• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Some states require an external safety and by not including one you leave out an entire market segment. The SR9c was the same way. You couldn't possibly get that thing to turn on and off without a good thumb flick but people still griped about it anyway.

What states require an external safety? Even Glock makes a "NY/Mass. Trigger" for their state requirements, but I've never heard of an external safety requirement. That would mean all revolvers would be banned as well.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    It looks to be roughly the same size as a Walther PPS and if that's the case I'll pass. The problem I have with the Walther and probably this M&P Shield too is it's not small enough to justify the loss in mag capacity.

Neither is small enough to toss in a pocket unless you have some large pockets which means it's a belt holster carry and I already have a Glock 26. The only thing that bothered me about it was how thick it was so I thought a Walther PPS would be a win but as it turns out, while it is thinner it really isn't all that much more comfortable to wear around the house, provided both are in a good holster anyway. So I find myself favoring the Glock because all things being equal I'd rather the 12 rounds I can get in the Glock with the extended mags over the 7 or 8 I get in the Walther.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    It looks to be roughly the same size as a Walther PPS and if that's the case I'll pass. The problem I have with the Walther and probably this M&P Shield too is it's not small enough to justify the loss in mag capacity.

Neither is small enough to toss in a pocket unless you have some large pockets which means it's a belt holster carry and I already have a Glock 26. The only thing that bothered me about it was how thick it was so I thought a Walther PPS would be a win but as it turns out, while it is thinner it really isn't all that much more comfortable to wear around the house, provided both are in a good holster anyway. So I find myself favoring the Glock because all things being equal I'd rather the 12 rounds I can get in the Glock with the extended mags over the 7 or 8 I get in the Walther.

DING DING DING

I'd like to have one if the price is right simply because I like the MP line. About the only place I'd ever carry it is if I was in the yard doing something as it's rather small...and no I dont think I'd ever NEED a gun while in my yard.

I've carried a MP40C a lot and have debated about upgrading to a 19/23 to pick up longer sight radius as well as capacity.

Anyone considering this as a primary carry gun REALLY needs to put some thought into carrying atleast one extra magazine....and practice drawing from whatever holster you think you'll use. IWB with such a small grip to grap is going to be a challenge I believe.

Not saying I wouldnt own one...just not as a primary carry option.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    DING DING DING

I'd like to have one if the price is right simply because I like the MP line. About the only place I'd ever carry it is if I was in the yard doing something as it's rather small...and no I dont think I'd ever NEED a gun while in my yard.

I've carried a MP40C a lot and have debated about upgrading to a 19/23 to pick up longer sight radius as well as capacity.

Anyone considering this as a primary carry gun REALLY needs to put some thought into carrying atleast one extra magazine....and practice drawing from whatever holster you think you'll use. IWB with such a small grip to grap is going to be a challenge I believe.

Not saying I wouldnt own one...just not as a primary carry option.

An extra magazine is essential for carrying any semiauto. Magazines malfunction too. I've got to get this, the nano and the cm9 next to each other. The trigger would be the thing that sells me this gun over the kahr....if it's THAT much smaller than the m&p9c for hot summer carry.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    An extra magazine is essential for carrying any semiauto. Magazines malfunction too. I've got to get this, the nano and the cm9 next to each other. The trigger would be the thing that sells me this gun over the kahr....if it's THAT much smaller than the m&p9c for hot summer carry.

Agreed however I'm doubtful that many do even with the larger handguns.

I've caught myself leaving the extra mag in the safe a few times as well...it's a false confidence to say the least but with a small capacity gun it becomes a real risk.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ....if it's THAT much smaller than the m&p9c for hot summer carry.

Looking at the numbers, I'm not so sure that it's so much smaller than the M&Pc to really justify it.

It appears almost the same size as the Ruger LC9, and a bit bigger than the Kel Tec Pf-9.

It looks just a bit big for pocket carry, for me anyway.

(By the way, I suspect one big reason for the safety is that Bubba and Plaxico are going to cram in in their pockets along with their keys and change, and no pocket holster.)

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    The trigger on this is supposed to be more Glock like with a more positive reset. The break is supposed to be right around 6.5 pounds. At 450 MSRP it sounds like a winner to me.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Not.everyone is the same size, or feels the same comfort with different sized guns. I suspect women will really go for this one. It is sized just right for them. I would feel comfortable with it, as a guy.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    One review I read said they tried everything they could to cause the safety to accidentally engage, but they couldn't do it.

I imagine it was just put there to keep lawyers happy or to give a safety to those who want it. Hope they offer a way to make it more like the m&p 9c safety, though.

I agree, the safety is rather stiff and small. It didn't take super human strength to move it. You have to try the gun before bashing it.

I was told that the "Shield" is different than the rest of the M&P line and they are requiring the gun to be submitted, which is being done. I guess the fact the gun doesn't use the same mag as the rest of the M&P line and some parts are unique makes it "new".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom