• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I'm pretty low on ammo all around. I occasionally go to VA(Sterling) and I also occasionally go through PA on my way to NY.

Where are some good places to stockpile common calibers?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    You can buy ammo in MD. Ammo Jon will hook you up. Or you can get it online - SGAmmo.com is good.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you build your stockpile slowly over time, it is a lot less painful. For about 10 years I would buy 2 boxes for every box I shot... then I moved to 3 for one. I'm fairly ready for the zombie apocalypse at this point.
    It's way cheaper overall buying cases of ammo at a time, though. If that's what you are doing, great, but I'd wait to get to the case level before buying just so your money goes further. I personally keep "reserve stockpiles" of all my ammo types so that I can keep training to some degree if we go through another ammo panic. (I also reload, but that's not going to be feasible for bulk rifle shooting without a Dillon 1050 or similar.)

Anyways, I would strongly suggest simply buying online (SGammo, Target Sports, etc.) or from Ammo Jon (who has very good pricing on some commonly-used stuff!).

Everyone ships ammo to MD; a few assholes like PSA will not ship to MoCo and Annapolis because of unenforceable local laws. Thankfully, Cali-style "ammo BG checks" are not here quite yet.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    You can buy ammo in MD. Ammo Jon will hook you up. Or you can get it online - SGAmmo.com is good.
    Sorry, I was just assuming it would be more expensive and annoying in state. While MD does seem nicer than NY(where I'm from), it still seems to have a long way to go...

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    If you build your stockpile slowly over time, it is a lot less painful. For about 10 years I would buy 2 boxes for every box I shot... then I moved to 3 for one. I'm fairly ready for the zombie apocalypse at this point.

^^^This^^^ ... and while you can!

When I was still a bachelor it was “a case (or at least 1/2 a case) EVERY PAYDAY!”

Standing in Lawyers Mall showed me “the writing on the wall;” there protesting then Gov. Shitfer, err Schaefer’s hypocrisies (after his impotent “Saturday Night Special Ban” later set the stage for the HRB he gleefully told reporters the morning after the MGA passed it: “I always have a loaded revolver on my nightstand ... (what a douche)

Anyway, that bi-weekly commitment is undoubtedly amongst the smarter moves I ever made!

Don’t delay; Buy In Bulk, today! :party29:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    1000 rounds per firearm, in reserve, is a reasonable goal. Except for .22, of course.

Someday lead may be the new gold. And if not, it'll still retain its utility, lots more fun than a stack of krugerrands, just a lot heavier.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    My wife will occasionally ask a reasonable question, like "How much ammo do you really need?" I told her that when I retire, I plan on shooting at least 3 or 4 days every week as long as I'm able... when we move to a fixed income, I will stop buying guns and ammo (I'm not sure that either of us truly believe that)… so the plan is to have enough ammo set aside at the point of retirement that I can comfortably enjoy my hobby for the rest of my days. That at least sounded more reasonable than the zombie thing :)

Sirex