• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I'm making an offer to MDS members who support Maryland Shall Issue to let you own a real piece of Apollo 11. No I'm not kidding. I have several of these and will be offering extras for sale on ebay, but I'm keeping one back to help out MSI. Details of the commemorative medallion coin are below, and the write-up I'll be using for ebay is:

This medallion was made in part from metal that flew to the moon on Apollo 11. Parts from the Lunar Excursion Model (EAGLE) and from the Command Module (COLUMBIA) were removed and given to the NASA Manned Flight Awareness Program to create mementos for the ground support teams, and to enhance manned flight safety (“zero defects”) awareness.

This is flown metal. This orbited and landed on the surface of the moon on Apollo 11, along with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, with Mike Collins.

EAGLE: The part removed was a “rock box” clamp used to attach a pulley system to the LEM ascent stage. The pulley system was used to lift lunar rocks from the surface of the moon into the LEM ascent stage, for eventual return to the Lunar Laboratory on Earth. The remainder of the pulley system remains with the descent stage on the moon at TRANQUILITY BASE.

COLUMBIA: The part removed was a stainless steel bolt which helped to hold down the heat shield that protected the Command Module during the fiery reentry into the earth’s atmosphere.

These parts were melted down and mixed with a nickel-silver alloy used to cast the Apollo 11 Manned Flight Awareness medallions.

Obverse: Artist's rendition of astronaut standing on the moon surface with the American Flag. Around the top rim is inscribed: "THE EAGLE HAS LANDED". Around the bottom rim is inscribed: "JULY 20, 1969".

Reverse: Inscribed "This Medallion contains metal from spacecrafts Columbia and Eagle, that took Astronauts Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins on their historic Apollo 11 mission that resulted in the first landing of man on the moon."

Year issued: 1970; Smelting to ingots: Meriden Rolling Mills, Connecticut; Stamping Mint: Barco Mint of New Orleans; Number minted: 200,000; Diameter: 1.25"; Design Artist: Victor Grimes; Medallion has silver tone color.

Note: the Manned Flight Awareness program office was later renamed the Space Flight Awareness office. Dr. Preston T. Farish, Program Director, personally added the two Apollo 11 pieces to the molten nickel-silver alloy used to cast the coins.

EAGLE landing: July 20, 1969 20:17:40 UTC Sea of Tranquility.

I’ve collected several of these coins throughout the years. On the 50th anniversary of man’s first landing on the moon, I decided it’s time to share a portion of this national history heritage with others who will also treasure these mementos.

IMG_2849.jpg
    IMG_2848.jpg

So here's how it works. If you want a chance to own one of these coins, simply make a donation to Maryland Shall Issue at this URL. Five bucks gets you one entry, and multiple units of five bucks would get you multiple entries. $50 = 10 chances to win, and so on; it's that simple.

All you have to do is to donate to MSI in any amount, reply to this thread, and tell me the amount you donated. I'll double check with MSI on the donations and keep a running list of the entries by modifying this first posting. Each $5 entry is a separate number and at the end of the open period I'll pick a random number to select the winner.

The donation window opens now, and will close at midnight on July 24th, the day that the Apollo 11 Command Module splashed down in the Pacific. The pictures above are the exact coin that you will win.

Hopefully this will be of interest to space buffs, history buffs, coin collectors, or just those who support the 2A, like me.

Best wishes!

Raffle ticket numbers:
    1-21: Allen65
    22-34: Bob A
    35-44: Boondock Saint
    45-54: teratos
    55-56: ohen cepel
    57-66: CroftonBilly
    67-76: Engine4
    77-81: Jeff Hulbert (contacted me outside of MDS)
    82-91: win296
    92-101: Drmsparks

Last edited:

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I'll be making donations, but have 1 quick question. Does it have a certificate of authenticity? Thanks, & awesome offer!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Done. In for $65.

Thank you, sir.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I'll be making donations, but have 1 quick question. Does it have a certificate of authenticity? Thanks, & awesome offer!

So here's how it worked at the time. The NASA Manned Flight Awareness Program created the coins for distribution to the relevant companies. Fun fact: most people who work for NASA don't really work for NASA in terms of being federal employees - they're contractors. At the time this consisted of companies such as Rockwell, Grumman Aerospace, Boeing, Douglas, IBM, etc., plus of course some real NASA employees. The Manned Flight Awareness Program sent the coins as-is (no certificate of authenticity) to each of the companies. Some companies then enclosed them in certificates, others in small plastic cases, and others simply handed out the individual coins to each deserving employee. It was up to each of the separate companies to determine who got them and how they were presented. None of the ones I own came with certificates or cases. They either never had them, or they were subsequently lost. Best I can tell as I've collected them over the years is that a lack of a presentation case or certificate seems to be the norm not the exception. Some example of coins that did come in cases are shown below. These tend to be rarer and thus more expensive - when you can find them.

med 3318586_1.jpg
    med case th.jpg
    med cert nasa-apollo-11-manned-flight-awareness-medallion_1_c0594fa7c98166d986219b7a14657620.jpg
    medallion case.jpg

And finally, an example of a certificate (sorry this is a PDF format):
    View attachment apollo_11_mfa_pres1.jpg 1,197×1,443 pixels.pdf

Here's one of the contemporaneous news story about the coins. Check out the second page, center column. In this instance, as you can see, the coins were available to qualifying employees free, but if they wanted a display case there was a separate charge for that. Again, sorry about the PDF format:

View attachment NASA Roundup 19710924.pdf

Finally, these medallions, while unique for Apollo 11, are in fact not unique at all across the manned space program. CollectSpace.com is a website devoted to collecting space memorabilia. Check out this page for their description of a variety of coins, all cast from real flown metal from various missions. As part of that list they show and describe the exact coin I have listed as a donation to help support MSI.

I hope that helps.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    No, on the contrary, I thank all of you who are contributing to MSI - a very worthy cause we all benefit from. Litigation is expensive. Donating this medallion to the cause is the least I can do - plus someone else now gets to enjoy it the way I have done over the years.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Landing is today!

BTW, for those of you closely following the Apollo 11 50th anniversary, I stumbled across this video last night that I haven't seen posted elsewhere on MDS. It shows the complete powered descent of the LEM - nothing new there, but it includes a full video view outside the LEM window, the full audio of not just the CAPCOM channel talking to Aldrin and Armstrong, but also the Flight Controllers in a closed loop looking at the program status information, radar, fuel, computer alarms, altitude, attitude, planned vs. actual trajectory, etc. and discussing it among themselves in real time so that they could advise CAPCOM. Controlled chaos. It also describes the three distinct computer program sequences used during the landing. Very cool I think:

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    BTW I have some additional background information for those of you interested in owning this piece of Apollo 11. Remember I told you the EAGLE portion was a “rock box” clamp used to attach a pulley system to the Lunar Module ascent stage? I thought you might want to see some pictures of one of the two rock boxes this very pulley was used to hoist moon rocks back up to the ascent stage:

ALSRC 1 5234h.jpg
    ALSRC 4 NASM-A19710814000_PS01.jpg
    ALSRC 6 NASM-A19710814000_PS03.jpg
    ALSRC 15 A19710814000cp03.jpg

The astronauts often referred to it simply as a "rock box" but the more technical name for the box is an ALSRC, or Apollo Lunar Sample Return Container. The Smithsonian description for this ALSRC is:

The Apollo Lunar Sample Return Container (ALSRC) was an aluminum box with a triple seal manufactured by the Nuclear Division of Union Carbide. It was used on Apollo lunar landing missions to preserve a lunar-like vacuum around the samples and protect them from the shock environment of the return flight to earth. An aluminum mesh liner helped absorb impacts. Prior to flight, each box was loaded with sample container bags and other sample containment devices. The "rock box" was then closed under vacuum so that it would not contain pressure greater than the lunar ambient pressure. On the moon, while samples were being loaded, the seals were protected by a Teflon film and a cloth cover which were removed just prior to closing the box. Two ALSRC's were used on each mission.

This ALSRC was used in July 1969 during Apollo 11, the first manned lunar landing mission, by astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin. The sample-laden container was opened under controlled conditions in the Lunar Receiving Laboratory at the Houston Manned Space Center. It carried 21.8 kg (47.7 lbs) of lunar material from the Sea of Tranquility.

It was transferred from NASA to the Smithsonian and placed on display in 1970, soon after its historic mission.​

More pictures of this Apollo 11 ALSRC are here.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    One last picture from me. I thought y'all might want to see a photo of one of the lunar astronauts using the pulley system (similar to the one from which the Apollo 11 EAGLE clamp was taken to help make up this medallion). An example of that is below; caveats to follow:

Apollo 12 Pete Conrad AS12-47-6913.jpg

Caveats:
    1) The photo above is of Pete Conrad on Apollo 12, not Apollo 11. The Apollo 11 moonwalk was much shorter, and fewer pictures were taken of the astronauts on the moon. Consequently I don't believe there are any photos of either Armstrong or Aldrin using the pulley to hoist an ALSRC back to the EAGLE.
    2) The photo shown is Conrad using the pulley system to offload an ALSEP (Apollo Lunar Surface Experiments Package) out of the INTREPID Lunar Module, not returning rocks back to INTREPID via an ALSRC.

But the same pulley system was used in both directions, and it's a cool photo, so I thought you'd want to see it in use anyway.

As you can see, I've done my research on Apollo, and on these medallions. There's even more material; this just scratches the surface. But I hope this background information enhances the enjoyment of whoever wins the coin, and that you will treasure it as much as I have over the years. It's a unique bit of space and national history, and a tribute to the men and women who served at NASA and its contractors, not to mention the brave astronauts who made this historic trip to the moon and back.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Thanks Ray! Your pics & research make it all the more interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom