• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buckhorn

Rifleman
    Apr 25, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Not a firearms issue, but this proposed change to the Montgomery County Charter is aimed at more equitable representation.

The current County Council is comprised of five district representatives and four at-large representatives.

Today 7 of 9 Council members live south and east of North Bethesda. The result? County legislative decisions are made by representatives from a small area called the “down county crescent” that largely includes Silver Spring and Takoma Park.

That means decisions about your public services, transportation, housing, development, and taxes are made by Council members from an area with only 30% of county population!

Increasing the number of Council districts to nine, and abolishing the at large seats, will guarantee smaller districts, more responsive representation, and an avenue for your voice to be heard.

Nine Districts for MoCo is asking MoCo voters to sign a petition (online) to put a proposed Charter amendment on the November ballot.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I’ve seen this alot lately. Any sources material to back it up?

They're legit. There are some caveats though. The founders are definitely urban-centric in their thinking. One of the things they've been trying to push a plus to this is that they feel if MoCo is more evenly represented with 9 districts, that the impetus to push mass transit out beyond Germantown will happen. Hate to tell them this, but most people out beyond Germantown don't want buses anywhere near where we live.

That said, I signed it because I'm onboard with the fact that there's ZERO representation for almost anyone outside of the Bethesda, Silver Spring, Potomac arc, let alone for the Ag Reserve.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I am now terrified by the term EQUITABLE.

It usually means Government theft. :shrug:

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Equitable is a bad word to me too. Upcounty is generally more conservative, though still Democrat in this county. The liberals don't want more conservative voices, hence the 5 "at large" seats of people in down county (or dc, DC, jawando still has his house and his car registered...).

The hope is that forcing 7 of 9 council members to live in the communities they represent will change the mentality of the council. The same morons will either have to move or give up their seat in the next election cycle.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I’ve seen this alot lately. Any sources material to back it up?

What more info do you need than seeing that all but two of council members live within two miles of the DC line and that the county executive lives in there too. Rockville and Germantown have the other two count council members.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dosen't 70% of the population live there ? Wouldn't 9 Districts apportioned by population end up about the same result ?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Dosen't 70% of the population live there ? Wouldn't 9 Districts apportioned by population end up about the same result ?

Not if you draw for compactness. FWIW, I believe they are essentially creating an electoral college in MoCo. Giving weight to less populated regions to give better representation.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Update:

The ballot initiative will be on there this November. Vote "Yes/For" on Question D and "No/Against" on Question C if you want to see more accurate representation for the county.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Seems to me that this will merely provide a couple more representatives who will continue to screw us, and serve as a feeder operation to train up more future legislators.

We don't need more stinkin' politicians.

Just one guy's opinion, of course.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Seems to me that this will merely provide a couple more representatives who will continue to screw us, and serve as a feeder operation to train up more future legislators.

We don't need more stinkin' politicians.

Just one guy's opinion, of course.
    There are 2 options on the ballot. One keeps just 9 council members and gets rid of the At-large members. You have to live in Poolesville or Boyds to represent them.

The other adds 2 more council members and keeps a bunch of At-large positions. Takoma Park can still control Poolesville.

The first measure is substantially better than having 8 council members that live in Silver Spring representing the entire county.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    There are 2 options on the ballot. One keeps just 9 council members and gets rid of the At-large members. You have to live in Poolesville or Boyds to represent them.

The other adds 2 more council members and keeps a bunch of At-large positions. Takoma Park can still control Poolesville.

The first measure is substantially better than having 8 council members that live in Silver Spring representing the entire county.

Good to know.

Getting rid of at-large "representatives" would be a good thing.

I can't see the powers that be permitting it to come to pass. Perhaps they'll weaponise/obfuscate the ballot wording the way they did with the gerrymandering bill back in 2013 (or whenever it was). That was pretty revolting; MD politics as usual.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Good to know.

Getting rid of at-large "representatives" would be a good thing.

I can't see the powers that be permitting it to come to pass. Perhaps they'll weaponise/obfuscate the ballot wording the way they did with the gerrymandering bill back in 2013 (or whenever it was). That was pretty revolting; MD politics as usual.

The wording on the ballot is set. Hence the For/Against from 9 Districts for MoCo in my above post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom