

Cross moved all production to China from New York in 2006, and continue to charge the same prices, so screw them.

That Cold Steel extra huge marker is silly, and anyone who has one should be laughed at. (Half serious here)

While I agree with the gist of what you are saying, quite frankly you are overthinking this. I didn't realize this topic was important enough to have a box to think outside of :D

The "groupthink" thing is not always bad. People either just follow the person in front of them without thinking of problem or solution. Or they go with the same answer because their problem was similar if not exactly the same, and solution is simple and works. Why reinvent the wheel??

I didn't even think of carrying a pen like this until reading this thread. Most anything can be a weapon though so it makes sense. The only reason I went with the 701 is simply because I thought I might carry something that looks good, writes well, and is reasonably cheap.

The 701 is all of those things. Plus it is metal which is going to be more durable than a plastic Bic. If the pen was more than the 5 bucks I spent on it, I would've gone with the Bic plain and simple.

Since it more than meets what I am looking for, I am not looking for any other type. I am sure there are other brands that are just as good. I just never found them. This was the first I came across.

If zigging when most zag floats your boat, then sail away. Other than the US made issue, I see no reason to go anywhere else.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    Bought a Zebra 701 at Wal-Mart last night for $5.24, not sure if that's a going back to school special or what. This is one sweet pen!

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Don't get me wrong, I have purchases several, given a bunch away, and have used the Zebra, but it is little in my mitt.

Few weeks back while at Freestate I picked up the Pro Mag Archangel Tactical Polymer Pen and I love it. Writes nice and smooth, stout pen, good looking, and tactical enough with it's subdued black color and gray skull crushing tip. I have a box o pens from expensive to inexpensive but this had become my favorite and is on the collar of my t-shirt everyday.- George

raguado

Sep 27, 2011
    I guess I'll be the first to say it. Tactical pens are a scam to separate you from your money. People are suckered into buying overpriced crap just because the word "tactical" is on it, and because some guy who trains people endorsed it. There is not, and never will be anything tactical about a pen.

A pen can be a good tool for self-defense, not because it's a pen, but because it concentrates the force of your blows into a small area. You could carry a tactical dowel rod for this purpose, but a pen is actually useful when you aren't being attacked. I'm not saying the idea of a pen for self-defense is stupid, just that the idea of a tactical pen if completely silly.

Zippo pens. I believe these are US made, have a solid brass body and look good. They run for around $15 msrp which I think is reasonable.

If you're looking at $200 Benchmade tactical pens, I have something better for you. Bexley is a high end US pen company that makes very nice, and very expensive pens. $80-300 seems to be the price range. If you have lots of money, and not enough ways to spend it, buy this.

Lamy is another company that doesn't make it's pens in China. See a pattern here? These are made in Germany. This company has a wide range of products, from pretentious $200 platinum finished pens, to $12 models. I haven't tried one, but I'm going to in the near future.

Parker pens are European made and high quality, another company worth looking into.

Sharpie pens are what I currently carry every day, although they are a little flimsy to be hitting things with. I do love the way they write, which is why one is always in my pocket. You might want to be careful with carrying a stainless steel Sharpie (marker I assume?) because security may think you plan on tagging their bathroom stalls or something.

Cross moved all production to China from New York in 2006, and continue to charge the same prices, so screw them.

That Cold Steel extra huge marker is silly, and anyone who has one should be laughed at. (Half serious here)
    I agree to an extent. What's this obsession now with "tactical pens?" If you have to use a pen....just use your fist. Seems everything with the word "tactical" has to have a relation with combat or survival. A pen?? Don't count on it to save you! My Job has me traveling to many third world countries. When possible, I carry a concealed gun. Even a concealed knife. I've had to use either one to save my life on more than one occasion! No "tactical pen" would have saved me. By the way...I did purchase a County Comm Embassy pen, which I had converted to a concealed knife: (took out the pen cartridge and had a 2 and a half inch long, spear type blade welded in.). Not exactly an extreem weapon, but it will do more damage than the pen itself, as a last ditch weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom