• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    I shot a Glock 20 Gen4 and was impressed with how well it handled. A few months later one is sitting in my safe. 1911s are cool too if that is the platform that you like. The earlier 10 mm 1911 designs were rumored to be not that durable. Does anyone have any information on the durability of more recent 1911s in 10 mm?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There's no issues using the 10mm round in the 1911 platform as long as SAAMI pressures aren't exceeded. It doesn't matter what make pistol as they're all engineered to take it.

The initial bad name was back in the 1980s when Colt discovered some frames would show cracks at the window in the frame where the slide release fit through. The issue was addressed before production was begun and hasn't shown since those pre-production guns or possibly a few very early examples sold commercially.

Durability is not an issue to deal with with any 10mm pistol on the 1911 platform. If there is a problem...it's a quality control issue not a design issue.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    My favorite 10mms:

Delta Elite (Opt for a ramped barrel conversion if hot loads are your thing)

Sig 220 legion-10mm. the ergonomics aren't as good due to the longer grip but if you have big hands then this is a good option

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I built a Polymer 80 PF 45 in 45 ACP. Converts to 10mm with just a barrel change. Shoots great. If doing lots of 10mm or hot loads may want stronger RSA but neither that nor extractor change is required.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have a Glock 40, and I really like it.
    The lighter loads are very controllable.
    This is a Very Accurate Gun.
    I have not shot anything super hot thru it so that remains to be seen.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    I've shot the g20, maybe a 100 rounds, i thought it had a lot of muzzle flip and a sharp recoil in the hand. so much so that it is easily noticeable over the g21 in 45.

I have a RIA 1911 I've had for a long time. Still love it. I can tell im not shooting 45, but it's less noticable in the metal frame than the polymer frame.

If I were in the market, I would probably do the RIA 2011 if it's on the MD list.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Shot a Colt Delta 10 mm last weekend and it got me thinking that I need one. Ruger 1911 looks nice. What’s your favorite 10 mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EAA Witness P-Match Pro, shoots great light to carry while hiking.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    I like Glock, maybe because they are inexpensive! Plus I shoot well with them (took several years to master the trigger though).

I did convert all of my 45: G30, G21, G41 to 10mm with barrel conversion , mags and extractor- No issue with any of them, even when I shot 40s&w rounds out of them.

Also, got a Glockzilla 40 (10mm) as well. I like it a lot I am thinking about getting another one in either gray or FDE end of this year.

Forgot to say, 22lbs recoil spring really helps soaking up recoil from 10mm pretty good.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    You know how often I find myself shooting at bears....

Way less often than I find myself shooting at 2 liter bottles of cheap soda

2 liters aren't particularly fleet of foot so follow up shots are easy if you miss.

10mm with 135 gr Noslers is very amusing

"Practical". Ehhhh

My favorite 10mm is the Glock 40 with an RMR on top.

sig guy

Feb 4, 2013
    Edgemere MD
    Though i have a kimber stainless target II longslide i kind of wish i spent my money on the EAA witness hunter,after shooting one with everything all polished up i found it more comfortable,way more reliable then my kimber as its picky about ammo and you can't beat the extra capacity and price.i also love that the pistol comes in a very nice case with extra recoil springs in different weights.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Does a full power 10mm kick more than a .45acp ? No duh ! , laws of physics .

But that's not the relevant comparison . Instead , think of it as the equivalent of a .41magnum from a service sized semiauto pistol . It's a narrow niche , but one that I appreciate .

Ironically for as much as I like 10mm , several times I have talked people out of them .

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Does a full power 10mm kick more than a .45acp ? No duh ! , laws of physics .

But that's not the relevant comparison . Instead , think of it as the equivalent of a .41magnum from a service sized semiauto pistol . It's a narrow niche , but one that I appreciate .

Ironically for as much as I like 10mm , several times I have talked people out of them .

I think the logic for me getting one was to use it as an all purpose woods gun.

Yes, it is a heavy brick of a platform, but:

It's a great caliber because it covers such a wide ranges of loadings and projectile types that give you a level of flexibility that a lot of other calibers do not.

With solid projectiles at an appropriate weight and velocity, it is a formidable bear gun for the sized bears we typically see in the Appalachian region.

Likewise, with hollow point ammo, coupled with an ability to carry three magazines in a typical carry scenario, you've got effective two-legged defensive measures. Also super effective at things like wild dogs, a pack of which I have encountered when being at my cabin.

46 rounds of 10mm is a lot of insurance when in the woods, and, if anything, it gives me time to get to my long gun if at the Undisclosed Location (tm).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    (Still waiting for my parts to come back from milling and finishing to show off my 'Mock 20 6" hunting rig.)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'd like to see a picture of it and details when complete. I've been tempted to get a 6" barrel for mine

P80 frame(of course) stippled by me.

Alpha Wolf G20 Long Slide (RMR cut and slide Nitrided buy Battle Werx. 30 day turnaround)

Alpha Wolf 6" 10mm Barrel

Trijicon SRO Red Dot Sight

Ameriglo One Dot Suppressor Sights

Glock Small Parts.

I was tempted to buy the Glock 6" barrel, but in the end, I opted for the Alpha. This will be my new hunting pistol and if the accuracy doesn't live up to expectations, I will give the Glock bbl a try.

Attachments

• 10mm1.jpg
      10mm1.jpg
      86.1 KB · Views: 217
    • 10mm2.jpg
      10mm2.jpg
      84 KB · Views: 209
    • 10mm4.jpg
      10mm4.jpg
      102.9 KB · Views: 213
    • 10mm5.jpg
      10mm5.jpg