• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Aw, shucks, appreciate the comments, Uncle Duke. It was thumb swiped on the phone, so there is slop in the review (I give more thought when actually typing), but I was trying to cover things that I thought important. Failed to mention fouling shots, which are similar to seasoning if I understand correctly, but fewer in numbers. Like you, I've discovered there's a whole lot of fun in rimfire shooting - and while practicing as well as learning is less expensive - this might be compensated by an acquisition of more and more rimfire firearms. :)

Eta: and thanks for similar thoughts, Dreadpirate. Yes, Z, once you got the rhythym, you were laying shots of CCI Standard Velocity on top of eachother. If I wasn't trying to get a big ammo test in, would have let you continue. ;)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Thanks. Will take a look.

Here you go. Just remove the action from the stock and there is just one hex bolt holding it in. Also in the last pic, in case you didn't know, is the screw on the trigger housing that can be turned to adjust the weight of the trigger. Turn it out (counter clockwise) to lighten just like it's Tikka big brothers.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1fd.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1fe.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1ff.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here you go. Just remove the action from the stock and there is just one hex bolt holding it in. Also in the last pic, in case you didn't know, is the screw on the trigger housing that can be turned to adjust the weight of the trigger. Turn it out (counter clockwise) to lighten just like it's Tikka big brothers.

View attachment 253447

View attachment 253448

View attachment 253446
    Awesome. Thanks so much. Very useful. I had no idea there was such a large barrel support. Yeah, I think I'll remove mine before the next range trip, and see what happens.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Those groups at 100 yards with the Tikka are something; I mean I would be extremely happy to shoot groups like that with a 22 bolt gun just out of the box.
    There are better groups on RFC at 100 yards with the same model rifle. In the 0.3-0.5 inch range with 5-shot groups.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I agree. The man does gun geeks, like us, proud.

6hWtY6G.jpg

Not for nothin, here's my 10 shot group @ 50 yards with it. I got to take a total of 20 shots with the T1x, 10 @ 25 yards to check zero and another 10 @ the 50 yard target.

Maybe it was just due to the fact that I hadn't shot anything except CZ .22 rifles in quite awhile but, the T1x's trigger blew me away. I hadn't felt a rifle trigger that good since the Timney I installed in a Rem 700 several years ago. It's that good. Build quality is exactly what you'd expect from something that came out of the Sako factory.

Not too shabby there yourself! 10 perfectly executed shots are indeed telling, but they damned sure ain’t easy!

Yep! Fidelity put a SERIOUS amount of time and effort and well thought out consideration into that review. Top shelf stuff there indeed!

I didn’t need to hear about the T1x trigger. Especially since I love a good trigger! I own 2 CZ 455 Varmints, so I have a real good idea of what that rifle is all about. When I first bought that rifle in 17HMR a few years ago now, after asking myself for years why in the world I’d ever want one, the rifle and cartridge combination literally completely redefined for me what I had previously thought rimfires to be capable of. So, not wanting to swap barrels, but rather wanting to grab and go, I later bought the 22 as well. I have those triggers set up with hunting in mind, where I purposely always want a heavier trigger. I’d have them break lighter if strictly for targets, but wish to “err” or lean toward what’s more appropriate for hunting considerations.

So now.....hmmm.....let’s see. A T1x with a trigger pull set up more for targets? Or maybe go the other way around, with the lighter overall weight Tikka set up with a still good but a hunting weight trigger pull? And reset the .22 CZ? With good glass, could probably keep it under a grand....

Let the rationalization begin.

Ah balls!

NOW LOOK WHAT YOU TWO HAVE DONE!!! :)

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Thanks for the great review. This is going to cost me some money.

I’ve been interested in getting a 22 at this price range and this helped narrow it down.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Great "first shots" review/impressions thread. I'm always curious of new rimfire rifles. Although 22lr wouldn't be my choice. Love me some 17hmr. But, .22 is cheaper to shoot.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great "first shots" review/impressions thread. I'm always curious of new rimfire rifles. Although 22lr wouldn't be my choice. Love me some 17hmr. But, .22 is cheaper to shoot.
    The Tikka T1x in 17 HMR is slightly easier to find than the 22LR one. My preference/addiction these days is 22 WMR, but they aren't currently selling one. Maybe they feel it's superfluous with 17 HMR and doesn't quite match the capability (although of the bunch, 22 Mag would be a more potent coyote round within 100 yards - granted these shots can be longer). Or maybe they don't think they can guarantee 1 MOA accuracy with 22 WMR.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    The Tikka T1x in 17 HMR is slightly easier to find than the 22LR one. My preference/addiction these days is 22 WMR, but they aren't currently selling one. Maybe they feel it's superfluous with 17 HMR and doesn't quite match the capability (although of the bunch, 22 Mag would be a more potent coyote round within 100 yards - granted these shots can be longer). Or maybe they don't think they can guarantee 1 MOA accuracy with 22 WMR.

A new 17hmr is a possibility. With CZ and Tikka it something to ponder.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    I wanted to add some information to this thread. My t1x has had the stock changed but otherwise stock. Shoot some 50 yard 5 shot groups

Attachments

• 20190623_175910-800x600.jpg
      20190623_175910-800x600.jpg
      83.9 KB · Views: 1,528

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Hey, you set me down this path with the CZ 455 Varmint recommendation from KGS. Never used to shoot groups with rimfire rifles much until this rifle surprised me with what it could do. :)

A good firearm will do that to you. Good shooting and a good write up.
    Do you use a torque wrench to reinstall the stock to the firearm? I discovered how much of a difference that makes several years ago. Go up and down a little from spec could make a difference.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    A good firearm will do that to you. Good shooting and a good write up.

Do you use a torque wrench to reinstall the stock to the firearm? I discovered how much of a difference that makes several years ago. Go up and down a little from spec could make a difference.

Thank you and good suggestion. I might try to tweak it. I was thinking of doing this with a new CZ 455 American in 22 WMR if the groups didn't tighten up. Helped a bit with a Ruger American Predator in 22 WMR that I have.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I wanted to add some information to this thread. My t1x has had the stock changed but otherwise stock. Shoot some 50 yard 5 shot groups
    Just saw this update today. Nice shooting. I should try some Geco as well. It's often even more affordable than CCI SV.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I just got my hands on a T1X In 22 lr from bass pro this past weekend. It shoots lights out! Sadly none of the LGS I called could get one hence why I went to bass pro.

Bass pro has a 17 hmr in stock locally per their website, you just need to ask as they have it in the back and not on display most likely.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    congratulations!! I have been thinking of adding 1 to my collection. keep us updated on your thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom