• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Is it rod and reel only or is bowfishing ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you ever seen the Blackwater?

You would have a hard time seeing one enough to get a shot off

Last edited:

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    No problem
    I have duck hunted in the area from a kayak. While paddling ,I have spooked some big fish 3-4 ft away quite a few times.Couldnt tell what kind of fish they were until one actually arched its back out of the water and that one definitely was a snakehead.The others could have been carp,gar bass.....anything that grows big.

I dont know what the water is like in the Summer,but in winter,you can quickly see where the river got its name

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    No problem
    I have duck hunted in the area from a kayak. While paddling ,I have spooked some big fish 3-4 ft away quite a few times.Couldnt tell what kind of fish they were until one actually arched its back out of the water and that one definitely was a snakehead.The others could have been carp,gar bass.....anything that grows big.

I dont know what the water is like in the Summer,but in winter,you can quickly see where the river got its name
    It's the same in the summer, if not worse.. lol

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The Potomac River Fisheries Commission posted a public poll on if there should be a kill order on snakeheads, or not. The vote so far is 46% for 54% against. Like it, or not, I think Maryland had a new game fish that you can harvest at will. IMO, I would much rather have these than the Tiger Muskie and Fresh Water stripers. Both have highly changed my fishing habits over the last 30 years.

I used to camp and fish at Shepardstown WV in the 80's and 90's and you could catch 8" - 10" sunfish all the time and have them for diner camping. The Tiger Muskie introduction changed that. The DNR said Muskie don't eat hard finned fish, they only like soft fin fish like carp.:rolleyes: That same area is full of bass boats casting huge lures all day now and big sunfish are no where hardly to be found.

When I first got my license I used to fish Liberty and cast the big heavy weighted wood bobbers along the Rt 26 bridges and troll Mr Twisters back by the pillions and catch crappies. Two of us could normally half fill a 5 gallon bucket. As the striper population grew the crappies started disappearing and much harder to catch. The DNR swore introducing fresh water stripers wouldn't change much.

I think you'll find out, if the snakeheads produce derby's that become a money maker for the State and shops all perceptions from the State will be shown differently. Then there will be a lobby for them and the lobby will get what they want. A lobby changed the other two above will little thought of the normal everyday fisherman. Everything is done for those that have and make money. Biology will be on the back end then.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Maryland has had a must kill regulation on Snakeheads for years now. I don't think that the Muskies or Striped Bass have that much affect on the hard finned fish population. If prey populations go down, then predator populations will soon follow suite, It is the same with mammals.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    T
    When I first got my license I used to fish Liberty and cast the big heavy weighted wood bobbers along the Rt 26 bridges and troll Mr Twisters back by the pillions and catch crappies. Two of us could normally half fill a 5 gallon bucket. As the striper population grew the crappies started disappearing and much harder to catch. The DNR swore introducing fresh water stripers wouldn't change much.

I thing the huge white perch population in Liberty and Prettboy has more to do with the decline in crappies.There are no stripers in Prettyboy.They did stock hybrids years ago,but they are all gone now.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I was about to ask a question regarding this. I was under the impression that if you catch one, it is mandatory to kill it.

It’s now legal to release them in the same location caught in but illegal to keep them alive during transit or release into different waters than caught in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom