• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K1au5

Mar 23, 2013
    I would like to get instruction on instinctive shooting for a recurve bow. I have been shooting for a couple of weeks and would like to have someone with experience help me with my form so I don't develop bad habits. Is anyone aware of any instructors in the Germantown area?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm in College Park if that's close enough. I've been doing archery since I was five, have the USAA/NFAA Level 1 Instructor cert, and have taught archery before for the BSA and in the UMD Archers club.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    There are two types of shooting. Gap and Instinctive and traditional shooters use each.

Gap is using the arrow point and leveling it up and down like and iron sight to calculate for the drop.

Instinctive is just just like throwing a base ball, its hard to teach. We can comment on your form and point out mistakes, but hard to actually teach, you have to learn it yourself. You have to develop mind body coordination where your brain just says arms here and it goes where you want. you really can't teach someone when to release the baseball on the follow through to hit the catchers mit, they have to learn it.

My daughter gets frustrated with me sometimes as I can shoot better instinctive than she can with a compound and sights. Its just more experience and practice.

I used to do this and it makes practice more interesting. Make arrows with blunts, get a soccer ball and go to a field and kick it around. Shoot at the ball from varying distances and you learning on the go range adjustment will kick in faster. If you don't make blunts you'll go through a lot of soccer balls :)

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    There are two types of shooting. Gap and Instinctive and traditional shooters use each.

Gap is using the arrow point and leveling it up and down like and iron sight to calculate for the drop.

Instinctive is just just like throwing a base ball, its hard to teach. We can comment on your form and point out mistakes, but hard to actually teach, you have to learn it yourself. You have to develop mind body coordination where your brain just says arms here and it goes where you want. you really can't teach someone when to release the baseball on the follow through to hit the catchers mit, they have to learn it.

My daughter gets frustrated with me sometimes as I can shoot better instinctive than she can with a compound and sights. Its just more experience and practice.

I used to do this and it makes practice more interesting. Make arrows with blunts, get a soccer ball and go to a field and kick it around. Shoot at the ball from varying distances and you learning on the go range adjustment will kick in faster. If you don't make blunts you'll go through a lot of soccer balls :)

I really like the soccer ball idea. I have an old one laying around and I definitely need practice with the recurve.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The best part about the soccer ball is the distance always varys, which improves your instinctive range judgement skills. Use a tennis ball once you are better.

Aim small, miss small. :)

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    Go to the tradgang forum they have helpfull threads on form. If you want to shoot at a high level it starts with form. Brake ur pratices down and work one thing at a time draw anchor as one, release as the second without aiming only the release, these need to be second natural before you can consistently shoot well

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    tradgang also has alot of internet gurus who will give out the wrong advise... mostly posers there now, most of the originals have been chased away.

Form is key, as is repitition... soccer ball is a great idea, we used to keep an old nerf ball at camp for exactly that in between hunts... used an old milk jug filled with foam for the 11 yr old when he was first starting out.

Find and join a club, look into TBOM (trad bowhunters of MD). My backyard range is always open (when I'm not out of town working or attending the 11 yr old's hockey games)

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13

I'm going to try the soccer ball idea, will keep my field points and just use a nerd ball, thanks :thumbsup:

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    I've noticed that about tradgang. I took a little time off (4-5yrs) from the site and hunting heavy. Just the other day i visited the site and it was a complete type of new of membership. Even in the past alot of those guys talk each other up and when you meet them they arent the hunters you think. You realky have to watch getting a hunt thru some of the members there. The hog Haven Place was a joke thecway it was ran. But i think it is good adice if you sort thru it for a newbe. Good luck maybe over ethe summer we can meet up if you still need help i no abit about shooting form and so on. TBM is a good lacol club too

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom