Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 17th, 2017, 08:50 PM #561
Huckleberry Dillinger

Huckleberry Dillinger

Congrats to all who have filled a tag.

The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.
j_h_smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 10:51 PM #562

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Suggestions on what to do if I bust a deer where I was going to put a stand up? Put my stand up anyway figuring it might come back later in the day? Or find somewhere else? Yesterday nothing came through in the evening, but I did bump a big doe about 30yds from where I ended up setting up my stand at 3pm. Earliest I could get there after work.
Depends on if you’re in an area where deer frequently encounter humans. They’ll flee, the come back once they feel comfortable again. If you’re out where deer rarely encounter humans, then you probably won’t see that particular deer again for a while. Busting a doe won’t hurt, busting a big buck will make you sad, because he won’t be back for a long time. On the other hand, if that’s somewhere that one deer was comfortable being, other deer will probably filter in as well. You won’t empty your herd, but you might spook that one particular one. Hang your stand and shoot the next one.
AlBeight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 03:59 AM #563
Outrider...out

Outrider...out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBeight View Post
Depends on if you’re in an area where deer frequently encounter humans. They’ll flee, the come back once they feel comfortable again. If you’re out where deer rarely encounter humans, then you probably won’t see that particular deer again for a while. Busting a doe won’t hurt, busting a big buck will make you sad, because he won’t be back for a long time. On the other hand, if that’s somewhere that one deer was comfortable being, other deer will probably filter in as well. You won’t empty your herd, but you might spook that one particular one. Hang your stand and shoot the next one.
^^^Good advise.
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 10:53 AM #564

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Suggestions on what to do if I bust a deer where I was going to put a stand up? Put my stand up anyway figuring it might come back later in the day? Or find somewhere else? Yesterday nothing came through in the evening, but I did bump a big doe about 30yds from where I ended up setting up my stand at 3pm. Earliest I could get there after work.
I was Spring turkey hunting in Western Md a few years ago.Around 11am a guy walks through the area where I was expecting turkeys to come from.I thought all was lost but not enough time to get to another area I stayed put.About 15 mins later a turkey(hen) came right through the same spot where the other guy walked through.

If it can happen with turkeys,it can happen with deer
remrug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 10:53 PM #565

Okay, thanks! I suspect just a windy day with the movement happening mid day when I was busy working. Pretty sure it is a good travel corridor. Right by a creek. Several parallel deer trails through the woods and crossing the pipeline all within about 60yds of each other. I shot a spike there start of his season. Saw a huge doe just out of crossbow range a few weeks ago. My neighbor saw another (same?) doe that general area, out of his range last weekend. I saw that one now a couple of days ago. He shot a spike there last year during the rut and saw a couple of other deer that didn’t present a shot that same day.

I probably just need to plant my butt there 45 minutes before first light and at some point something is going to walk by (hopefully in range).
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 08:48 AM #566

Deer are funny, last yr my boy and I saw all kind of deer travelling in the late afternoon/evening but out of bow range. This yr same place same time with 2 different stands overlooking the corridor the deer are few and far between. One stand has been in the area for yrs I just turned it to face the woods, the other is new and about 100 yds upstream overlooking a corn pile The only other difference is this yr beans are in the field whereas last yr there was corn up.
newmuzzleloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 08:58 AM #567
Outrider...out

Outrider...out

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmuzzleloader View Post
Deer are funny, last yr my boy and I saw all kind of deer travelling in the late afternoon/evening but out of bow range. This yr same place same time with 2 different stands overlooking the corridor the deer are few and far between. One stand has been in the area for yrs I just turned it to face the woods, the other is new and about 100 yds upstream overlooking a corn pile The only other difference is this yr beans are in the field whereas last yr there was corn up.
I saw my first deer yesterday at 11am. Didn't see another one until after 3. Saw 4 bucks at that time. Seems like south winds always screw up deer movement where I hunt. Anyone else notice?
Old November 19th, 2017, 09:05 AM #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
I saw my first deer yesterday at 11am. Didn't see another one until after 3. Saw 4 bucks at that time. Seems like south winds always screw up deer movement where I hunt. Anyone else notice?
I saw the same, only one massive buck at 9am and no other deer movement at all. Usually I see plenty of them far away on other properties. Central MoCo.
akalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 09:11 AM #569
Outrider...out

Outrider...out

Quote:
Originally Posted by akalma View Post
I saw the same, only one massive buck at 9am and no other deer movement at all. Usually I see plenty of them far away on other properties. Central MoCo.
Yeah, I'm in the Poolesville/ Dickerson area.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old November 19th, 2017, 10:27 AM #570

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
Yeah, I'm in the Poolesville/ Dickerson area.
Yeah, same south wind yesterday! I was closer to Laytonsville.
akalma is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports