• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I see. I don't see the point but whatever makes you comfortable, go with it.

Most ranges charge you for range time If they don't prohibit loaded mags, going in with them loaded gives you more time to shoot.

just my .02

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

Most ranges charge you for range time If they don't prohibit loaded mags, going in with them loaded gives you more time to shoot.

just my .02

Not a bad two cents ;-)

It is just a comfort factor. I'm a member of my range, so I don't pay for range time. The time to load mags is not an issue for me. Shooting is a relaxing thing for me, so taking a few minutes to load mags doesn't throw that off.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    ah gotcha. I shoot at the NRA, and they do charge for range time, and while not Nazis about time, if there are other folks waiting to shoot, they adhere to the clock pretty closely.

But your explanation makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    ah gotcha. I shoot at the NRA, and they do charge for range time, and while not Nazis about time, if there are other folks waiting to shoot, they adhere to the clock pretty closely.

But your explanation makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying

No problem.

I typically shoot during off times when the range is not crowded, so I'm not making others wait or denying the range the ability to rent a lane.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Err on the side of caution? Little things like traveling to the range with chamber flags in my guns, unloaded magazines, and ammo in a separate compartment of my bag or in a totally separate bag. None of these things are required by law, but if I get pulled over and an officer sees my range bag, I have fewer interpretations or misconceptions of the law to deal with.

That's what I plan to do in the future, not the chamber flags, but everything else.

I'm golden right now as far as transporting a rifle is concerned because the ammo and gun are in separate cases by default, a rifle simply won't fit in my range bag...

Henceforth when transporting handguns I'm going to keep the cased pistols and empty mags, etc. in my range bag, and I'm going to start putting the ammo in one those OD green Army type metal cans that snap tightly shut.

Like you said, it isn't necessarily required by law, but it can't hurt anything either.

One thing I should add... Unless an officer had probable cause to search my vehicle or asks me directly if I have any firearms in the vehicle, he is never going to see my range bag or any of my shooting stuff for that matter, because I keep it all locked in the trunk until I get to the range.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    That's what I plan to do in the future, not the chamber flags, but everything else.

I'm golden right now as far as transporting a rifle is concerned because the ammo and gun are in separate cases by default, a rifle simply won't fit in my range bag...

Henceforth when transporting handguns I'm going to keep the cased pistols and empty mags, etc. in my range bag, and I'm going to start putting the ammo in one those OD green Army type metal cans that snap tightly shut.

Like you said, it isn't necessarily required by law, but it can't hurt anything either.

One thing I should add... Unless an officer had probable cause to search my vehicle or asks me directly if I have any firearms in the vehicle, he is never going to see my range bag or any of my shooting stuff for that matter, because I keep it all locked in the trunk until I get to the range.

Understood about the trunk. I have an SUV. I need to start keeping a blanket or tarp in the back so I can keep my range stuff out of "plain sight." Another reason I put in the chamber flags is it makes it easier for me to check in at the range. When I pull out a gun with a chamber flag, it is super easy for the range staff to see I'm unloaded.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Earlier in the thread, my example was Baltimore to OC, through Delaware. In that case wouldn't federal law come into play?

Federal Law would only come into play in Delaware. Since both your starting point and your ending point is in MD. If your starting part was in MD and ended in another state. Then you have to meet both MD and the other states requirements plus federal law it is that simple. Now with all that said there are a few area's that ignore federal law and can cost you allot of money fighting their illegal standards (New Jersey, New York City).

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I just want to point out that a simple question on how to properly transport a handgun to the range and back in this messed up state has generated 86 replies.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Has anyone ever figured out what constitutes a bona fide collector?
    Nope. Legal (dictionary) definition of bona fide and have a good lawyer on retainer.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017

just my .02

Isn't rules based on loaded mags because they use a magnet to check for steel ammo?

Regulus91

Aug 3, 2017
    Myersville, MD
    On a related note, if I'm transporting my firearms and ammo to a family member's private property, and I need to take MD77 between Smithsburg and Thurmont to get there, do I need to comply with FOPA transport laws since MD77 is sandwiched between a state park (Cunningham Falls State Park) and a Federal park (Catoctin Mountain National Park)? I ask because I don't want to risk being brought up on a technicality because the line between the two parks might be in the middle of the road, or something along those lines.

Come to think of it, do any special laws or regulations apply for transiting through state or Federal parks with a firearm transported in one's vehicle? Let's say you're transporting it from point A outside the park to point B outside the park without stopping in the confines of the park for any reason.

I also had a similar question about military bases, but everything I found through Googling that has indicated that 99% of the time it's a bad, no, it's a TERRIBLE idea to even think about it, so that nixes being able to go shooting on my family's property after dropping wifey off at her job on Ft. Detrick, unless I want to make the circuitous trip from Frederick back home to Myersville to get my guns and then back up to Thurmont to go shooting. That's a lot of extra fuel used and wear n' tear on my vehicle that simply I can't afford on top of my daily commute to Gaithersburg for work.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

If he asks you if you have firearms in the car, your response should be "I have nothing illegal in the car officer" or better yet "am I free to go officer?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    My understanding is that if you acknowledge the presence of firearms in a vehicle to an officer in MD, that constitutes probable cause for a search. Is that correct? If so, can anybody quote the regulation?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I'm not anal, but I keep a copy of all AG opinions relating to firearms in a folder in my Jeep. It may convince a cop they're wrong.

Ignorant gin store counter folks,

Not so much
    I don't know why "Gin" store counter guys would think they are experts anyway.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would assume in MD the definition of a bona fide collector rwith regard to firearms is anyone that has one of these approved:

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document Downloads/Collector_Application_Affidavit.pdf

Designated is not necessarily bona fide.

If you are a DC, and only have one pistol, are you really a collector?

DC only allows you to avoid the one per month rule.

Historically, when they put in the one regulated firearm per month rule, there are complaints that what would happen if you were a collector, and a collection became available, you could not purchase more than one. So the DC came about, so that you could purchase more than one. But MD, in its typical wisdom (which is SOMETIMES good for us), they did not limit it to purchasing part or all of a collection.

That is ALL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom