• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here are the files contained in the NCIC check. Note that NICS rejections are a separate file. So if states report mental health adjudications, a LEO running an NCIC check would see if you are prohibited.

But this of course assumes states report this info to NICS.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ncic

Attachments

• ncic.jpg
      ncic.jpg
      64.9 KB · Views: 195
    • ncic2.jpg
      ncic2.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 196

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Here are the files contained in the NCIC check. Note that NICS rejections are a separate file. So if states report mental health adjudications, a LEO running an NCIC check would see if you are prohibited.

But this of course assumes states report this info to NICS.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ncic

So that pretty much clinches it. LE has access to NICS along with quite a bit more (warrants,stolen vehicles, boats,exc.).
    So in essence the antis want to throw the millions of CCW holders into a category with people who aren't prohibited according to NICS but may not qualify for a CCW permit. My guess is this is a very, very, narrow class of people.
    I think more of the resistance to this is because may-issue states want to pick and choose who carries. The GOP needs to highlight this in future debates.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    It's almost 2018, do we really not have the ability to do permit verifications via an officer's cell phone or laptop?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    They do but a state must have NLETS CCW database access to access other states databases. If you look at the map, many don't.

Attachments

• NLETS.jpg
      NLETS.jpg
      57.4 KB · Views: 129
    Last edited:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Very true. MD ranks among the worst states in reporting mental health issues to NICS

Why, I wonder?

Perhaps:
    MD protects and doesn't want to disclose politicians, judges, and other power elites with mental health issues, in the event the data is leaked?

Or, maybe:
    MD politicians, judges, and other power elites with a history of mental health issues "know" that they aren't part of the "gun violence problem" and don't want to be prohibited despite their own history? Translated: Even though they have mental health issues, they don't want to be "swept up" in a dragnet with the "little people" who are prohibited because of mental health issues.

Some other reason?

Maybe someone will ask them why, in public, during this year's MD Gen ASS'y hearings on the latest proposed infringements that will do nothing to fight crime.

[Edit: I'll bet Putin and Xi know, or could find out in ten minutes, if they wanted to.]

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Why, I wonder?

Perhaps:
    MD protects and doesn't want to disclose politicians, judges, and other power elites with mental health issues, in the event the data is leaked?

Or, maybe:
    MD politicians, judges, and other power elites with a history of mental health issues "know" that they aren't part of the "gun violence problem" and don't want to be prohibited despite their own history? Translated: Even though they have mental health issues, they don't want to be "swept up" in a dragnet with the "little people" who are prohibited because of mental health issues.

Some other reason?

Maybe someone will ask them why, in public, during this year's MD Gen ASS'y hearings on the latest proposed infringements that will do nothing to fight crime.

[Edit: I'll bet Putin and Xi know, or could find out in ten minutes, if they wanted to.]

Votes?

BananaRunt

Dec 9, 2017
    So the antis are making a big deal about "fake permits" being used by criminals and prohibited people in the absence of a 24/7 database.

My questions are:

1) What states currently have a 24/7 database accessible for LEO of other states
    2) Can LEO access NICS?
    3) If #2 is a no and LEO cannot access a database from another state, and we needed a Senate vote or two, would you be OK with LEOs being able to use NICS as a secondary verification source? My thought is this can be done quickly and will eliminate 99% of any fake or prohibited people. It would also help prevent states like NJ from holding people in jail over the weekend while they wait for the other states' offices to open.

I can assure you every police department in the country can access LEEP, with many database services available within the portal.

172pilot

Aug 28, 2010
    Wow.. that argument is crazy.. Someone willing to break the law, but they're going to waste the time to make a fake permit in case they get caught?

Reminds me of the line from the Breakfast Club movie, where the "goodie goodie" character admitted to having a fake drivers license, but he got it so that he could VOTE!

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Reason I bring this up is that I was a little disappointed with the House GOP's response to the Dems "sky is falling" charges during the hearings. Maybe they knew they had the votes and weren't going to put in the effort. But I feel they really could have taken the anti arguments apart. Instead it just seemed like the same canned statements on both sides.

Most of the Republicans are from the swamp as well. They already got you vote for reciprocity, why do anything more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom