• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Well quite a CF here.
    My daughter goes to Churchill. We can find no emails , notices or links to any classes. She goes on her portal, no Zoom meeting scheduled. I think the actual MCPS site where students go, gets so many requests, it took her 30 minutes just to finally get to the site.

My son goes to Walter Johnson, and his teachers seem more prepared and sent Zoom links, he made it to 1st period.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Yep, the MyMcps Classroom site is swamped. We had multiple gateway timeout errors because the infrastructure is f***ed. The school nurse at the independent school where I'm contracted has two sons who teach for MCPS and both of them said that teachers needed at least another week to get everything figured out and that even the faculty and staff were having infrastructure issues during training.

PEP Pre-K through 3rd should be in-person, end of story. That would free up massive amounts of bandwidth that are being wasted on feel-good crud for little kids.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    PEP Pre-K through 3rd should be in-person, end of story. That would free up massive amounts of bandwidth that are being wasted on feel-good crud for little kids.

The county should mail them a coloring book

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    Complete and utter Cluster F! Only one of my daughters was able to get into her classes. They sure don't make it straightforward or easy to figure out. I've got 3 kids and spent most of the morning with my wife trying to get things sorted out for all of them. At what point do we demand a refund of our tax money? This is complete and utter bull crap! These teachers need to get back to work so that we can also focus on our work instead of focusing on doing what they are supposed to be doing anyway! Things are completely not sustainable like this. If these teachers think they should be able to make the same money providing online instruction which is basically most of the time just having the kids watch instructional videos they are wrong! The other time is literally spent trying to indoctrinate our kids to their views and leanings. I sat in supervising on one of my son's middle school zoom meetings where the teacher was teaching the kids that G.O.P. stands for Grump Old People and spent the next few minutes bashing Trump. I was effing furious and was going to intervene but then thought about my son and didn't want him to feel uncomfortable or embarrassed. How is this acceptable? :mad54:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I sat in supervising on one of my son's middle school zoom meetings where the teacher was teaching the kids that G.O.P. stands for Grump Old People and spent the next few minutes bashing Trump. I was effing furious and was going to intervene but then thought about my son and didn't want him to feel uncomfortable or embarrassed. How is this acceptable? :mad54:
    If this really happened, you should write a complaint to the school. I am pretty sure teachers are expected to be non-partisan in class.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    So the “educators” were taken by surprise with school starting today? No plans in effect for in class schooling and evidently no plans for online classes either. Don’t these idiots test the system?

Attachments

• B75DDE78-A1BF-40B5-B65D-B24108ADA253.jpg
      B75DDE78-A1BF-40B5-B65D-B24108ADA253.jpg
      91.1 KB · Views: 596
    • 9B9189C3-1BC4-4B4F-B691-9DA17F372602.jpg
      9B9189C3-1BC4-4B4F-B691-9DA17F372602.jpg
      88.3 KB · Views: 609

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    The county should mail them a coloring book

My middle son is in some sort of advanced art class (he has serious art skills) and when we went to the high school to pick up his art supplies they handed us a brown paper bag with a pencil, an eraser and a blank sheet of paper in it. I wish I could say I was BS’ing you but sadly thats the truth.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    There appears to be a systemwide overload on the myMCPS Classroom platform that is causing many difficulties for staff and students. The MCPS technology department is aware. myMCPS (Canvas) Classroom is a nationwide program and this issue is larger than MCPS. I will provide updates for you as soon as I have more information.

At this point students can keep trying to get on and we will hope that Canvas gets their technology straightened out swiftly.

I noted the Trump critique comment above from a teacher..
    Was it US History? That's de rigueur in my kids History classes (APUSH).
    My daughter did have one History teacher with a "Join or Die" Snake tattoo , who appeared not too lefty..

EDIT. Well having lunch with kids and asked about "Trump bashing" by teachers, and in unison both replied , "Oh they all do"

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'd rather buy my own. If I buy it the cost would be 3 dollars. With all the BS and manpower needed for anyone from .gov to do the same thing it would cost 35 dollars.

Your coloring book lacks proper diversity

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    In defense of my son's teacher, once things got up and running, she's definitely put in the time and started with lessons from the get go. That said, the technical issues experienced by the county are inexcusable given the sheer volume of time that they've had to prepare.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    My brother, who probably really is a genius, had seen the online thing going **** up and enrolled his oldest in private school in WVA (bro lives in New Market) and have him stay at our parents’ in Charlestown during the week. Bro is a super smart scientist and has been working on the Chinaman Flu so he’s been working crazy hours as it is. Fortunately our parents are retired and they like having the little guy around, they retired just before he was born so they did all the babysitting and such during the week until he entered pre-school. He started 1st grade.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    My brother, who probably really is a genius, had seen the online thing going **** up and enrolled his oldest in private school in WVA (bro lives in New Market) and have him stay at our parents’ in Charlestown during the week. Bro is a super smart scientist and has been working on the Chinaman Flu so he’s been working crazy hours as it is. Fortunately our parents are retired and they like having the little guy around, they retired just before he was born so they did all the babysitting and such during the week until he entered pre-school. He started 1st grade.

Shoot, should have had your parents enroll them in public school over there and saved a boatload! They'll be back in class in no time in WV.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    My kids are home schooled. No Zoom classes, no surprises. They are already 3 weeks into this years instruction. Takes less than 3 hours a day for everything, including piano and typing for a Kindergartner and 2nd grader. They eat healthy at home, no Covid nonsense, no security issues, no police being called, they don't get in trouble for wearing PJs to class.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    My middle son is in some sort of advanced art class (he has serious art skills) and when we went to the high school to pick up his art supplies they handed us a brown paper bag with a pencil, an eraser and a blank sheet of paper in it. I wish I could say I was BS’ing you but sadly thats the truth.

Not that it matters much, but was that Oakdale or Linganore?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    My kids are home schooled. No Zoom classes, no surprises. They are already 3 weeks into this years instruction. Takes less than 3 hours a day for everything, including piano and typing for a Kindergartner and 2nd grader. They eat healthy at home, no Covid nonsense, no security issues, no police being called, they don't get in trouble for wearing PJs to class.

We homeschooled our youngest for her Sr year of HS and wish we had started earlier and done the same for the older three.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Things were just fine at OLGCHS on day one. My daughter reported a few small technical hiccups in the morning and then smooth sailing the rest of the day. Getting my daughters out of the Montgomery County public school system was one of our best parenting decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom