Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 9th, 2019, 05:53 AM #11

What you are looking at is the barrel chamber. There is no separate feed ramp on the 1892 style rifle. When done properly, the edge of the chamber is chamfered lightly and the cutouts are made for the extractor and ejector. If you had a headspace problem, the brass would be expanded around the entire case. As it is, someone did a sloppy job of either cutting the chamber or chamfering the mouth.

Sorry, but you need to return it and they'll rebarrel it.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 08:10 AM #12
Get off my lawn

Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
So you think that Mike and I both have defective rifles?

This is what I could get a picture of on my rifle. All the debris in the last picture is lint from a tissue. The little “ditch” can be seen at the top of the feed ramp. I think that is the source of the crescent deformation in most of my brass. Note my 38 SPL and the 357 Fiocchi brass did not have the deformation.

Jeffrey A. Perkins "Heated Debate" JUL 27, 2015 post #15 (on http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-do-y...ry-guns-public ) "Our government was tasked with protecting freedoms and should it fail, our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of those freedoms is not necessary. Anyone who tells you any different is an enemy of freedom. Tell them I said so."
I should have stayed in East Tennessee when I had the option.
Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 08:55 AM #13

Looks like a lot of material has been removed from the chamber and could extend in to an area not supported by the head of the case. Cut up a fired case and measure it to see if it is thinning. If you don't have any babbitt or cerro material to make a cast, you can melt powdered yellow sulfur from the rx and use that if your handy. Just don't do it in the house or breathe that mess in unnecessarily.
A sulfur cast will be brittle but if done right will show abnormalities. Warming the dried parts with a hair dryer is a +

Name:  IMG_1064.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  166.8 KB
Doco Overboard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:29 AM #14
Trust Me, I Sell Cars

Trust Me, I Sell Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
What you are looking at is the barrel chamber. There is no separate feed ramp on the 1892 style rifle. When done properly, the edge of the chamber is chamfered lightly and the cutouts are made for the extractor and ejector. If you had a headspace problem, the brass would be expanded around the entire case. As it is, someone did a sloppy job of either cutting the chamber or chamfering the mouth.

Thanks for your input, I dread having to send it back but I supposed it'll have to go. DANG IT!
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:32 AM #15

I am going to cry excessive headspace. What caught my attention is the way the rim is deformed forward in the first pic of the OP.
357 Mag headspaces on the rim. The second pic in the OP shows what appears to be an extractor mark in the extractor groove. It coincides with the rim deformation. In the first pic you can see a section of the rim pushed forward. What may be occurring is the bolt side of the extractor is supporting the rim while the remainder of the rim is pushed back by case thrust during firing.

If it was pressure bulge at the feed ramp we would probably see impressions of the two square cut sections in that part of the barrel. Just my .02
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:40 AM #16
Trust Me, I Sell Cars

Trust Me, I Sell Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
I am going to cry excessive headspace. What caught my attention is the way the rim is deformed forward in the first pic of the OP.
357 Mag headspaces on the rim. The second pic in the OP shows what appears to be an extractor mark in the extractor groove. It coincides with the rim deformation. In the first pic you can see a section of the rim pushed forward. What may be occurring is the bolt side of the extractor is supporting the rim while the remainder of the rim is pushed back by case thrust during firing.

If it was pressure bulge at the feed ramp we would probably see impressions of the two square cut sections in that part of the barrel. Just my .02

Yeah, it's kinda hard to show in photos, but the case appears to be pressure-formed to a bad chamber. I'm bummed. Shoots great too.
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:47 AM #17

John is correct!! Send the rifle back.
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:48 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post

Yes indeed..
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:55 AM #19
Certified Mad Scientist

Certified Mad Scientist

Don't risk it. Rossi should make this right. Do it now and they should cover the full cost. I waited too long to send a rifle back to Chiappa and they made me eat the shipping.
Doctor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 05:11 PM #20
Trust Me, I Sell Cars

Trust Me, I Sell Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
This is what I could get a picture of on my rifle. All the debris in the last picture is lint from a tissue. The little “ditch” can be seen at the top of the feed ramp. I think that is the source of the crescent deformation in most of my brass. Note my 38 SPL and the 357 Fiocchi brass did not have the deformation.

I just realized that the 38spl and Fiocchi may not have had enough pressure to form the case or cause a problem. The federal and surprisingly the Geco can be pretty stout. Calling them Monday, I'll fill you in.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing