Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 15th, 2017, 08:43 PM #521

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmuzzleloader View Post
Instead of bow hunting tonight my son wanted to go after squirrels. No sooner do we get in the stand and he loads his .22 when here comes a 6pt meandering on through the clearing in front of us and we have no bow. The evening wasn't a total loss though, that buck was barely out of sight when he shot his 1st squirrel.
And my fone is screwed up. I took a pic of him holding 5 squirrels and sent to his Mom but I cant take it from the message app and post it here.
I never knew they were so hard to skin. They're soaking in brine and I'll be looking up recipies.
Squirrels are very hard to skin, and to clean. Their fur doesn’t come off in one piece like a rabbit’s. It comes off in small chunks, and usually leaves a thousand hairs embedded seemingly permanently in the meat. Love hunting squirrels, loved eating squirrels, despised the rest. They’re a tough little animal, often they’ll take a shotgun blast of #6 load from 20 yds, and when you skin it only 1 or 2 pellets actually made it thru the kevlar-like hide, then 10-15 pellets drop out onto the table in pristine condition. Great eating IMHO if you make it thru to that point, at least without swearing to never do it again....
AlBeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:24 PM #522

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBeight View Post
Squirrels are very hard to skin, and to clean. Their fur doesn’t come off in one piece like a rabbit’s. It comes off in small chunks, and usually leaves a thousand hairs embedded seemingly permanently in the meat. Love hunting squirrels, loved eating squirrels, despised the rest. They’re a tough little animal, often they’ll take a shotgun blast of #6 load from 20 yds, and when you skin it only 1 or 2 pellets actually made it thru the kevlar-like hide, then 10-15 pellets drop out onto the table in pristine condition. Great eating IMHO if you make it thru to that point, at least without swearing to never do it again....
I went squirrel hunting a bunch last year and literally one time I got 2 squirrels, nothing the rest. Of course saw TONS when deer hunting. I haven’t bothered this year. Maybe next year I’ll try again. Yeah, skinning was a nightmare. One I ended up with the rear legs as I tore that one apart. Other one I sort of managed most of it. Cooked up with a little EVOO rosemary and a dash of salt. It was good. The one I tore apart I had hit with two #5 turkey loads from about 25 yds (I was out turkey hunting, knocked some from a roost, gave up after a few more hours, that was winter turkey hunting).

Nearest I could tell about 5 pellets made it through and through. About 5-6 were embedded just inside the meat. Maybe 5-8 were barely under the skin. From two shots (first one hit it, but it was crawling off).
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:42 AM #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBeight View Post
Check out youtube, there are plenty of videos of how to skin a squirrel quick. Basically make a slit below the tail then cut to in front of the back legs. Step on tail and pull the back legs. It should just peel the whole front half off. It takes a little practice. The first few times I tried it I ripped the squirrel in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjjpW-To3Ms
67temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:43 AM #524

I have never skinned squirrel but I saw a guy on the an episode of MeatEater skin one in a few seconds, he was a huge small game hunter. I don't remember the details but something like cut behind the tail and step on the tail and pull the legs. Something like the link below. Maybe I am missing something as I said I have never done it myself.

https://www.wikihow.com/Skin-a-Squirrel
FFL 03
NRA
hi3cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:46 AM #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
Just a tip, brine will toughen them. Soak in butter milk. The acidity will help tenderize.
Saw this too late... If they're too tough after cooking the chickens will eat them, not much gets wasted with them. I poured it off this morning and put more fresh water in. I think I'm going to slow cook them anyway, the oldest( from the size I think it's the oldest) I'll put in a little pressure cooker. I'm thinking some will be burrito meat some stew or pot pie and I saw a you tube of squirrel n gravy over rice that looked good.

He was using a Ruger American Rimfire with a Weaver 4x28 scope shooting regular bulk federal 36 gr hp. so no pellets to deal with. 3 of them were headshots @ 30 yds so little meat was ruined.
newmuzzleloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:51 AM #526

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
Check out youtube, there are plenty of videos of how to skin a squirrel quick. Basically make a slit below the tail then cut to in front of the back legs. Step on tail and pull the back legs. It should just peel the whole front half off. It takes a little practice. The first few times I tried it I ripped the squirrel in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjjpW-To3Ms
I watched some videos of that being done, it does look to be fast n easy. I'll try that way next time.
Old November 16th, 2017, 08:13 AM #527

I do the same as the video except I dunk in water so the hair isn't everywhere and I cut the feet off before I skin.
Lanceman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 08:13 AM #528

Once you get the hang of it,you will never skin one another way.
remrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 08:21 AM #529
Outrider...out

Outrider...out

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmuzzleloader View Post
Saw this too late... If they're too tough after cooking the chickens will eat them, not much gets wasted with them. I poured it off this morning and put more fresh water in. I think I'm going to slow cook them anyway, the oldest( from the size I think it's the oldest) I'll put in a little pressure cooker. I'm thinking some will be burrito meat some stew or pot pie and I saw a you tube of squirrel n gravy over rice that looked good.

He was using a Ruger American Rimfire with a Weaver 4x28 scope shooting regular bulk federal 36 gr hp. so no pellets to deal with. 3 of them were headshots @ 30 yds so little meat was ruined.
Yeah if you're slow cooking, it should be fine. The buttermilk thing is more for pan frying. Be sure to run the meat under cool water and rub the flesh of excess brine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 08:55 AM #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
Yeah if you're slow cooking, it should be fine. The buttermilk thing is more for pan frying. Be sure to run the meat under cool water and rub the flesh of excess brine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Will do, Thanks. I'll try the buttermilk soak next time and fry some. I've never had squirrel before I don't want to screw it up and nobody want to try it again.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports