• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    got this in myrtle beach a few years ago.
    100_1702.jpg

Stilettos are cool and fun to play with, but I see very little practical use for one. I like a blade with a nice belly for utility cutting tasks. Also, I like having a pocket clip, which no stilettos have.

If I were to use an automatic, I'd go with a Benchmade Auto-Axis. It takes more deliberate movements to unlock the blade because you have to pull back on the Axis lock as opposed to pressing a button. So it's much less likely to close on your fingers.

However, I just don't see the advantage of autos over a good assisted like a Kershaw Whirlwind or Blur. They're not prone to opening up inside your pocket or closing on your fingers like many button lock autos. They don't need safeties because there is a bias to keep them closed. They're also lightning fast.

That being said, I'd still like to add a stiletto to my collection for the novelty factor.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I've handled many knives that open as quickly as automatic knives, and they open instantly. One is the Cold Steel Recon 1; another is the Cold Steel Ti-Lite 6-inch. These are the fastest knives I know of, though there are a number of CRKT knives that are inexpensive and fast.

love my recon1 - barely takes a twitch to open it. I can open it faster than I can point it at a bad guy. I can also close it one handed unlike my crkt assisted opener with double safety locks.

May 25, 2009
    does that include the small neck knives like this?

41LrQlmTT%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes. You can OC a fixed blade knife if you have no intentions of harming someone, but it's just not a good idea IMO. A small knife like this would be easy to accidentally "conceal". It's hard to keep small blades totally visible.

That said, I occasionally OC a Cold Steel push dagger. Which is probably a horrible idea should I ever get stopped by police, but I risk it every now and again.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    That being said, I'd still like to add a stiletto to my collection for the novelty factor.

thats pretty much all i got it for was a novelty. it was an impulse buy i was 22 and never saw them for sale before.

its good for West Side Story re-enactments;)

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Yes. You can OC a fixed blade knife if you have no intentions of harming someone, but it's just not a good idea IMO. A small knife like this would be easy to accidentally "conceal". It's hard to keep small blades totally visible.

That said, I occasionally OC a Cold Steel push dagger. Which is probably a horrible idea should I ever get stopped by police, but I risk it every now and again.

Dagger would cause you problems. And yes the little TDI would be illegal if concealed. - George

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom