• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I just picked up a floor model bear mauler for a great price tonight from a buddy that works at dicks. I need to order arrows since they didn't have anything good in stock. What should I get that's a good bang for the buck? Looks to target shoot a lot and hunt deer this fall? Super noob question but I don't have a clue. Thanks guys.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    I just picked up a floor model bear mauler for a great price tonight from a buddy that works at dicks. I need to order arrows since they didn't have anything good in stock. What should I get? Looks to target shoot a lot and hunt deer this fall? Super noon question but I don't have a clue. Thanks guys.

First decide if you're going to use carbon, aluminum, hybrid etc and

Read this:http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_selection_guide_chapter_1.htm

It helped me a lot.

I use Carbon Express and Gold Tip, but I'm looking a Deer Crossing Archery arrows. I hear they're dependable and a little cheaper.

Just make sure the spine and length are correct for your set up, flex them before shooting them to look for cracks, be safe and have fun.

If you're going to take it to a bow shop for tuning, they'll measure, cut and install your inserts and tips for you. Most will do that even of you don't buy their arrows.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    I plan on going with Carbon Express for my next set of arrows. I currently use Easton arrows with the Cabela's name on them, and they do pretty well even though they are an inexpensive arrow. Whatever you choose, don't hunt with one arrow and target shoot with another. Practice with what you are going to use for hunting.

As far as broadheads, I use Rage 2 inch 100 grain. If you want a fixed broadhead instead of a mechanical, I would recommend a 4-blade Muzzy. Your target tips need to be the same weight as your broadheads, too. Best selection if you go with 100 grain.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I'm rounding up my points and coupons from dicks. I'm may just buy whatever the cheapest carbon arrows they have and use the coupons so its reasonably priced. Expessially since my buddy said he would cut them for free.

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    I shoot what I call value arrows, Beman ICS Hunter. They don't hold me back, but you can buy better. I had an archery shop advise on best length, fletch, and tip weight for me.(stable and predictable) When I want additional arrows, I take one to a proshop and have them match them. In my limited experience, any change in fletch, length, and tip weight will change where the arrow lands.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If you're a true Noob, stay away from carbon until you're no longer a Noob.

The slightest bump against anything other than the target and the carbon arrows will fracture at the tip.

Just my opinion, but carbon is a lot of hype. Aluminum will do the job very nicely and will last a long, long time.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    If you're a true Noob, stay away from carbon until you're no longer a Noob.

The slightest bump against anything other than the target and the carbon arrows will fracture at the tip.

Just my opinion, but carbon is a lot of hype. Aluminum will do the job very nicely and will last a long, long time.

I heard they bend with target practicing? myth or reality? I just use the carbon arrows..Ive never broke one hitting a target bag/block...its when it hits other stuff that they break/crack..

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I heard they bend with target practicing? myth or reality? I just use the carbon arrows..Ive never broke one hitting a target bag/block...its when it hits other stuff that they break/crack..

It is the other stuff I was referring to.

I sent a crossbow carbon through a target and hit a brick wall on the other side. I'm still finding bits of that bolt here and there.

Made me wonder what would happen if it contacted Bambi bone. Would it shatter and get in the meet?

That thought alone has kept me using aluminum.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

I sent a crossbow carbon through a target and hit a brick wall on the other side. I'm still finding bits of that bolt here and there.

Made me wonder what would happen if it contacted Bambi bone. Would it shatter and get in the meet?

Ive yet to crack any carbon arrows on my bow or crossbow when hitting a live animal. Is it possible to crack them?...I assume so I just havent seen it personally on a live animal.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Carbon arrows can crack and/or come apart. Flex them before shooting them and listen for sounds of breaking and feel the shafts for any signs of splintering. If you see nothing and hear nothing, they should be good to go. At least, that's what I've been told and I do before using mine.

I haven't shot aluminum arrows from my new bow so I can't say anything about them.

The important thing here is to make sure the spine, length and weight are correct for your set-up to prevent a catastrophic failure.

My two cents are: go to a bow shop for tuning and any questions you may have. They won't lead you down the wrong path. I took my 9 year old daughter to our local shop and they found the perfect bow for her, adjusted it, tuned it, measured her for arrows, let her shoot it, let her test all of their releases until she found the one and answered every question she had to put her at ease.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009

Have no fear. Bambi's shoulder is no match for a good carbon arrow.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Have no fear. Bambi's shoulder is no match for a good carbon arrow.

I can prove that one wrong.

Carbons break/shatter... Aluminums bend/break.. wood breaks/shatters..

Go to a pro shop and get fitted... they will fletch, trim. fit you up with a set of arrows... when you get better, experiment, build your own... it only gets better.

FWIW - I still shoot aluminums, but do own some carbons... still fiddling with the carbons.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    I shoot Goldtip XT's out of my Bear Attack. They are great arrows for the price. Make sure you get the proper spine. A little too much is okay. Too little spine puts you closer to being like a dry fire situation. Also get them cut to the proper size depending on draw length and mechanical or fixed broadhead. Lancaster Archery is awesome to deal with. Good luck.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    The manager buddy gave me a discount on some "open box" carbon express arrows. Between that and a coupon I had it wasnt too bad pricing. I definatly want to find a dozen of the same arrows I have at a good price but hopefully that wont be untill closer to the fall. Thanks for the input guys.

Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    I just picked up a floor model bear mauler for a great price tonight from a buddy that works at dicks. I need to order arrows since they didn't have anything good in stock. What should I get that's a good bang for the buck? Looks to target shoot a lot and hunt deer this fall? Super noob question but I don't have a clue. Thanks guys.

What is your draw length and the draw weight of the bow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom