• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Opps, my bad ! The Dangerous and deadly weapons Statute does explicetly include Switchblades as inherently prohibited.

That being said, in the case of modern designs that look like "normal" folders rather that sterotypical "West Side Story" stilletos they have undoubtedly carried by many for years under the radar even when observed in casual circumstances by rank and file LE .

Don't hold your breath for similar reaction from homicide Detective or States Atty should you have to use it in SD.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    recently got a 5:11 journeymans knife on sale for $40. It's an emmerson karambit style without the wave feature. Once deployed i love the design for any kind of fighting...but getting the blade out just isn't practical one handed to do very fast. My thumb can get to the hole, but i've got to turn it sideways a little then shift my hand back to a solid grip. Through training and using it as an everyday knockaround knife i've become proficient and developed plenty of muscle memory to get it out quick without thinking about it.

51009[1].jpg
    my SOG spec elite is another story. it's a fairly big blade for a folder and made of vg-10. the thing takes a wicked edge and holds on to it for a while. I find that i can deploy the SOG faster than anything else i have carried(that includes a front opening concord i always used to carry until my friend borrowed it and broke it). By pulling the axis lock with your index finger and thumb, it removes all resistance to flicking the blade open. I can draw, pull lock, flick out and release lock to have a blade ready to go very fast. So far it had proven to be the best knife i've carried...including the crkt m-1613t which i also love.
    Italian_Concord_Black_Black_Serrated.jpg
    spec elite.jpg

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    FWIW, I would not carry a karambit for SD...anywhere. When the do the electronic discovery and they will the first thing that will pop up is Indonesian Fighting Knife. YMMV. And once again you need something that has a trainer available if you are serious about this stuff.- George

Otter

Sep 25, 2009
    I would not carry a karambit for SD...anywhere. When the do the electronic discovery and they will the first thing that will pop up is Indonesian Fighting Knife. YMMV. And once again you need something that has a trainer available if you are serious about this stuff.- George

Mercop, the karambit meets the definition of a pen knife under PRM law - it should be good to go for carry in this state. So even if it comes up in electronic discovery as an Indonesian Fighting Knife its made in the USA and for legal purposes is a pen knife (obviously correct me if I am wrong).

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    You are correct on all points. I was just posting my opinion, the K even when carried closed in the pocket attracts a lot of attention. The look of it will not help you especially in civil court. I believe that all citizens should be able to carry whatever they want to defend themselves. As a retired police officer (who was involved in lots of knife cases) and a trainer I just felt the need to bring to light that there are knives that may make things worse for you down the road. As far as the knife, it is not the idea of where it is make but the history behind the design. Only meant to help?- George

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    Not in MD, any fixed blade is considered a Bowie Knife and is illegal. I would rather see everyone carry a Spyderco Endura (and get a trainer) and some training (hopefully mine:)).- George

Is there any reason why you're partial to that particular model of Spyderco?

What do you think of the Police model, the Military, or the Tenacious?

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    The #1 reason is the availability is of a trainer. Talking about using a knife without ever being able to safely train with it is kind of silly. Kinda like carrying a gun without being able to draw it it out of your holster for practice.

People have this fixation with the perfect knife and the perfect gun saving their a$$. What they need is some training.- George

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Yes, sort of. A switchblade is a dangerous and deadly weapon by definition. Criminal Law 4-101(c) says:
    (1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.
    (2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.
    Therefore if you are carrying it openly you are not violating the statute. However there is no statewide preemption of knife laws like there is with firearms. As pointed out earlier in the thread each municipality can have its own laws.
    Also as a practical matter, and with no disrespect intended, I would hazard a guess that the number of police officers who know this area of the law is very small. Odds are if you are caught with a switchblade it will be at best confiscated or worst you will be arrested.
    Lastly as pointed out a holder of a permit to carry a handgun is exempted from the concealed weapons statute CR 4-101(b)(3). So if you have one you can carry those dirks, bowie knives, nunchaku, star knives and switchblades concealed.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    People have this fixation with the perfect knife and the perfect gun saving their a$$. What they need is some training.- George
    As a musician, I see this kind of thing all of the time. While great gear will never hinder you, it's not the gear itself that gets you where you need to go. I see people waste thousands and thousands of dollars on this instrument or that, or various instrument accessories, I guess with the idea that they can throw money at their playing issues with the hopes that they will go away if they get the right piece of gear. Their money would be much better spent on obtaining decent gear and investing in finding a good teacher and taking some lessons.

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    It is all the same thing. Having Tang in your cabinet does not make you and Astronaut. We get people in classes all the time with real expensive guns who have been to the big name schools. They we hand them and airsoft and put them in a realistic scenario agianst a living breath person and they fall apart.

When most people think about edged weapons they think about using one, not defending open handed against one. What we know from research is that the later is much more likely and you will not see the weapon.- George

Otter

Sep 25, 2009
    You are correct on all points. I was just posting my opinion, the K even when carried closed in the pocket attracts a lot of attention. The look of it will not help you especially in civil court. I believe that all citizens should be able to carry whatever they want to defend themselves. As a retired police officer (who was involved in lots of knife cases) and a trainer I just felt the need to bring to light that there are knives that may make things worse for you down the road. As far as the knife, it is not the idea of where it is make but the history behind the design. Only meant to help?- George

I appreciate the help and completely value your insight - you make a great point with it attracting attention and not winning any support in civil court... thanks George!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It is all the same thing. Having Tang in your cabinet does not make you and Astronaut. We get people in classes all the time with real expensive guns who have been to the big name schools. They we hand them and airsoft and put them in a realistic scenario agianst a living breath person and they fall apart.

When most people think about edged weapons they think about using one, not defending open handed against one. What we know from research is that the later is much more likely and you will not see the weapon.- George

:lol::lol::lol:that is funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny. gunna haveta remember that one

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I believe the above is correct. Also certain places like Gaithersburg have certain ordinances pertaining to blade carry.
    I'd like to know what types of laws Gaithersburg has. It is more restrictive than the rest of the state? It is also part of Montgomery County, so do the laws differ from the county?

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    recently got a 5:11 journeymans knife on sale for $40. It's an emmerson karambit style without the wave feature. Once deployed i love the design for any kind of fighting...but getting the blade out just isn't practical one handed to do very fast. ...

my SOG spec elite is another story. it's a fairly big blade for a folder and made of vg-10. the thing takes a wicked edge and holds on to it for a while. ...
    I've handled many knives that open as quickly as automatic knives, and they open instantly. One is the Cold Steel Recon 1; another is the Cold Steel Ti-Lite 6-inch. These are the fastest knives I know of, though there are a number of CRKT knives that are inexpensive and fast.

cdawg

May 4, 2010
    Boonsboro,MD
    (Shallot Black – 1840CKT Kershaw) Thats what I have carried for years! love it and lightning fast!

Attachments

• 1840ckt_small.png
      1840ckt_small.png
      2.1 KB · Views: 114

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    I've handled many knives that open as quickly as automatic knives, and they open instantly. One is the Cold Steel Recon 1; another is the Cold Steel Ti-Lite 6-inch. These are the fastest knives I know of, though there are a number of CRKT knives that are inexpensive and fast.

Truth. The Recon 1 is FAAAST.... :thumbsup: The Gunsite, while large and useful, is not so fast and is almost awkward. Another fast opening one is the Smith and Wesson SWAT, but that's a crappy blade.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I'd like to know what types of laws Gaithersburg has. It is more restrictive than the rest of the state? It is also part of Montgomery County, so do the laws differ from the county?

Gaithersburg City Code:

Sec. 15-16. - Same—Possession on streets.

It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer, to have in his possession while on the streets of the city any revolver, pistol, blackjack, brass knuckles, razor or other dangerous weapon, except unloaded guns used for the hunting of game

Montgomery County Code:

41.00.01.03 Prohibited Conduct
    A. While participating in a recreation program, a person must not:

1. engage in disruptive behavior;

2. carry a weapon into a recreation facility, except as otherwise provided by law; or

3. engage in any conduct that is specifically prohibited by a notice conspicuously posted at a recreation facility.

B. A person must not refuse, after engaging in conduct prohibited under subsection (A), to accurately identify himself or herself when asked to do so by a staff person assigned to the recreation facility.

Weapon - Any instrument that a person can use to cause physical injury to another person. Weapons include, but are not limited to, knives, metal knuckles, and firearms as defined in the federal Gun Control Act of 1868 (18 U.S.C., § 921(a)

Also:

Sec. 2-17. State of public emergency
    (b) Emergency powers.

(1) When the County Executive finds that a public emergency, as defined in subsection (a), exists, the Executive may immediately declare in writing a state of emergency.

(2) After declaring a state of emergency, the County Executive, to protect the public safety and welfare, may take any of the following actions:

(A) Curfew. Order a general or limited curfew applicable to the entire County or any specific geographic area of the County, during specific hours.

(B) Alcoholic Beverages. Order the closing or partial closing of all retail liquor stores and any other business, including a private club, where alcoholic beverages are served or sold, and restrict the consumption of alcoholic beverages in a public street or place or in any motor vehicle.

(C) Gasoline and Explosives. Prohibit or limit the sale, distribution, or transport of gasoline or other explosive, flammable, or combustible products; and order the closing of, or otherwise restrict, gasoline stations and other businesses which sell, distribute, or otherwise use any explosive, flammable, or combustible product.

(D) Firearms and Ammunitions. Prohibit or limit the sale, distribution, or transport of firearms or ammunition; and order the closing of, or impose any other restriction on, any person or business that sells, distributes, or transports firearms or ammunition.

(E) Weapons. Order that no person may carry, wear or otherwise transport personally or by vehicle any rock, bottle, club, brick, knife, gun, or any other weapon, or any incendiary missile, fire bomb, or explosive.

(F) Restricted Areas. Designate any specific geographic area, street, or building as a restricted area, and order that no person may enter any restricted area unless in the performance of official duties or for other specified reasons.

(G) Facilities and Personnel. Require the use of any facility, equipment, building or land owned or controlled by the County or any other government agency located in the County as necessary during the emergency; direct the police or any other County employee to perform duties as necessary; and buy or rent equipment, materials, and property as necessary to protect life and property during the emergency.

(H) Other Orders. Issue any other order immediately necessary to protect life and property during a declared emergency

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom