Archery as a hobby...do I wanna get into this? Maybe!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    I used to hunt with a compound bow years and years ago.

My range has extensive archery facilities, and I'm considering getting into it as a hobby. But I want to keep things simple, so I'm considering a longbow or perhaps a hybrid recurve.

You longbow/recurve freaks--what do you recommend for a decent bow that I can grow into as my skills improve? I don't necessarily want a "starter" bow, but I also don't need a custom $1000 rig either.

What equipment will I need? I think it's a bow, arrows, arm guard, and belt quiver to get started.

If it matters--I'm 6'4" and can easily draw 50lbs.

Thanks for the advice

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I did once when I first had moved into my current house where the property was not large enough to shoot anything else. I got bord by the second week and just drive my ass to the range...lol

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    I've decided to get a new bow since my daughter has expressed interest in archery. I shot 25 yrs ago and loved it then and my daughter really loves it.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I think the next Traditional Classic at Baltimore Bowmen is in May? Im not sure. I picked up my first really nice longbow there. I would buy something to hold you off till then and buy a keeper there and keep the other one around incase you want to bring a buddy. Its like a flea market for traditional archery and they even have a range where most of the vendors will allow you to try out the bow you're interested in. HUGE selection of trad bows/arrows and accessories and probably the biggest wealth of archery knowledge you will find in one place.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Check out Sportsmans Guide catalog - they sometimes have reasonable longbows and recurves, I think they may have some from PSE at reasonable prices-around $200 or so-50lb is a good place to start, cedar arrows with feathers is the way to go, shot with finger tab or gloves. Good luck

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Lancaster Archery in PA is a great place to start. Really knowlegeable staff plus indoor shooting facilities. Its a little drive but well worth it. A lot of Samick bows in the $200 range.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    I had a chance to shoot some longbow and some recurve. The longbows had significantly more hand shock than the recurves. Some of this gear is big bucks!

I'm really not interested in all the bells and whistles like sights and counterbalances. Since I'll be doing this as a hobby, I want to develop basic skills associated with instinctive shooting. The challenge of that is what appeals to me.

Right now the PSE Blackhawk recurve is the front runner. It's a one-piece, 60" in length with a 50-lb draw, and is highly regarded as a well-made and reliable recurve for someone getting into the sport. I could go with a longer bow, but I don't think it's really necessary. I'll get my draw length measured on it and then decide on arrows...

Thanks for all the help!

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    There were a few recurves on CL under 200. I shoot both LB and R never experienced hand shock. I have a Martin Victory 66" 50#@ 28" draw new that I would consider selling.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    The longbow that I shot was a traditional longbow--not a hybrid or American flatbow. It had D-shaped limbs (cross-section), was 72" long, and fairly heavy. Fun to launch big fat arrows with. But I'll probably go with something a bit more portable. I don't think I'll do a three-piece tho.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I'm not sure if you are looking to do bow hunting or target archery but I will share this about bow hunting. I hunt with a gun to fill the freezer. I hunt with a bow to give myself a challenging hunt. It requires one to take only perfect shots or the game will only be wounded and you end up tracking it for a while. I now only hunt from the ground using natural blinds. It is a very humbling experience and the activity gives great knowledge of how to pattern deer. I enjoy just shooting the bow at the range also.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I too used to do archery, then drifted away for many years. I got the itch and bought a Bear Grizzly 50#. About $339 everywhere. I like it so far.

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    Im liking the ILFs. I wouldnt buy a bow without shooting it first they are finky things they either fit you or they dont. In my opion the recurve is easier to shoot than the longbow. Me i am a longbow guy and have recurves too. My go to bow is a Morrision ILF before that a 21st Century before that a homemade bow. I have a Horn recurve too that i shoot really well and have hunted with but for some reason i always grab the longbow. Do as these guys say hit the baltimore bowens shoot an have at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom