• ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    should have bought them those cigarettes ... there is a level of expectation in that area... its only been in the last few years that the area by the 930 club has somewhat turned around... its still not a good area to be in especially around 2am

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That used to be a common thing in England for people wearing the wrong football colours in the wrong neighbourhood. Probably still is.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If I lived in DC I think I would have to develop a "limp" that required one heck of a good sized cane to compensate for.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    That used to be a common thing in England for people wearing the wrong football colours in the wrong neighbourhood. Probably still is.

Stabbings and slashings are rampant in London according to a friend who lived there for 6 years. Also muggings.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If I lived in DC

I can see no circumstances under which I'd ever begin a sentence with those words.

I can't feel the least sorry for trendy new urbanites who want to victims and then are incredulous when it happens.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    One more convert to the cause..?

Or will he just pay protection next time..

Maybe he will lobby for new free cigarette program so we can all pay for protection..

Wonder how may times this happends to those whose names don't rate a mention..

Frankly he came close to being ex post facto.. maybe he will learn

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    Maybe it was the way he said "no". I usually say....."I'm sorry, but I don't have any money..." when an aggressive panhandler harasses me. They appreciate that I'm apologetic towards their demands.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    I don't stop...I just say "No" and keep moving.

I also carry pepper spray when walking around downtown.

If you stop you open yourself up to a mugging or worse. I give a lot of money to the United Way, so I know I am helping these people with, meals, clothes, and shelter. Giving out money on the street is a bad idea, it encourages more begging, could get you robbed, and you are most likely feeding their habits for drink and drugs.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Maybe it was the way he said "no". I usually say....."I'm sorry, but I don't have any money..." when an aggressive panhandler harasses me. They appreciate that I'm apologetic towards their demands.

I don't stop...I just say "No" and keep moving.

I also carry pepper spray when walking around downtown.

If you stop you open yourself up to a mugging or worse. I give a lot of money to the United Way, so I know I am helping these people with, meals, clothes, and shelter. Giving out money on the street is a bad idea, it encourages more begging, could get you robbed, and you are most likely feeding their habits for drink and drugs.

I aggressively say no and often times will tell them not to touch my truck in a manner that is less then pleasant. I have compassion but not for the BUMS in MoCo that save up their money, get drunk as hell, and then buy salad from giant while wobbing around the store

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    Yeah, I try to never stop and just say "no, sorry...." as I keep walking. I used to say shit to them, but the chances of catching something like Hepatitis....should I cut my fist on their teeth, is just not worth it.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    If I lived in DC I think I would have to develop a "limp" that required one heck of a good sized cane to compensate for.

I have that very malady and your prescription was the one I also settled upon.

Attachments

• ws1.jpg
      ws1.jpg
      39.7 KB · Views: 364

chopsocky

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 15, 2012
    I have wondered about carrying a cane.

Positives: Legal. Powerful. Legit uses as a cane.

Negatives: Bulky. Red Flags you as being weaker or older or injured or crippled, or all of the above.

Criminals often target the elderly. You can't hide your age, but with a cane and a limp (real or fake), this accentuates the target that's already on you. Even if you're not elderly, the cane may draw criminals to you if the other targets in their immediate surroundings are more healthier looking people....and here you are with a cane + limp. Yea, you may crack their skull and chalk one up for the Good Guys.... but you may not have been targeted in the first place if you didn't have the cane.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I aggressively say no and often times will tell them not to touch my truck in a manner that is less then pleasant. I have compassion but not for the BUMS in MoCo that save up their money, get drunk as hell, and then buy salad from giant while wobbing around the store

****Seriously? The bums in MoCo buy from Whole Foods here! :) Even our bums feel they are entitled to non GMO foods, Gluten free, and responsibly farmed arugula and radicchio! They do stumble around though... and there seem to be more and more of these people every day in MoCo.

cb51

I have wondered about carrying a cane.

Positives: Legal. Powerful. Legit uses as a cane.

Negatives: Bulky. Red Flags you as being weaker or older or injured or crippled, or all of the above.

Criminals often target the elderly. You can't hide your age, but with a cane and a limp (real or fake), this accentuates the target that's already on you. Even if you're not elderly, the cane may draw criminals to you if the other targets in their immediate surroundings are more healthier looking people....and here you are with a cane + limp. Yea, you may crack their skull and chalk one up for the Good Guys.... but you may not have been targeted in the first place if you didn't have the cane.

Actually you're about half wrong about the cane being a bigger target. Half because the stereo typical cane these days for people that are actually in need of one, is the all metal foam handle thing they give out at the hospital. That will paint you as a bigger target.

But…the rustic walking stick carried by a man who doesn't look lie he needs a cane, and is not limping, is a street recognized thing to stay away from. It's a valid street thing. A few years ago I was in a group therapy at the V.A. hospital in Washington. This is down on Irving street and it's not the best neighborhood. Most of my fellow depression group were my age, 60's, and were Vietnam era vets. MOst of them were local residents of that part of D.C. and we got a few friendships going. One guy, I'll call Fred, who looked a bit like actor Forest Whitaker, a big guy 6 foot 4 or so and hulking. I noticed that like all the other black guys who lived there, he carried a stout rough looking walking stick. Looked like a piece of an oak tree limb with a rubber foot slipped on the bottom.

We got to talking about sticks, as he was admiring my Irish Blackthorn on one day, and my hornbeam stick on another. The conversation led to the mean streets of D.C and sticks. Most of the guys carried a stick because it's an effective weapon that is legal, doesn't have lots of repercussions, and it's right in hand al the time. No need to draw anything from a pocket. Fred went on to mention that the young street punks keep clear of the stick even if they have a knife. Guns are usually reserved for robbing convenience stores and liquor stores. Most street crime is commented with a cheap kitchen knife stolen from a disc out store or grannies kitchen. The knife is meant for intimidation od the suits with the attaché cases they mug. The street punks know to stay away from the older guys carrying a thinly disguised club. Blunt force trauma is very effective and nobody wants to get their head busted in, or arm broke.

So, in D.C. street life and low life's in general, the stout walking stick is a known weapon, and it will not draw any targets on you. JUst the opposite. The street slime will eyeball you, but stay clear. I've been carrying a stick for decades, and have a small collection I've made, and keep in an umbrella stand by the door. JUst grab one on the way out.

If anyone asked why you have it, just tell them an old sports injury or old army injury acts up now and then. But with the Americans With Disabilities Act, they are not even really allowed to ask. I've walked right through TSA security with the only thing they doing is is to x-ray the stick to make sure nothing is concealed in it.

Carry a stick, and be rady to use it, and likely you never will have to. But if you do, you can break the arm or skull of any low life and not have the trouble and legal bills as if you'd shot him. Shoot the little bastid and he's a new matter, but just break his wrist that he's holding the knife in, or lay him out with a headache, and there's no media frenzy.
    9523721754_6d9b9fdd46_c.jpg

It's always right there in hand, even on a walk in the park.
    9710257215_4e212ca025_c.jpg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    ****Seriously? The bums in MoCo buy from Whole Foods here! :) Even our bums feel they are entitled to non GMO foods, Gluten free, and responsibly farmed arugula and radicchio! They do stumble around though... and there seem to be more and more of these people every day in MoCo.

Shaggy, stinky, unkempt, hairy, unwashed and smashed on a chemical high in MoCo? Probably just a hipster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom