• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    The Wave has failed horribly in our Folder into the Fight Drill. You only get a "pinch" grip on the draw and as you readjust it ends up getting dropped a lot. Try it with a trainer. I am good friends with Ernie Emerson and he knows how I feel about the Wave for defensive reason. Now the Emerson Karmabit worn on the reaction side in the reverse grip is a different thing all together.- George

Hmm. Since I've gotten in on Friday I must have opened it via the wave hundreds of times. I've never dropped it...yet.:eek:

Also with my Whirlwind, I still have to take it out of my pocket with a pinch grip, re-adjust and then open. So the Endura saves me one movement.

WbradM

Oct 3, 2009
    Gravity knife

I thought, at least as far as MD law was concerned balisongs fell under the category of gravity knives or a knife opened by inertia...? (don't know the exact language)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I thought, at least as far as MD law was concerned balisongs fell under the category of gravity knives or a knife opened by inertia...? (don't know the exact language)

The key words are ease of openning, locked into position and release catch button (in the handle) for a gravity knife to be a switchblade as I read it. A balisong while it could be locked into position it is not automatically locked into the open position, it does not have a release button and it takes more than just one flick of the wrist to open. So IMO the definition that remains is if it is a penknife and the courts said that any knife not a switchblade that folds into the handle is a penknife.

4 In Savoy v. State, 236 Md. 36, 202 A.2d 324 (1964), the question was whether a "gravity knife" was one of the types of knives spelled out in ? 36(a). A gravity knife was described "as being similar to a switchblade knife, in that, when a button is pressed, the blade drops out." Id. at 39,202 A.2d 324. The gravity knife in that case "was not in good working order, but while it would not open in the normal manner, [by gravity,] the blade[, when opened,] could be locked into position, apparently with a flick of the wrist . . . . [T]here was no testimony that it was incapable of being used." Id. Savoy deemed that the question "more properly stated, [was] whether there was sufficient evidence from which the jury could find that the knife constituted a dangerous or deadly weapon." Id. The Court found that the question was properly submitted to the jury. The "penknife without switchblade" exception was not addressed.
    http://md.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.\md\pls\1991\19910226_0040341.MD.htm/qx

May 25, 2009
    Funny how criminals carry junk. If I was a gangbanger, I'd invest my hard stolen cash into a few Spydercos, or a Benchmade...yeah...a gold class one.

I was once robbed(well, he tried) at knife point. He was wielding a slip joint folder, very rusty, with a MAYBE 2 inch blade. Not that I don't consider it a weapon, but when I drew my 6" Ti-Lite after he tried to stick me, it just looked pathetic. He ran. Since then I try to carry large, flashy knives. At night, the glimmer of a 6" blade is a scary sight. Right now I carry the cold steel Spartan. Not QUITE as long, but still very intimidating. I'll be ordering a Rajah at some point.

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Hmm. Since I've gotten in on Friday I must have opened it via the wave hundreds of times. I've never dropped it...yet.:eek:

Also with my Whirlwind, I still have to take it out of my pocket with a pinch grip, re-adjust and then open. So the Endura saves me one movement.

Most people don't until they try doing it force on force.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Most people don't until they try doing it force on force.

Well, I could definitely see how it could be difficult when you're already wrestling or grappling with an assailant because it requires free movement of the entire arm in order to deploy the blade, which is a pretty significant factor I suppose.

However, if there is significant distance between yourself and the attacker, I don't see how it can be an impairment.

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Come and train, we can show you.

Your attacker is coming from the front, do you really want to move your strong hand down, away, and backwards from your body. There are only three way to know if a knife is open-
    See it
    Hear it
    Feel it (as it closes across your knuckles)

Presenting a waved knife only allows you with a "pinch grip". Under stress you will experience vasoconstriction (blood pooling into your chest cavity from you extremities). Feels kinda like when you get cold and tremble. You loose tactile sensation in your finger tips first. This = dropped knives.- George

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Come and train, we can show you.

Your attacker is coming from the front, do you really want to move your strong hand down, away, and backwards from your body. There are only three way to know if a knife is open-
    See it
    Hear it
    Feel it (as it closes across your knuckles)

Presenting a waved knife only allows you with a "pinch grip". Under stress you will experience vasoconstriction (blood pooling into your chest cavity from you extremities). Feels kinda like when you get cold and tremble. You loose tactile sensation in your finger tips first. This = dropped knives.- George

Couldn't the same be said of an auto or an assisted?

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    spy_fgkeating.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads