• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    My understanding is that anything that can be turned into a pistol-type firearm should be treated with the same wait and paperwork as a pistol. So .223 and 9mm lowers should be 7 day waits because .223 and 9mm pistols are a thing (and as always: it's entirely up to your FFL for this matter). 308 pistols though...I mean. I think I just wet myself. :-D

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    My understanding is that anything that can be turned into a pistol-type firearm should be treated with the same wait and paperwork as a pistol. So .223 and 9mm lowers should be 7 day waits because .223 and 9mm pistols are a thing (and as always: it's entirely up to your FFL for this matter). 308 pistols though...I mean. I think I just wet myself. :-D

Negative, 9mm and .308 dedicated lowers are cash and carry.
    5.56 lowers SHOULD be cash and carry also but MSP has asked FFLs to treat them as regulated.

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Negative, 9mm and .308 dedicated lowers are cash and carry.
    5.56 lowers SHOULD be cash and carry also but MSP has asked FFLs to treat them as regulated.

I agree. If I can buy a whole rifle and walk out the door with it, pop off the upper and put on a pistol upper*...wait, do I have to wait 7 days before I do that? Nope. So why do I wait for a lower?

Where is the official MSP doctrine on lower sales? I haven't ever seen what the MSP issued in order to come up with this rule, although I bet it was a shifty document issued in 2013 during the SB281 craze.

* Changing a rifle to a pistol is explicitly BATFE illegal unless the lower was in a pistol configuration before it was a rifle. So the above example is federally illegal but feasible in practice.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I agree. If I can buy a whole rifle and walk out the door with it, pop off the upper and put on a pistol upper*...wait, do I have to wait 7 days before I do that? Nope. So why do I wait for a lower?

Where is the official MSP doctrine on lower sales? I haven't ever seen what the MSP issued in order to come up with this rule, although I bet it was a shifty document issued in 2013 during the SB281 craze.

* Changing a rifle to a pistol is explicitly BATFE illegal unless the lower was in a pistol configuration before it was a rifle. So the above example is federally illegal but feasible in practice.

IIRC this was disseminated orally by MSP at some training events post FSA 2013 in regards to compliance with the new laws.

There may have been a dealer bulletin circulated also but I'm not sure.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I know the way to Engage. Sounds like time for phone calls. My first choice is Glock type. I already have those mags.

Keep in mind that if you go the Glock route you will need to have a bolt that is compatible or mill a standard 9mm bolt.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    308 pistols though...I mean. I think I just wet myself. :-D

A short-barrel .308 makes super big fireballs - like a legal flashbang - but lots of velocity is lost as well. 300 Blackout is the winner if you want good ballistics in a short barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom