• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GMCometh

Jan 20, 2010
    Fallston
    Hey all. Before I get started, I just wanted to say that this thread is the result of my being physically and emotionally exhausted after a 13 mile hike today.

I've been a prepper of sorts for quite some time (learned most of what I know via survivalistboards). While buying up and storing gear, food, and firearms/ammo is important, I cannot stress how important it is that you take care of yourself and maintain a high level of physical fitness.

The sad fact for a lot of people out there (youtube) is that their plan to bug-out and ruck all of their gear into the mountains to live off the land is unrealistic. My observations over the years have shown me that the majority of the people who want to do this seem to be unhealthy/overweight. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are those out there that could manage, but wouldn't it be easier if you were physically prepared to do so?

At the time I'm writing this, I'm 31 years of age, tall, thin, eat healthy, and am almost in the best shape of my life. I'm a runner and I walk/hike a lot. Let me tell you something...there are days that I go out and run/walk 10+ miles...and it is exhausting! Keep in mind I'm doing this without any type of pack or gear, other than a water bladder. It sometimes takes days to recover from those distances, not to mention the months of consistent training to even build up to that distance. Now, imagine having to walk/run that distance, if not further, every single day during shtf/teotwawki because your vehicle broke down/ran out of gas. Could you do it? Could your loved ones do it?

In addition to my earlier comment about why I'm writing this, I also want to include a message to those who aren't worried about such things because they plan on "bugging in". Take a look at what's going on in the world right now with the riots. Right now, as usual, they're taking place in the larger cities. In the true event of a major shtf scenario, you WILL NOT be able to bug in forever. At some point in time, someone or some group of people will reach and approach your home. Yes, we all have firearms and ammo stored to the ceiling, but do we really expect to shoot our ways out of it? What happens when someone firebombs your house? You will need to flee and a vehicle may not be an option.

Just a thought....

GMCometh

Jan 20, 2010
    Fallston
    For anyone interested in increasing their cardiovascular fitness whether it be through walking or running, I urge you to start now. It is never too early.

There are tons of training plans readily available via google. If someone wants more specific guidance, I'd be more than happy to help/point you in the right direction.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Good posts. Physical fitness is sometimes overlooked during prepping, probably because it’s less appealing than planning and buying cool gear. I’m no fitness expert but I work out to be healthy and fit, and I definitely don’t enjoy doing it. Gotta be fit, though.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    Last year my wife and I decided we were going to hike a 14 mile loop from our place that backs up to dolly sods in WV. She didn't have a pack and mine was only about 25lbs of gear just in case we needed to stay the night on the trail. We got back to our place and within 10 minutes of sitting down on the couch I was done. My legs and hips hurt pretty bad. We hike a few times a year and used to backpack all the time. I'm 46 and I can't do the month long backpacking trips anymore.

I agree with you, many of the folks that plan to bug out haven't tried it. Knowing your limit and your groups ability to work together is key. I took a guy from work out for the weekend a couple years ago. Nothing hard just some miles on the AT. That fool shows up with the largest backpack he could find stuffed with all the tacticool stuff in his closet. Withing the first 45 minutes we knew he made a mistake. He was in shape and a big weight lifter but we didn't put a lot of miles in that weekend.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm a very fit 30 something. Can easily hike 20+ miles in a day.

But my wife and kids count. If I'm hoofing it to the farm in WV, times are dark indeed. We'll stay in our house and work with the neighbors until most are dead.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    in my mind, it is a duty to others to keep yourself physically capable. be an asset not a liability.

everyone can do something. no excuses.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I do like the outdoors, but I have a short attention span, and the kids can't make it past a couple miles, so I rarely go on long hikes anymore, although occasionally still do a few. It takes a long time to dedicate to 10+ mile hikes, and as far as fitness goes it's more of a test of your current fitness than a means to improve it, unless you go a few days out of the week. Almost every weekend I hike, MTB, ski, kayak, or ride on a trail with the family, and none have given me the results or improvements of a simple 45min daily weightlifting program. the only real exceptions are rock climbing and BJJ, at first it feels like you are going to die, but you get rapid gains provided you go at least 2 times a week.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I do like the outdoors, but I have a short attention span, and the kids can't make it past a couple miles, so I rarely go on long hikes anymore, although occasionally still do a few. It takes a long time to dedicate to 10+ mile hikes, and as far as fitness goes it's more of a test of your current fitness than a means to improve it, unless you go a few days out of the week. Almost every weekend I hike, MTB, ski, kayak, or ride on a trail with the family, and none have given me the results or improvements of a simple 45min daily weightlifting program. the only real exceptions are rock climbing and BJJ, at first it feels like you are going to die, but you get rapid gains provided you go at least 2 times a week.

yes, hiking should be seen as a "rest day" activity for all but the most out of shape or the most rigorous hikes.

you can get pretty far with a handful of kettlebells or a barbell and 2x45# plates

heck. body weight is still weight, push up, squat, pull up.

fogman

Weighted hikes have been my go to work out for the last 4 months. I keep a pack loaded with my backpacking gear and add additional weight with bags of deer corn. I try to keep the weight between 30 and 40 lbs. I had to lose the weight for 6 weeks after rotator cuff surgery but as pain allowed I've built back up to 40 lbs. I do 4-5 hikes during the week, typically 5-7 miles. Weekends I shoot for one hike of 10-12 miles with the family. My son is working on his cooking merit badge so he's in charge of meals on the weekend hikes.

Last edited:

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    You can prep all you want, but if you can't walk a mile....
    Good post. I would add too that a very important "prepper" tool is to own is a bicycle that works well.

GMCometh

Jan 20, 2010
    Fallston
    Spot on everyone.

I should have also mentioned that if you are interested in starting any type of walking or running plan, please consider sourcing a new pair of shoes that reflect your foot/arch type.

Charm City Run fitted me for true running shoes back when I started and it was game changing. Truly night and day over the off the shelf Nikes I generally wore.

***I am not affiliated with CCR in any way shape or form. They’re just good peoples....***

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    yup
    Cardio

Attachments

• zombieland-rules-featurednumber1.jpg
      zombieland-rules-featurednumber1.jpg
      35.6 KB · Views: 438

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I'm a runner too. I'll be doing my 28th and 29th marathons in August and October, but I always try to include weightlifting (3x). I'm 60. I'm getting slower and slower, but I won't go down without a fight.

For the younger guys here, don't neglect your rest. Every injury I have suffered has been from over exertion. I think I finally figured it out. :innocent0

:thumbsup: on Charm City Run. If you are starting to run for first time ever or in a while, go get the right shoe for you.

Last edited:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Hey all. Before I get started, I just wanted to say that this thread is the result of my being physically and emotionally exhausted after a 13 mile hike today...

Great thread! You can ditch the car 10 miles or so from where you drop off your wife and kids and hike back to where they are hiding. They would only need a to hike a mile or so to get hidden. :thumbsup:

I'm in my 60's, workout with dumbbells 3x a week and walk 2+ miles over hilly terrain the other days. It's not a tough workout. I use fairly wimpy dumbbells and focus on form - nice and slow. It takes about an hour a day of my time.

The hardest part was emotionally starting with 3 and 5 pound dumbbells. I use to use a 70 lb barbell when I was in my 20's. Starting with 5 lbs in each hand and going slow (up 1-2-3-4, down 1-2-3-4) kept me from hurting myself and quitting. The first few weeks you really just need to develop your routine.

I'm in better shape now than I was 2 years ago. I see no reason why I won't be in better shape next year. The time goes by whether I spend an hour hiking, lifting or just sitting in front of the keyboard typing.

Sirex