• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KMA

Jan 17, 2010
    harford county
    Refer to assisted knife.com they post a complete list of all state restrictions

Otter

Sep 25, 2009
    I haven't clicked on the link yet but I have seen other less expensive assisted open knives and notices that the safety/ release buttons are plastic and protrude a lot and figured they would possibly become unsafe. What can you tell me about your experience with he one you mentioned above.

I don't have any safety concerns with my SOG Flash II. It is a tool and a weapon and I treat it as such. Let me add that I have carried both assisted opening and automatic knives here at home and in Iraq. In Iraq I always carried an automatic knife in my right pocket with the clip holding it in place. My Benchmade Auto is set up so that when it is clipped into my right pocket the point of the blade is down and the back of the blade is against the back of the pocket. If (and I've never had it happen) the button is inadvertently activated the blade is not likely to open because it fits snug against the pocket but I can also pull it quickly and activate it in a struggle.

Here at home I carry the Flash II in a similar fashion. There is a metal safety on the Flash II (and the Benchmade) that will help prevent accidental activation or opening. The Flash II opens via a metal spring once you start the motion with your thumb. All of the functions are metal not plastic. Obviously safety is important but I can say in my experience you can trust these knives... Stick with the reputable companies, you will pay a little more for them but they are worth every penny.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    *** Warning ! The first section I got wrong. Instead of fixing here, I posted the correct info farther down the Thread. ***

(Wishing for a certain "not a lawyer" who would have already posted several citiations)

Cutting thru various chases, if you do things just right you could end up legally owning and possesing one in Md, in your private home.

The referenced vagueness is the absense of a statute that explisitedly says " Thou shall not pack a switchblade".

However looking to the statute and caselaw on Dangerous and Deadly Weapons you would undoubtably find you Automatic lumped in under the catagory of "Dirks,Daggers, and Bowie Knives " as inherently deadly weapons, as opposed to ( for example) normal fixed blade knives or baseball bats, where their status depends on the totality of circumstances, the situation, you actions & intent.

The other, other option nobody mentioned is that the "common jackknife exception" does explicitely apply even when the folding knife is carried already open. I know of at least one custom Kydex maker who will make sheaths for locked open folding knives.

Last edited:

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    I EDC a Benchmade 9100 Auto Styker and have for more than six years. I think it is all about the attitude you present. My knife is a tool and that is how I think of it. I have been in bar fights and have never dreamed of pulling it out.
    I once forgot to leave it in the car while going to public records at the Annapolis courthouse. I went inside, went straight to the baliff at the metal detector, handed it to him and asked him to hold it while I ran downstairs. He took it, opened it, commented on the quality of Benchmade knives, and placed it in a manila folder under the desk.
    When I returned from downstairs he and his buddy were joking as he handed it back about how he was hoping I would forget the knife and he could keep it.

This is the same as mine only mine shows much, much more wear.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa09B0v64Mo

Last edited:

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    There isn't a manual folder, switchblade or spring assist deployment kinfe made that deploys faster than the Emerson knives featuring the patented "wave" opening feature. (I believe that Spyderco has purchased the rights to use it on some of their knives too.) In my opinion, there isn't a nastier combat folder than the Emerson Karambit. It's lightning fast, (deploys as you pull it out of your pocket) it's automatically in your hand in a combat grip, and you can't really drop it because your finger is looped into it. To top it off, the blade is short enough that it meets or beats laws that govern blade length on pocket folders. Love it!

Emerson-KARAMBIT-BT-rw-10604-26069.jpg

It solves the problem (to me anyway) of wanting to carry a switchblade - it's perfectly legal, and it's a great design if you are looking for a self-defense knife to carry.

I have a Spyderco Endura 4 Wave and it works great.

I also have a Spyderco Tenacious that I fastened a zip tie to and it also functions as a poor-man's wave feature. I actually like it better because it doesn't tear up my pants as much as the Endura.

Here is a video of the mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYq82P06eMw&feature=watch_response_rev

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a Spyderco Endura 4 Wave and it works great.

I also have a Spyderco Tenacious that I fastened a zip tie to and it also functions as a poor-man's wave feature. I actually like it better because it doesn't tear up my pants as much as the Endura.

Here is a video of the mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYq82P06eMw&feature=watch_response_rev
    I don't typically use the wave feature on my Emerson unless I'm showing it to someone, so tearing up my jeans or pants is pretty much a non-issue, but I like the idea of the zip-tie to add the capability to less expensive knives.

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    I have seen many convincing arguments stating that it is in fact legal to OPENLY carry a switchblade in MD. I do not want to be a test case.

That being said, don't just look at state law, make sure to look at the local laws where you live, and anywhere you may travel with such a knife.

For instance, POSSESSION of swtichblades is prohibited in Baltimore City. You have to dig through the city laws to find that out though.

Get a Kershaw. Nice knives, cheap, and legal (but maybe not in some parts of MoCo).

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    I cannot advocate waved, assisted, or automatic knives for self-defense. We have found the lack or training knives and the failure rate during the Folder into the Fight Drill.- George

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Any folder is not really faster to get into action then another. A dual action auto is easy to use with one hand.

Carry a solid Benchmade/Emerson/Spyderco if you want a good American made knife that will last forever.

May 25, 2009
    There isn't a manual folder, switchblade or spring assist deployment kinfe made that deploys faster than the Emerson knives featuring the patented "wave" opening feature. (I believe that Spyderco has purchased the rights to use it on some of their knives too.) In my opinion, there isn't a nastier combat folder than the Emerson Karambit. It's lightning fast, (deploys as you pull it out of your pocket) it's automatically in your hand in a combat grip, and you can't really drop it because your finger is looped into it. To top it off, the blade is short enough that it meets or beats laws that govern blade length on pocket folders. Love it!
    [/IMG]

It solves the problem (to me anyway) of wanting to carry a switchblade - it's perfectly legal, and it's a great design if you are looking for a self-defense knife to carry.

Ask mercop how he feels about the wave design(doh, somehow he posted before me, see above)...He instructs edged weapon classes and seems to know his stuff. After a little playing around with my Cold Steel Spartan, I'm inclined to agree with him. It's tough to deploy a waved knife while in any position but standing straight up and completely free of all obstruction. Not the sort of thing I would rely on if I was say, wrestling an attacker on the ground. It's great for a knife you intend to use for other things, but for defense I feel like it's maybe not the best option.

That knife however, is kinda hawt. I like curved and exotic blade styles.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Ask mercop how he feels about the wave design(doh, somehow he posted before me, see above)...He instructs edged weapon classes and seems to know his stuff. After a little playing around with my Cold Steel Spartan, I'm inclined to agree with him. It's tough to deploy a waved knife while in any position but standing straight up and completely free of all obstruction. Not the sort of thing I would rely on if I was say, wrestling an attacker on the ground. It's great for a knife you intend to use for other things, but for defense I feel like it's maybe not the best option.

That knife however, is kinda hawt. I like curved and exotic blade styles.
    I don't see how a standard folder would be any better as a self-defense knife than any of the others he mentioned. Deployment of ANY self-defense weapon, be it a gun, a folding knife or a fixed blade knife can be a problem depending on the situation.

And let's not forget that Ernest Emerson is the one who designed the folding Karambit and other knives with the wave opening feature, and let's also not forget his place of prominence when it comes to teaching edged weapons defense tactics. I know who Ernest Emerson is - I don't know who Mercop is. Suffice it to say if I had to choose between the two for whose advice to take, I'd take Emerson - I don't mean that as disrespect because I'm sure that Mercop has his reasons for believing what he does regarding using the aforementioned types of knives for self-defense.

We have found the lack or training knives and the failure rate during the Folder into the Fight Drill.- George
    I don't understand what you were getting at with that sentence. Are you saying that there is a lack of folding training knives and that you have to factor their failure rate into your training drills?

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    I will start off with -
    "George Matheis (mercop) is a tough guy. He teaches a tough, no-nonsense brand of combatives born and bred for the street. It works. I've seen it and I've felt it. I'm glad he's on our side!" - Ernest Emerson

Ernie and I are friends. I am not a fan of Waved knives with one exception. The only knife I have 100% faith in from any position for weapon retention is the Emerson Combat Karambit worn reaction side in reverse grip. For me it is a one trick pony that cannot be matched even with a fixed blade (if drawn with the weak hand). You can get to it from any position, including seated, and you can retain it after drawing your pistol and while shooting.

That said there are only three ways to know if your knife has fully opened-
    You hear it...not likely
    You see it....usually taking your eyes off of the threat
    You feel it...bloody fingers

When drawing a waved knife you have what I call a "pinch" grip. This is not a very workable grip under the best case scenario. But under combat stress when you will be experiencing vasoconstriction (blood pooling into your core from your extremities) you will loose tactile sensation. A waved knife worn traditionally is opened towards the rear. This is not physically possible if you are flat against a vertical surface or on the ground. You are also moving your hand behind your back and away from your attacker. This creates what I refer to as a grappler's hook. It becomes very easy for your attacker to isolate your strong hand from your weapons band, or if you have your knife to isolate it to the point where it is out of play. Even without physical contact when people draw into the pinch grip and the blade fails to deploy they become task fixated on the knife and begin "whipping" it trying to cause it to open. This ofter results in the knife being dropped.

This is going to sound strange coming form an edged weapon instructor but for most the idea of using any knife for self-defense is a romantic fantasy. This is the reason why we teach Spontaneous Attack Survival against Edged Weapons before Inverted Edge Tactics. This program has been taught to the Air Force Special Operations Command DAGRE teams, the Maryland Department of Corrections Special Operations Group, the Southwest Alabama Regional Police Academy (currently being considered for AL POST certification), and other civilian classes. Real self-defense starts with the open hand, even if you just put a tool in it. You cannot wish a gun or knife into your hand.

For those interested in the Spontaneous Attack Survival for Edged Weapons we are doing it on 15MAY10 in New Freedom PA. Here is the link-
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=32880

MCS training is based on research, science, and human anatomy, not egos, blac kbelts and BS. I would love to see some more edged weapon related discussion here.- George

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Fair enough - again, I meant no disrespect and you've pointed out a number of valid reasons that a folding knife might not be a great bet as a self-defense weapon.

My only thought is that with things being the way they are in the state of Maryland where I can't carry a concealed handgun, a knife is the next best thing, and that's why I like the Emerson desinged knives with the wave opening feature. Nothing is perfect and yeah, there is a possibility it could fail, but with some practice, you can get near 100% deployment with the Emerson knives, they are tough, and will take a fair amount of abuse. Compared to the typical switch blade mentioned in the original post, Emerson knives outclass them in virtually every way, to include beating them at speed of deployment.

A friend of mine has several folding Emerson knives and I've fiddled with his folding Karambit a fair amount - I would love to own a Karambit and wear it just as you described, but at the moment, trying to justify a $150+ knife that I'm not positive I really know how to use, and that really only has one use...you see what I'm getting at.

Cool stuff Mercop - I might have to check into your courses.

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    No worries, just wanted to put my creds out there. IMHO if you don't have a blue gun for your pistol, and a trainer for your folder to do force on force you are just counting on bullsh*t and fairy dust.

Emersons have trainers available, I have one for my Karambit (gift from Ernie), but they are expensive.

Deploying any tool on your own vs doing so in reaction to a threat are two different things.

Not to go off track...but over the last year or so I have been shooting pretty much nothing but my Airsoft G19 because of ammo prices. The only time I really shoot live is when someone hosts me or during a course. A few weeks ago I was doing a course in Indianapolis and was out shooting with their SWAT team, I shot the best out of the group and had no degeneration of skills. Too many people train to make a pile of once fired brass.- George

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Not to go off track...but over the last year or so I have been shooting pretty much nothing but my Airsoft G19 because of ammo prices. The only time I really shoot live is when someone hosts me or during a course. A few weeks ago I was doing a course in Indianapolis and was out shooting with their SWAT team, I shot the best out of the group and had no degeneration of skills. Too many people train to make a pile of once fired brass.- George
    Haha - I totally understand. Exampe (sorry if I'm dragging this too far off topic) I reload to save some cash, and when I do, I don't load heavy - if all I'm going to do is punch holes in paper, then there is no point for anything heavy - I want a load that is going to be accurate and is mild enough to be fun to shoot so that I can work on what's important - my shooting fundamentals and accuracy.

With that in mind, along with your comment about people accumulating piles of once-fired brass, I was at the range one day and watched a guy shooting heavy factory loads out of a snub-nose .357 mag revolver. This guy had HORRIBLE fundamentals and although it was obvious he was trying to practice, he was flinching so badly he was barely even on the paper (man sized target) at the 15-20 feet he had it. He shot his 6, and squeezed off the trigger on an already fired cylinder and literally flinched INCHES. I just didn't understand what he thought he was going to accomplish with his approach to shooting.

Ok - we can get back to the topic now. Any suggestions on a legal fixed blade that is good for SD?

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Not in MD, any fixed blade is considered a Bowie Knife and is illegal. I would rather see everyone carry a Spyderco Endura (and get a trainer) and some training (hopefully mine:)).- George

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom