Good Samaritan Shoots Man Attacking Cop – Is It Legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Most states deadly force laws include the defense of a third party.

If the shooter can articulate that in court, he'll most likely win.

Especially if he was defending a LEO.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    The statutes quoted in the article don't distinguish between protecting an LEO vs anyone else. They concluded it would absolutely be justified in this case.

This seems open and shut, but it raises an interesting question of where would the line be drawn between "helping" and "interfering".

I remember thinking watching the video of the gunfight between the law and the Boston bombers. The person taking the video had a much better shooting angle than the police, it was obvious who the good guys bad guys were. I wondered what the situation would have been if the person had a rifle along with their camera and took the shot.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    interesting read. something to consider in the big picture of how law enforcement is being the target of violent crime. Good Samaritan Shoots Man Attacking Cop – Is It Legal?

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/02/good-samaritan-shoots-man-attacking-cop-is-it-legal/#ixzz4RmNTMq1G

i would think that coming to the aid of ANYONE under violent attack would be legal.

I would think that the cop being attacked wouldn't care if the 'Good Samaritan' who was saving his life was doing it illegally. In this case, FL law and the attorney in USLawShield's video also supports the Samaritan action.

Now, if this happened in the PRofMD, a CCW-permit holding Samaritan would be dragged through the court system, stripped of his CCW permit, his firearms, and his 2A rights, and made penniless defending himself before State charges are dropped with no apology or recompense. And WHY ? To discourage others from 'taking the law into their own hands' because the 'law' isn't on the side of 'We The People' here.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My point was a jury might be more inclined to acquit if a LEO is involved. The statute doesn't address a difference.

A jury might see it differently.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Coming to the aid of an officer is a very common exception and has been for years in many states.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    It may or not be legal, but it is right, right and wrong have very little to do with right and wrong.

NOBODY

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom