• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Looking to hear experiences on local gun ranges. Where are good places to go for walk ins, and who has great memberships?

I’ve been to a few in the area that literally don’t have the time for new gun owners....

I’ve been to Gilbert’s Indoor Range recently and it was an OK experience but it’s hard to get a time slot. Looking for somewhere that is little more accessible.

I have a membership at Gilbert and for me it’s been worth it, though I did get a discount by signing up on the day of HQL class. I definitely see the frustration of non-members trying to get in when it’s busy. I like the convenience of being able to pop in during my lunch break, and occasionally rent something to try it out. If you live close by I think a membership is worth it, but I certainly prefer outdoor ranges bc I like fresh air and not having my skull rattled by the guy shooting a hand cannon in the next lane.

Mike1690

Jan 28, 2016
    What are the perks to having a membership at Gilbert’s?
    I’ve been a member there for years. There is no charge for range time but you have to buy their ammo. On the upside, it’s actually cheaper than the LGS for most stuff. At least it was pre-covid.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I’ve been a member there for years. There is no charge for range time but you have to buy their ammo. On the upside, it’s actually cheaper than the LGS for most stuff. At least it was pre-covid.

Yeah, it's getting up there though. Right now to shoot 9mm at all (I have an M&P 2.0 9mm) you need a membership bc supply is so tight, and you're limited to one box. When I joined a few mos ago, it was under $13 and when I went a couple days ago it was pushing $22 for ordinarily cheapo 115-grain fmj. Besides that, right now the main perk is you can show up on a Saturday and get priority treatment for a lane, or take advantage of members-only hrs 10-12 on the weekend. You get a discounted price on ammo and don't pay a fee to shoot, so most days I go I pay for ammo and that's it. Would be nice if you could bring your own in light of the situation but as I understand it the buying at the range thing is a compromise Gilbert made with the county in order to do business at all. I think annual membership is ordinarily 170 or thereabouts but I paid 115 to get it on HQL class day. I think they have an even better deal now.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    To clarify, if you're interested in joining, I highly recommend showing up in the middle of a weekday when they're not very busy. And I wouldn't even try showing up to shoot on the weekend without a membership bc it gets crazy. Non-members get on a waiting list and never make it in.

sprp85

Jul 11, 2020
    I have recently tried Heritage in Frederick; I suppose Guntry at Owings Mill will provide similar experience (From the look of it).

But yes, Heritage was a decent experience, other than safety folks at the range were being assholes at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom