• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    67, what round are you using? It sounds like a big rifle and the deer look small and the last one ran a long ways. I'm just surprised they didn't drop faster.

I'm currently using a 3" 12ga Remington accutip in a marlin 512. The first two does had milk that was drying up, they were about 75 and 70lbs. The third one was a 1.5 yo and about 65 lbs.

As for the shot on the third one it was just left of center in the front of the chest. It took out one lung length wise. Total distance she ran after the shot was less then 50 yards. I typically stick to vitals instead of dropping them with head/spine shots. They can be tough sometimes, I've had them make it 60 yds with half their heart missing.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am excited, but also nervous joining the ranks of archery hunters for the first time this year. I haven't delt with high heat while hunting before. Worse I've been out in was about 80F 2 decembers ago and 80% humidity when we were having that ridiculous heat wave. Didn't see a thing then. The deer I have taken it was about 60F, 55F and 45F those days.

I guess as mentioned so long as you get them to a processor/cooled in a reasonable time. Not like it spoils in an hour and I am not hunting hours and hours away from my car.

I guess I am worried about hunting in heat and having a deer run on me and not being able to find it. ML and gun, they've all dropped within 30yds.

I am looking forward to getting qualified for Potapsco state park. One of the hunting areas is about 3/4 of a mile up my road and I telework 2 days a week. Which means I could hit the field till about 8am 2 days a week or the other way start really early and hit the field by 3 and hunt till dark + 30.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    lazarus, Practice, practice and practice and only take shots you can guarantee a good side double lung shot with your bow. If you get both lungs they normally go 50 to 75 yards and want to see if the predator is still after them and then loose oxygen and die there. If the processor is not right close take a big knife or saw and split the chest and prop open with a stick. Get two bags of ice and stuff one upfront between the shoulders and one in back next to or as close the the hams as you can.

I can't remember the butcher in AA county, but I was in there years back and watch him throwing meat on the floor as he worked. Guys were out for early Muzzleloading on the shore and would drive 3 to 4 hours back without ice with the deer just in the truck bed. He was complaining that he can't give them half the deer back as it was partially spoiled. He said if they would just invest in two ice bags they could keep their entire deer.

67, I see, you are shotgunning and I thought it was a rifle. 70 pound isn't that small, the camera must just a have a slimming value. ;) When I hunted Harford years back I switched from Shotgun to Black Powder as I got better knock down from the soft lead hollow point and the shotgun slug would just punch a hole straight through and didn't seem to shock the same. I haven't done the research on shotgun deer rounds, but I thought they would be ballistic tipped now.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    07-27-2017, 110yds with 50cal t/c omega muzzleloader loaded with 120 gr of blackhorn 209 behind a 245 gr barnes spitfire mz.

Attachments

• 0727171823.jpg
      0727171823.jpg
      104.2 KB · Views: 467

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    For those that aren't into population management by taking does he is a little something to make you itch for the season to start.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    07-27-2017, 110yds with 50cal t/c omega muzzleloader loaded with 120 gr of blackhorn 209 behind a 245 gr barnes spitfire mz.

I use a TC Omega as well... my load is 90gr 777 with a 250gr TC Arms Shockwave sabot. It's devastating on deer. :cool:

My ramrod also comes unseated though with each shot. A little concerning at times... if I'm in a tree and watch it fall below me after the shot. :sad20:

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I use a TC Omega as well... my load is 90gr 777 with a 250gr TC Arms Shockwave sabot. It's devastating on deer. :cool:

My ramrod also comes unseated though with each shot. A little concerning at times... if I'm in a tree and watch it fall below me after the shot. :sad20:

I swapped from 777 to 209 last year and couldn't be happier. I did have to change out my breach plug because I had the older style. It's almost like you were describing my gun with the way the rod self ejects. :mad54:

This looks like a button buck?

She was about 75lbs and had milk, but when i walked up on her I may have also checked her head because the way her hair had a swirl it almost looked like super tiny buttons.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I've never had the ramrod on my CVA Wolf come clear off, but it usually does push out an inch after a shot. My load is 90gr 777 FFFg behind 240gr .44 XTP. At some point I'll switch to black horn as well as 265gr .44 FTX. But I still have 250 .44/240 XTP and a pound and a half of 777.

I am looking forward to it cooling off a little and warming up my front stuffer

Also nice buck there. Too bad it ran off. Monday night driving near Glennwood I saw a decent velvet 6/7 point (antlers were kind of twisted, so hard to tell) and a fork feeding 20yds off the road.

Making me anxious to get out in the field. I need to go figure out how to get a Potapsco hunting permit this year.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    07-29-2017, no video this time. I knew it would be close quarters shooting and I wouldn't have time for recording so I didn't even bring the camera. I was 8' off the ground in a tree, just high enough to get above some of the under growth. The shot was at 20 yds.

Attachments

• 0729171932.jpg
      0729171932.jpg
      92.9 KB · Views: 388

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    07-29-2017, no video this time. I knew it would be close quarters shooting and I wouldn't have time for recording so I didn't even bring the camera. I was 8' off the ground in a tree, just high enough to get above some of the under growth. The shot was at 20 yds.

Damn, your crushing them :thumbsup:

Looks like you go back and forth from shotgun to muzzle loader. Any reason for it, or is it personal preference?

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Damn, your crushing them :thumbsup:

Looks like you go back and forth from shotgun to muzzle loader. Any reason for it, or is it personal preference?

Just before I started the crop damage the optic failed on my primary hunting gun. I started with using my back up shotgun. I'm not super fond of the gun which is why it's my back up. I switched to the muzzle loader because I have more trigger time with it plus it's lighter and flatter shooting. Over the weekend I was able to make it to the range and get the new scope dialed in for my primary shotgun, so I will be going to that one now.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Finally got some range time in and was able to get my primary gun dialed back in with the new glass.

first one came running into the field and I didn't have time to turn the camera on. The second one I got on video.

Attachments

• 0801171949.jpg
      0801171949.jpg
      75.2 KB · Views: 341

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Currently I'm at 8 but I have 4 more days of hunting left. Last year I finished crop damage with 8. I think the group I hunt with is at 22 total in the past two weeks.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I think according to the permit issued by the state, property owners and employees aren't limited. I'm neither of those, so I'm limited to only does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom