• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not quite. You can bring in a now banned firearm if you possessed it before 10-1-13. If you intend to establish residency, said firearm must be registered with MSP within 90 days of establishing residency.

True.

I don't think of those owned before 10/1/13 as banned. They are, and grandfathered, but my mind keeps putting them in a different category. :D

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Like most laws, first the general class is banned. Then exceptions are added. Look at the transport statute 4-203 on allowed activities.

This is no different.

They are all banned, then exempted by possession date.

unclebuck

Jan 26, 2013
    You can not bring a banned firearm into the state, if you are intending to change your residency to MD. If you are coming in for a temporary stay, and you are not prohibited from firearms ownership, you can bring it in, as long as it is temporary in nature.

Editing the incorrect information would be helpful.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Even that's not 100% correct.

You can bring into MD and register a banned firearm if you possessed it before 10-1-13.

You can also bring it into the state temporarily if you legally possessed it before 10-1-13

Originally Posted by DaemonAssassin
    You can not bring a banned firearm into the state, if you are intending to change your residency to MD. UNLESS YOU LEGALLY POSSESSED IT BEFORE 10-1-13. If you are coming in for a temporary stay, and you are not prohibited from firearms ownership, you can bring it in, as long as it is temporary in nature and AND YOU LEGALLY POSSESSED IT BEFORE 10-1-13.

mattjans

Feb 19, 2017
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks, guys! I thought that rule sounded pretty off-base, and not at all what I'd read in my own research on transferring guns from my dad in MI to CA (and now to MD, since we're back on this coast). I'll let my buddy know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom