• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Ok. I have finally settled on the caliber. I have decided to go with 6.5 Grendel. After a lot of research and testimonies from people who have used the 4 main calibers dicused here, 6.8spc, 6.5 Grendel, .223, and 300blk, it is clear that they are all more than capable of taking game under the conditions that my father and I hunt. Now the only question is who makes quality parts or complete uppers? I was looking at Alexander arms since they are the originator of the round. I don't see an upper that fits exactly what I envisioned so I may have to build it.

Contact a company called Aero Precision.

They're a manufacturer and they produce top-shelf parts.

Good luck with your build.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Funny that you say that. I saw some 78gr 300BLK high velocity HD ammo at Lehigh Defense. At almost 2 bucks a trigger pull, this stuff better be the bees knees. I'm highly tempted to give it a shot, after I finish building my 300BLK pistol upper. Your thoughts on the 300BLK ammo?

https://www.lehighdefense.com/colle...se-quarters-lead-free-ammo?variant=1210780584

For HD in general, it is the AR pistol with 55gr FMJBT. Ammo is cheap enough, the pistol is already built, I know how it handles, blah blah blah....

Since the goal is probably not to over penetrate it would probably be pretty good and you are talking buckshot distances, so the crappy BC isn’t going to be a big deal. They claim barrier blind, but I’d be skeptical as hell of that. Sure, a sofa might not provide much of an obstacle, but I’d want to see real testing before I considered it good enough for putting a round through an interior door or wall and not have it fragment and spray.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How about Aerp Precision is a mfg , and they offer a huge selection of reasonably good parts & components , for excellent prices ?

Not a slam, and not un-recomending them , just clarifying.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Seems like this topic comes up every year. I have killed deer and black bear with my 223. It is devastating on animals. This was done while hunting in scenarios with shots under 75 yards. My primary deer gun is a 308. This is what i prefer to hunt with. It is very good at most anything on the east coast. Good luck to everyone!

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ok. I have finally settled on the caliber. I have decided to go with 6.5 Grendel. After a lot of research and testimonies from people who have used the 4 main calibers dicused here, 6.8spc, 6.5 Grendel, .223, and 300blk, it is clear that they are all more than capable of taking game under the conditions that my father and I hunt. Now the only question is who makes quality parts or complete uppers? I was looking at Alexander arms since they are the originator of the round. I don't see an upper that fits exactly what I envisioned so I may have to build it.

Odin works barrels are awesome.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Since the goal is probably not to over penetrate it would probably be pretty good and you are talking buckshot distances, so the crappy BC isn’t going to be a big deal. They claim barrier blind, but I’d be skeptical as hell of that. Sure, a sofa might not provide much of an obstacle, but I’d want to see real testing before I considered it good enough for putting a round through an interior door or wall and not have it fragment and spray.

You do know that a 55gr FMJBT out of an AR will go through a vehicle, right? A vehicle gives you zero cover, unless you are hunkered down behind the engine block, and even then, you are susceptible to ricochets. The windshield/windows of a vehicle is the barrier to be concerned about. Yes the bullet will punch through, but the deflection induced from impacting the window will cause it to initiate a random trajectory. A 62gr M855/SS109 will punch through and won't have as much of a random trajectory, if at all.

As such, a conch/piece of furniture/shrub/table/bookshelf is considered concealment (because you can conceal yourself behind it), while a wall/hard barrier is considered cover (bullet resistant).

A interior wall with sheetrock/drywall will stop a 55gr FMJBT.

I was curious to see what you though of a very light 30 caliber projectile made out of aluminum as a HD round. Some of us are always curious about weird things like this. :D

Especially when they are going to build a 300BLK pistol upper. :innocent0

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You do know that a 55gr FMJBT out of an AR will go through a vehicle, right? A vehicle gives you zero cover, unless you are hunkered down behind the engine block, and even then, you are susceptible to ricochets. The windshield/windows of a vehicle is the barrier to be concerned about. Yes the bullet will punch through, but the deflection induced from impacting the window will cause it to initiate a random trajectory. A 62gr M855/SS109 will punch through and won't have as much of a random trajectory, if at all.

As such, a conch/piece of furniture/shrub/table/bookshelf is considered concealment (because you can conceal yourself behind it), while a wall/hard barrier is considered cover (bullet resistant).

I was curious to see what you though of a very light 30 caliber projectile made out of aluminum as a HD round. Some of us are always curious about weird things like this. :D

Especially when they are going to build a 300BLK pistol upper. :innocent0

That interior wall isn’t going to stop a m193 inmeditately, it will cause it to yaw and possibly eject the core. Still deadly after penetrating a single wall. IIRC box o truth, an m193 is going to punch through about 7 layers of drywall before stopping. I think I saw a test where they spread out walls and shot it where you had like 5 or so feet between them and it veered rapidly and bounced off the 3rd wall (so 4 layers of drywall with wall simulants).

I think the lightweight round and large frontal cross section is going to cause the round to deflect rapidly on anything it hits. Which makes hitting things even behind cover problematic. Put a round in to a couch to hit the person behind it and it might exit 3 feet from where it entered.

Yeah, auto glass will slow a projectile, send it off randomly and it might prevent a hollow point from expanding successfully.

I think this sucker is going to face that kind of stuff in spades. The higher the velocity and the lower the weight, the higher the deflection angle on striking a surface at an angle. The long for weight nature also makes it easier to upset on striking something.

The kind of thing where hitting a branch 2 feet from your target might knock a regular round 6 inches off POI where this might get knocked twice that.

That kind of stuff is also likely to result in lower penetration through walls in a house. Just like why a 55gr .224 bullet tends not to go far through walls. Cover is more likely to result in random exit angles from the projectile.

I think it could be a very nasty round on a direct strike and present less over penetration issues than a slower .300BO round. Just about any lethal round in a house is potentially lethal through the entire house (passing through walls and being lethal on the other side). This is probably just less likely to be lethal if it does or can punch through an exterior wall and/or several interior walls.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

The windshield/windows of a vehicle is the barrier to be concerned about. Yes the bullet will punch through, but the deflection induced from impacting the window will cause it to initiate a random trajectory.
    Not random, it will deflect in the direction of the first point of contact. So if you shoot out through the windshield, the round deflects upwards, as the slant of the windshield makes the first top of contact on the upper part of the bullet.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

The windshield/windows of a vehicle is the barrier to be concerned about. Yes the bullet will punch through, but the deflection induced from impacting the window will cause it to initiate a random trajectory.
    Not random, it will deflect in the direction of the first point of contact. So if you shoot out through the windshield, the round deflects upwards, as the slant of the windshield makes the first top of contact on the upper part of the bullet.

True. I was thinking of non-flat objects even though I was talking Windows there. Things like tree branches, furniture, etc. it is of course based on the angle of impact, but it could be highly variable depending on what it is. Windshield you are right, in the direction of angle of impact (generally up). Thanks for correcting my statement.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Plenty of brass ammo with hunting suitable bullets , just not dirt cheap for plinking like commie steel .

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Doesn’t recommend using steel cased ammo. What’s the point of a x39 if you aren’t shooting steel cased ammo in it?

That’s like beer without alcohol.

Some people hate steel case ammo.This manufacturer is simply showing his silly bias toward low cost Russian steel case ammo. No reason you can't....maybe eventually you break an extractor ...what's an AR extractor cost maybe $20

I actually got a Radical Firearms upper from them complete with NiB bolt and Troy charging handle for $279 on a sale they were running a few months back.
    This one except complete and i shoot steel case ammo exclusively without any problems. ---> http://www.primaryarms.com/PABU16-7.62ZS
    Worst part of AR's in that cal. is getting mags but the new generation ones run 100% in mine.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Rate I am going, I am going to have to figure out a color scheme. I’ve got .223/5.56 down. A 10.5” pistol build, a 16” carbine upper and a 20” rifle build. Just got the last of the parts to build an 18” 6.5G upper that will be a full rifle in a couple of months.

A .300BO will probably get built some day. Maybe a 7.62x39 or something.

Maybe I need to do 6.5G in white, 7.62x39 in red and .300 in blue?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Rate I am going, I am going to have to figure out a color scheme. I’ve got .223/5.56 down. A 10.5” pistol build, a 16” carbine upper and a 20” rifle build. Just got the last of the parts to build an 18” 6.5G upper that will be a full rifle in a couple of months.

A .300BO will probably get built some day. Maybe a 7.62x39 or something.

Maybe I need to do 6.5G in white, 7.62x39 in red and .300 in blue?

If you make the 300BLK in red, you are a Commie.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    That is the only color a 762x39 should ever be. Don't forget the hammer and sickle on it somewhere.
    Sorry to butt in. Speaking as an expert - hammer and sickle don't belong on nobody's firearm. Not in 'Murica anyway.

That said, while I sold my M43 AR upper a couple of years ago - they run better now apparently with today's mags - my M43 bolt is a lot of fun at the range.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Sorry to butt in. Speaking as an expert - hammer and sickle don't belong on nobody's firearm. Not in 'Murica anyway.

That said, while I sold my M43 AR upper a couple of years ago - they run better now apparently with today's mags - my M43 bolt is a lot of fun at the range.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
    It seems as if you butted into the wrong post I made. The guy I quoted knows me well enough to know there was a lot of humor in what I said.

Lighten up, Francis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom