• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Big bag of glow sticks, in multiple colors. On sale at Amazon and was buying other things, figured they’d come in handy, so in the cart they went. Probably not, but seemed like a good idea at the time. At least I won’t be empty-handed the next rave I attend?

I think tacticool doctrine dictates that I hang several of these from my plate carrier, next to a DEVGRU “stick man with spear” velcro patch. I did put a handful in my IFAK bag. Also put a few in my truck’s console right next to my zillion lumen flashlight in case, you know, I need some additional lighting.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    DEVGRU “stick man with spear”

In a fit of pickiness, I think I'll share that that design is an early 20th-century concoction inspired (during a resurgence in interest in pirate tales) by reports of Edward Teach ("Blackbeard") who was said to fly a black flag with a death's head and/or decorative "blood" on it. The spear aimed at the heart is intended to convey "no quarter," and the hourglass is a toast to the devil, or some such.

So it's now commonly referred to as Blackbeard's Flag, and its message is clear - but it popped up based on other references and evolved into its current spot in the culture. On a related note, "Blackbeard's Delight" is a pretty tasty bag of coffee, and feature's the flag on the packaging.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Blackbeard

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    In a fit of pickiness, I think I'll share that that design is an early 20th-century concoction inspired (during a resurgence in interest in pirate tales) by reports of Edward Teach ("Blackbeard") who was said to fly a black flag with a death's head and/or decorative "blood" on it. The spear aimed at the heart is intended to convey "no quarter," and the hourglass is a toast to the devil, or some such.

So it's now commonly referred to as Blackbeard's Flag, and its message is clear - but it popped up based on other references and evolved into its current spot in the culture. On a related note, "Blackbeard's Delight" is a pretty tasty bag of coffee, and feature's the flag on the packaging.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Blackbeard
    Good info, thanks for the edification.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I have done a fair amount of research and I believe that these are the best for the money of the counters that do everything that you would need.

First, the smaller one with the gray case is the GQ GMC-600 Plus Geiger Counter Detector/Dosimeter. It will read alpha, beta, gamma, and x-ray radiation.

The second one in all yellow is a Victoreen CDV-715 Radiation Detection Survey Meter for when things really get hot.

Hopefully I will not NEED to use them but I have been having a ton of fun playing with them.

Attachments

• 20220303_022529.jpg
      20220303_022529.jpg
      49.1 KB · Views: 367
    • s-l1600 (48).jpg
      s-l1600 (48).jpg
      85.2 KB · Views: 367

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Canning Meat

Well since I have purchased an All American 15.5qt Pressure Cooker/Canner I have been really busy. I canned 15 pints of split pea soup with ham, 15 pints of turkey chili, canned pickled beef heart and beef tong, 15 pints of chicken breast, 10 pints of turkey sloppy joe meat sauce. I tried something outside the box and pickled whole some Johnsonville Smoked brats using a garlic pickling recipe. Cold packed dried navy beans, butter beans and black eye peas.

The best thing of all no preservatives just a little salt in some and none in others. I grew up canning with my grandmother for years until I was a teenager that's when girls kicked in. I have her Magic Chef cookbook set, back in the 40s/50s lard was king as every recipe used it. There are old recipes just about from every country and area in the US. One set was just for canning, I am now at my grandmothers age, so things have come full circle.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I have done a fair amount of research and I believe that these are the best for the money of the counters that do everything that you would need.

First, the smaller one with the gray case is the GQ GMC-600 Plus Geiger Counter Detector/Dosimeter. It will read alpha, beta, gamma, and x-ray radiation.

The second one in all yellow is a Victoreen CDV-715 Radiation Detection Survey Meter for when things really get hot.

Hopefully I will not NEED to use them but I have been having a ton of fun playing with them.

When did you buy that GQ GMC-600 if I may ask?

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Picked up another Fenix CL30R lantern. Its USB rechargeable & serves as a USB power bank as well.

I grabbed it because they're discontinuing it & there's no real replacement from them. It takes 3 of the 2600 or 3500MaH 18650s & they are removable so you can have spares, which I also bought.
    Plus moving from the apartment to the house has added a couple more rooms.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Well since I have purchased an All American 15.5qt Pressure Cooker/Canner I have been really busy. I canned 15 pints of split pea soup with ham, 15 pints of turkey chili, canned pickled beef heart and beef tong, 15 pints of chicken breast, 10 pints of turkey sloppy joe meat sauce. I tried something outside the box and pickled whole some Johnsonville Smoked brats using a garlic pickling recipe. Cold packed dried navy beans, butter beans and black eye peas.

The best thing of all no preservatives just a little salt in some and none in others. I grew up canning with my grandmother for years until I was a teenager that's when girls kicked in. I have her Magic Chef cookbook set, back in the 40s/50s lard was king as every recipe used it. There are old recipes just about from every country and area in the US. One set was just for canning, I am now at my grandmothers age, so things have come full circle.

What is the best resource to learn how to can. I've been interested for a while but don't know where to start.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    What is the best resource to learn how to can. I've been interested for a while but don't know where to start.

Buy the Ball Home Preserving Book from Amazon. I learned to can when I was 8 years old with my grandma. Back then recipes were passed down a long with canning processes. Today it is much simpler cleanliness is the upmost part of the process.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm buying any sort of home maintenance consumable I think I might need.

Paint brushes, hardware, caulk.

Frantically trying to get projects done before prices go up again.

We public employees can't adjust our salaries like tradespeople can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom