• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jkratz

Dec 22, 2016
    Jarrettsville MD
    I ended up with a variety from Amazon, but now that I’ve seen Joes oak blocks, i’m going to make set of those too :thumbsup:

U don’t by any chance have the link to the bottom two on amazon do you?

Looks link # 2 and #3 are the same, different colors? Or are they different sizes?

Thanks
    Jeff

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I want to buy a barrel vise for doing minor work on my guns (mostly muzzle devices), but I'm not sure what to buy. I really don't want to break the bank buying something that I wont use very often, but I want something good enough to keep me out of the gunsmiths shop simply because I cant support the rifle to work on it

I found a few on Amazon, but I would like to hear what you guys have to say.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-6722...id=1549283395&sr=8-3&keywords=Gun+Barrel+Vise

This one looks like something I could make in a few hours with scrap material that I already have laying around

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-4651...id=1549283395&sr=8-2&keywords=Gun+Barrel+Vise

I have these Here

and the first one you posted. If you ever need to just borrow one Your welcome to Brian

Another thing that gets me by when there is a stubborn part that doesnt want to come off is i take a old leather belt or sling and wrap it around the barrel, it protects the barrel from the vise and it will no longer turn when i try to remove the part.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Yes, indeed! My pine blocks are on their last leg and I've got oak ready to replace them.

I'm not ready to toss in the towel on pine yet... Now that I've built up some confidence I did a test run on lining up a muzzle brake on my Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK. Having a brake on this rifle is basically "for looks" (a can would be really nice!)

The barrel OD is .703". Closest undersized standard spade drill bit is 11/16" (.6875"). So I drilled a hole in a scrap piece of 5/4 pine deck board and sliced the block in half on a band saw. Then I clamped the barrel in my bench vise.

It worked well enough to orient the side ports correctly. :thumbsup: The brake needs another half turn. But there are no top ports like on the 270 brake so it will work just fine for now. If not, I'll make another block out of oak.

So in the past couple of days I spent $11 for a piece of oak at Lowe's and I've managed to get two muzzle brakes on rifles using tools I already had! Go figure...

I want my 7MM Rem Mag the local smith has had for over 2 months BACK on my bench! :tantrum:

Attachments

• Muzzle Brake Capture.jpg
      Muzzle Brake Capture.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 177

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    A wrap of duct tape on the barrel and rosin in the blocks makes it marless and turnless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom