Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 15th, 2017, 06:22 PM #1

Possible Sunday deer hunting in Howard County

Just received an e-mail from Gail Bates' office regarding state laws being proposed by our Howard County constituents coming up this General Assembly session. There is going to be a meeting regarding them on November 29th. One proposal includes deer hunting on Sunday. Somewhat limited, and the bow hunting section at the very end can use some better drafting, but this is something you guys in Howard County should review and testify about on the 29th if you want Sunday hunting in Howard County. After dinner I am going to edit the last paragraph regarding the safety zone and send it back to Senator Bates' office in an attempt to make that a lot less confusing.

https://www.howardcountymd.gov/LinkC...%3d&portalid=0

Without a written agreement between you and I, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 06:40 PM #2
nope nope nope nope

nope nope nope nope

In Howard, it should be 50 yds like Montgomery County. They just did this, and it works great. No good reason not to mirror Montgomery county.

I do not see the point of the paragraph "II"
Quote:
IN HOWARD COUNTY,AN ARCHERY HUNTER MAY HUNT ANY WILD BIRD OR MAMMAL WITHIN 100TO 150YARDS OF A DWELLING HOUSE,9RESIDENCE,CHURCH,OR ANY OTHER BUILDING OR CAMP OCCUPIED BY HUMAN BEINGS UNDER PARAGRAPH (3)(II)OF THIS SUBSECTION ONLY ON LAND THAT IS 11USED AS PART OF A MANAGED HUNT CONDUCTEDIN COORDINATION WITH THE HOWARD COUNTY RECREATION AND PARKS DEPARTMENT
Is this supposed to mirror I, regarding the use of a treestand??

The safety zone should improvement should not merely apply to manged hunts. As far as I know in MoCo, it applies everywhere. And if it only applies to managed hunts, even more reason to cut it to 50 yards (bow hunters are qualified under rigorous HoCo archery standards).
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 07:16 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
In Howard, it should be 50 yds like Montgomery County. They just did this, and it works great. No good reason not to mirror Montgomery county.

I do not see the point of the paragraph "II"

Is this supposed to mirror I, regarding the use of a treestand??

The safety zone should improvement should not merely apply to manged hunts. As far as I know in MoCo, it applies everywhere. And if it only applies to managed hunts, even more reason to cut it to 50 yards (bow hunters are qualified under rigorous HoCo archery standards).
If you read the entire thing, what I think they are trying to say is that the safety zone becomes 100 yards for archery hunters when archery hunters are participating in a hunt on land where a managed hunt is being conducted in coordination with the Howard County Recreation and Parks Department.

Seems pretty ridiculous to me all the way around. Seems even more pathetic that Howard County is becoming worse than Montgomery County with the gun and hunting regs.

Without a written agreement between you and I, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
Old November 15th, 2017, 07:30 PM #4
nope nope nope nope

nope nope nope nope

I was actually shocked when they pushed through 50 yards for MoCo. I thought for sure they'd try out 100 or 75 first. They did push through this weird thing where lost injured deer have to be reported to the police or something. It was a small cave to the animals rights terrorists. Wouldn't want bambi running through the woods with an arrow sticking out.
Old November 15th, 2017, 07:32 PM #5

Did you know...its illegal to shoot a squirrel out of a tree in MoCo?...I was in the DNR office at Gwenbrook and an officer there told me.
remrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 07:35 PM #6
nope nope nope nope

nope nope nope nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by remrug View Post
Did you know...its illegal to shoot a squirrel out of a tree in MoCo?...I was in the DNR office at Gwenbrook and an officer there told me.
shoot a squirrel out of a tree or shoot a squirrel from a tree?

Honestly, the first makes sense. People think that the bullet will stop in the squirrel, many times it doesn't... or you miss, even worse.
Old November 15th, 2017, 07:42 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
shoot a squirrel out of a tree or shoot a squirrel from a tree?

Honestly, the first makes sense. People think that the bullet will stop in the squirrel, many times it doesn't... or you miss, even worse.
Both of you are confusing the heck out of me.

Is it illegal for a hunter to shoot a squirrel that is in a tree?

Is it illegal for a hunter in a tree stand to shoot at a squirrel, whether the squirrel is in a tree or on the ground?

Can't believe we are even discussing this. Whether shooting a squirrel that is in a tree makes sense, depends on the weapon being used. With a shotgun or pellet gun, not a big deal. Kind of like shooting a bird flying through the air. With a rifle, that is a big problem, even out in the country. Probably a bad idea with a bow too because that arrows carries a huge amount of kinetic energy as it comes back down to earth.

Old November 15th, 2017, 08:00 PM #8
nope nope nope nope

nope nope nope nope

Isnt it ironic, this thread derailed by squirrels.

I dont hunt squrrels in MoCo so i have no idea. But if I see a deer in a tree, I shoot it.
Old November 15th, 2017, 08:53 PM #9

my biggest foe are those 4 legged large brown animals wearing steel shoes. aka horse people. please oh please keep your horses away from where I'm at.
brownspotz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:08 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownspotz View Post
my biggest foe are those 4 legged large brown animals wearing steel shoes. aka horse people. please oh please keep your horses away from where I'm at.
lol - the horse people are all around where you live. Don't have many over here.

Personally, I don't care f they are horse people, as long as they are not "horse people".

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports