• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Throwing this out to the MDS braintrust. I have had the conversation several times about hunting deer with a .357 Magnum Rifle. I believe it is more than adequate for deer inside 75 yards.

My question is if anyone else is currently hunting with a rifle length .357 and what factory hunting ammo are you using? According to DNR, the round must achieve 1200 foot pounds of muzzle energy. Has anyone done real world chrono testing on factory ammunition to verify they are getting 1200?

What say MDS?

And please, I know there are many more calibers out there more suitable for deer in a Rifle from .243 on up. All of my rifles happen to be in .357 Mag other than my AR platform stuff. My Henry needs a woods trip.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Whoa. Good luck OP. I've never seen that from a .357 but hopefully someone has.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Per MSP Guidelines: The bullets don't have to actually go 1200fps. The bullets just have to be stamped or sold as 1200fps bullets. You could stamp the bullets yourself though. J/K.

I think .357 Magnum inside of 75 yards is more than adequate with proper shot placement. Barnes solid copper bullets would shred Bambi's internals.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    It's 1,200 fpe (energy), not that many factory loads that are going to make that. Buffalo Bore loads may. Most of the factory loads that I have seen are off by a 100 - 150 fpe.
    For comparison the 170 grain 30/30 is around 1400 fpe. 357 is a good bit below that. While I also think the round will kill inside of 100 yds, it doesn't quite reach the legal limit. Again look at Buffalo Bore.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think the average muzzle energy of the .357 with a 6" bbl is around 650 lb/ft. Not sure what can be achieved with a long barrel.

Take the stock off and call it a pistol, you're a shoe-in (J/K)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Ammo & Ballistics 4 has three .357 Magnum (Rifle Data) loads listed two Winchester 20-inch barrel and one Federal 18-inch barrel, none of them make 1200 Ft-Lbs at the muzzle. I suspect the DNR police know what will and what won't.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I think the average muzzle energy of the .357 with a 6" bbl is around 650 lb/ft. Not sure what can be achieved with a long barrel.

You can hunt deer in Maryland with a handgun but it has to make at least 700 Ft-Lbs. muzzle energy out of a minimum 6" barrel and a quick look at Ammo & Ballistics does not show the .357 Magnum making that thresh hold. Among the more common calibers you would need .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, .480 Ruger or .50 caliber.

Correction: Aguila makes .357 Magnum ammo that is advertised to be 838 Ft-Lbs. muzzle energy.
    https://www.aguilaammo.com/centerfire/#pistoltab

MD hunting regs showing ammo requirements:
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/white-tailed-deer-seasons-bag-limits/

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I'd look to Buffalo Bore. They show several loads that would exceed the Maryland 1200 foot pounds of energy rifle requirement. Becomes easier if your Henry is a 20 inch tube, or if in another of your mentioned .357's, one measuring longer than carbine length. Buffalo Bore publishes an 18.5 inch barrel velocity spec.

Either way, if hunting Md. with .357 rifle, I'd plan on having manufacturer energy by ammo by barrel length documentation on my person. The clearer the better. I can envision that you could encounter a tough sell otherwise here.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You can hunt deer in Maryland with a handgun but it has to make at least 700 Ft-Lbs. muzzle energy out of a minimum 6" barrel and a quick look at Ammo & Ballistics does not show the .357 Magnum making that thresh hold. Among the more common calibers you would need .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, .480 Ruger or .50 caliber.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/white-tailed-deer-seasons-bag-limits/

I think you missed the point of my quip(no longer talking about 6" barrels).

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter

Here is another site with Ft#s @ the muzzle http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

According to the above site, it looks like anything >4" barrel will get there.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Great thread!!!

I picked up some Buffalo Bore ammo last year just for this, i really want to hunt with my .357 mag rifle.

I think this ammo will do it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      63.6 KB · Views: 243

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You are right I missed the quip. My Bad.

Years ago(like 25) I wanted so bad to hunt deer with my 686 8 3/8" bbl, but I couldn't find any source stating I could reach the mark. I eventually sold the gun and bought a Wetherby 30-06.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom