• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve been trying to do my research on rimfire suppressors. About to dip my toes in to NFA and suppressors for the first time. I’ve been advised (I am sure rightly) to buy once, cry once.

A $200 tax stamp rather encourages this. Any thoughts or suggestions either based on something you’ve owned, tried or 2nd hand. On the expensive, but good backing and great reputation end are SilencerCo Switchback and AAC Element 2.

I’ve also run across companies like Rebel, who have a darned seductive price, but I’ve heard troubling things. Mostly from people who haven’t tried the suppressor.

I would like something capable of handling 22wmr. I don’t own one, but if for some crazy reason I only ever own one suppressor, is like to be able to use a 22wmr some day to take care of larger pests/longer range. Right now I want a can for fun at the range and taking care of pests on my 4.4 acres and higher the neighbors less while doing it. Subs work just fine against fox, raccoons and groundhogs at the distances I need to use them. If my dreams come true and I upgrade to 20 or 30 acres on retirement, I might some year be dealing with more like 100+ yds for that kind of stuff and both the power of the cartridge needed will be higher and bothering neighbors with a SS crack is less of an issue, but still want to keep it quieter than unsuppressed use.

I’ve also looked at the Ruger SR suppressor.

Money is an object, which is why ~$700 after stamp has me having some pause, $400 after stamp is a heck of a lot easier to stomach.

That said, if it ends up being my only one, or laws change and an avenue to get another one closes...I am not sure I want to regret having “saved” $200-300.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I've more than once recommended the Oculus from Rugged. Very glad I spend a wee bit more to go that route. Can be used in two configurations (full size, and short), tears down for easy cleaning, and will handle the ammo you're considering (and even five-seven). Unit is just under $400 before the stamp, so be sure it's on your consideration list.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Remember the Tac65 GB?

Buy a high-quality, big name-brand, lots of reviews and customer service that would be around. you can get fancy with your other suppressors, get off to a good start but it good quality brand.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I purchased a Switchback from United Gun Shop through Silencer shop kiosk in mid January. Here is the latest from Silencer Shop. I called Silencerco and they said the buy one get one kicked their asses. I purchased an Omega 7.62 a few weeks later from Gymratz- helluva deal, as usual and just now got the check cashed. I may not see these until next year. Bullshiite.

Silencerco stated to me that they have dropped the db on the switchback22 down to lower 100 like 103-105db. Heard great things about both, especially the switchback22.

Greetings!

We're sending you a note to let you know that a silencer you have on order is not in stock, and just to remind you that the ATF paperwork can't start until we get the actual serial number from the manufacturer.

The following item(s) are awaiting serial number assignment, and you will receive additional notifications as serial number(s) are reserved:

Qty Manufacturer Model Serial Number(s)
    1 SILENCERCO, LLC SWITCHBACK 22 AWAITING ASSIGNMENT

Should you wish to continue to wait for this item to arrive, there's nothing for you to do at this time (and thanks for your patience). However, if you prefer to change your order to an in-stock item, please call 1-512-931-4556 and we'll gladly review your options with you.

Sincerely,

Silencer Shop

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have a Spectre II and think it's great. Rimfire cans aren't as expensive in general compared to larger caliber cans.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    a little above your price range but i would say take a look at the thunderbeast arms 22 takedown. no first round pop, good sound suppression and no poi shift. unfortunately mines still in jail so i'm only relating information read online and experienced through other shooters i've talked to who own it.

i will also vouch for macmoov's el camino. i have shot with him and it is damn quiet

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I own a few and love them, but I will not recommend a certain brand or model, except that Silencerco has excellent customer service.
    Buy one with a baffle stack instead of monocore. They are easier to clean and generally have less first round pop. Avoid aluminum if you can. I think the aluminum is harder to keep clean and may not be rated for higher calibers

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I have a silencerco spectre II which has the click together assembly like the switchback. I really like it, steel internals are a must on a .22 can for durability IMO. Also have a sparrow, which is equally good, just different. The mono baffle in the sparrow has a little more first round pop than the spectre which makes it a little more of a rifle can, but performs great on pistols as well. Both are the same as far as quietness goes with standard velocity cci. I’ve used both on ruger 10/22 and 22/45.

Rugged seems to be making good stuff as well, but I’m not as familiar with their rimfire offerings.

I’d get something with a steel baffle stack and steel tube if possible. Steel seems to manage heat better in suppressors than titanium in my personal experience. You may also never get it that hot, but if you are shooting a bunch of WMR it just might.

Edit to add, I think the sparrow is a little easier to clean than the spectre after a lot of rounds. I’ve gone well over 1000 rounds between cleaning the sparrow and it just comes apart easily. The baffle core is pretty easy to knock most stuff out of pretty quick. I replace the viton o-rings and reassemble it, good as new. The nooks of the spectre baffles take a little more effort to clean. Other than first round pop the sparrow is pretty much perfect. Looks like they can be had pretty cheap these days and are all steel construction.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I own a few and love them, but I will not recommend a certain brand or model, except that Silencerco has excellent customer service.
    Buy one with a baffle stack instead of monocore. They are easier to clean and generally have less first round pop. Avoid aluminum if you can. I think the aluminum is harder to keep clean and may not be rated for higher calibers

This 100%.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have two Silencerco Sparrows. Great cans, pretty quiet, not too bad to clean, and durable as can be.

Jack

J & S Gun Sales
    I have a Tac-65. I have been shooting it every other day since 2012 and have never cleaned it. After it gets dirty it breaks off and goes out the barrel. I shoot Aguilla 60 gr. SSS and point of impact is the same out of multiple pistols and rifles. Dead center. I sold many of Craigs cans for $150 a pop and have never regretted that. Yes, some are probably better on paper but by money is better in my bank. FWIW

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks everyone!

Any opinions on going as light as possible? I don't like the idea of aluminum baffles, even with 22lr. But is the difference between a 5-6" long rimfire can weighing ~6oz for steel tube and one weighing in at 3-4oz with an aluminum or titanium tube going to be all THAT noticeable? Primary use is going to be on a 10/22 with a threaded 16" barrel. I may some day get a Tacsol barrel for it, but no day soon. Some day also probably a 22lr handgun. But my wife is frowning on that idea big time, so it'll be a couple of years at least.

For a 22wmr, no idea my use. Considering an A22, but might end up with some kind of bolt gun in 22wmr in a few years.

Also I've seen a comment or two on staying away from aluminum, is that recommendation more about the baffle stack? Or does that include the tube being a bad idea in aluminum?

Thanks!

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I have seen this recommendation out there as well, ' buy a can that can handle all rimfire caibers upfront, so you don't ened up with a can that cant handle a rimfire round you may get into in the future'

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom