• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Carlos Patalinghug at Kick Connection in Pasadena teaches eskrima. Here's a video of his brother (a priest) and him with his students. This was taken in towson.

Here's a little exhibition down at arundel mills.

no kidding!! my best friend was thought by mr. carlos and his brother (forgot his name... but heard he went become a priest?).. they are great people.. i went to an exhibition way back then w/ my friend in baltimore.. they always put a good show.. dont know if my friend still goes there (d.castro).

Porsche

Around...
    Jul 7, 2010
    wow the guy in the second video is amazingly fast, there are a few more videos of him on youtube and even though he is probably 5 feet tall i bet hed kick most peoples asses! :innocent0

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    This substantiates the 21 foot drill.

When it comes to handgun training, make sure you cam come fro
    the holster to a shot on target FAST! MSGT Paul Howe has a standard of < 2 seconds taught in his pistol courses. Something easy to train at home, dry fire. I especially consider this with my current employment as a necessary skill.

Once a trained knife fighter gets to you, the warm tingly sensation may well be your own blood.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have a lot of respect for Philippine fighting techniques. Prior to being stationed there I was corraled into being an advanced edge weapon instructor part time for what later because Spec Ops forces (mainly SEALS then). I had developed many of these techniques while growing up in the Hispanic side of a SW city that was notorious in the TV program COPS. I was introduced to Judo by Sam Allred (MA HOF member), who was my JHS science teacher. By the time I joined the USN in 1966 I had perfected many one off techniques on my own. A medical condition prevented me from becoming a SEAL so I went into the spook branch. While training on Treasure Island (SF Bay) I was reluctantly dragged into a match on knife fighting against the senior instructor for the UDT/SEAL group. I "killed" him 3 straight times. Didn't matter whether he was armed or not. After that some of the students wanted to learn some of my techniques so I started a voluntary part time class on weekends. I was then sent to USCOMMSTA San Miguel, Philippines as my next duty station. There I found a dojo and started taking instruction from a local sensei of Japanese Karate named Fernandez. We exchanged many techniques and there I learned my initial techniques with the balisong, which for years after became my blade of choice. From there I developed new methods of using the balisong, including faster opening techniques. When I moved to MD I started taking Wu-Shu with the Lin brothers in the 70's (Dennis Brown was a student-instructor then) concentrating mostly on Chinese weapon techniques. I loved going to Maryland gun shows over the years and demonstrating many of these knife techniques. Unfortunately over the years MD has put the balisong on the prohibited carry list. Now gun shows are the only place I can do this. That along with arthritis in my left hand anyway.
    But I really loved my time in the Philippines, especially the people.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have a lot of respect for Philippine fighting techniques. Prior to being stationed there I was corraled into being an advanced edge weapon instructor part time for what later because Spec Ops forces (mainly SEALS then). I had developed many of these techniques while growing up in the Hispanic side of a SW city that was notorious in the TV program COPS. I was introduced to Judo by Sam Allred (MA HOF member), who was my JHS science teacher. By the time I joined the USN in 1966 I had perfected many one off techniques on my own. A medical condition prevented me from becoming a SEAL so I went into the spook branch. While training on Treasure Island (SF Bay) I was reluctantly dragged into a match on knife fighting against the senior instructor for the UDT/SEAL group. I "killed" him 3 straight times. Didn't matter whether he was armed or not. After that some of the students wanted to learn some of my techniques so I started a voluntary part time class on weekends. I was then sent to USCOMMSTA San Miguel, Philippines as my next duty station. There I found a dojo and started taking instruction from a local sensei of Japanese Karate named Fernandez. We exchanged many techniques and there I learned my initial techniques with the balisong, which for years after became my blade of choice. From there I developed new methods of using the balisong, including faster opening techniques. When I moved to MD I started taking Wu-Shu with the Lin brothers in the 70's (Dennis Brown was a student-instructor then) concentrating mostly on Chinese weapon techniques. I loved going to Maryland gun shows over the years and demonstrating many of these knife techniques. Unfortunately over the years MD has put the balisong on the prohibited carry list. Now gun shows are the only place I can do this. That along with arthritis in my left hand anyway.
    But I really loved my time in the Philippines, especially the people.

(note to self: dont mess with this photoracer guy :ohnoes:)

welcome to the forum:thumbsup:

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    This substantiates the 21 foot drill.

When it comes to handgun training, make sure you cam come fro
    the holster to a shot on target FAST! MSGT Paul Howe has a standard of < 2 seconds taught in his pistol courses. Something easy to train at home, dry fire. I especially consider this with my current employment as a necessary skill.

Once a trained knife fighter gets to you, the warm tingly sensation may well be your own blood.

+1000 on FOX
    Seriously, is there enough interest on this forum to start a informal knife/eskrima group? I am definitely interested. I know bits and pieces, but I can definitely use a refresher - nothing wrong with having an extra edge.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I'd love to get in on this proposed group but I'm down in Southern MD and I'm sure no where close to the action as usual. I started training in Shotokan Karate beginning of this year and would like to supplement it and this stuff looks like a good discipline to know.

LastDon

Feb 7, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I'd be interested in a training group. I teach Muay thai at a gym north of Baltimore and might be able to speak with the owner about using the facilities.

Punchabearinnamouf

High Tech Redneck
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hollywood, MD
    I'd love to get in on this proposed group but I'm down in Southern MD and I'm sure no where close to the action as usual. I started training in Shotokan Karate beginning of this year and would like to supplement it and this stuff looks like a good discipline to know.

I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to learn Kung Fu (Specifically Hung Gar and Wing Chun) but all I have are books, videos, and a friend with some martial arts background.
    I'd be interested in the knife fighting if there were some sort of group down here though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom