• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Buddy that lives in Denver wants to try 3rd season OTC tags. In early planning stages now. Have only been a white tail guy but he has family that do cows otc regularly + has done quite a few in Idaho.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    This is an elk carcass that was recently found in the area, along with wolf footprints.
    884aff7d-2106-441a-94d1-4ed8bda638fd_750x422.jpg

Wow! They don't waste much, do they?

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Good luck next year. Gonna do elk, mulie, lopes here this year. Did ML and rifle.

Our deadline is just after taxes. Forget exact date but around April 20 or 25. Or so.

Considering putting my son in, as youth have the best chance of draws, but he isn’t that interested really. It’d be a waste I think. We have 7 people in our unofficial office hunting group, and we’re in for about 5 hunts each, iirc. Of the 35 chances total, only 2 were drawn. Youth gun mulie and archery mulie for adult. So 2/35

Previous year, the same group had 2 adult mulie firearms (me and coworker) and 1 youth elk firearm. Got the elk and coworker got a mulie.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    For these drawings we do NV. East central. Just like you guys.. of us 50!

For the most part, the further north you go in NV the more water and therefore game available.

80+% of the NV land is public. But Most with water is private. Or heavily restricted .gov

Most land is either billy goat country, steep/very rugged, or empty arid stuff. With huge swaths of military being off limits, at least most of the time. Iirc. NV is the most mountainous state.

Still trying to figure things out, but a one of our guys guides and will steer us in the right direction.

good luck to you and your group also!

where is 'here?'

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    job before last put me out in colo (springs, actually canon city) and nv (reno/tahoe) a lot. i should have used some free time for scouting and hunting there but alas, i did not. i did get some dirt bike and quad riding and snowmobiling in though.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Dunno about CO, but NV is lottery for most hunts, except maybe yotes, jacks, some birds. ReAlly anything big game. And the odds of winning are pretty low. Most places are just dry, and numbers are limited.

It can be pretty country though.

Not far to the left of the picture are a couple pivot fields loaded with over 80 mulies and maybe 50 Lopes. And man, some of them are television bucks. And the they’re on private land and they know it.

Sort of a far side comic, with the Lopes taunting the mulies knowing they can upset them and they can’t be caught.

Hiking and riding are great if you’re up for it. Base elevation runs 6k+ In that area.

If you drive it, make sure to have at least 2’spares. Even if on a bike. And gnarley tires! Sidewalls especially. Even the roads are rough, don’t ask me how I know.

job before last put me out in colo (springs, actually canon city) and nv (reno/tahoe) a lot. i should have used some free time for scouting and hunting there but alas, i did not. i did get some dirt bike and quad riding and snowmobiling in though.

Attachments

• C1DCC860-D0A8-47C1-BD1A-8307F12EA617.jpg
      C1DCC860-D0A8-47C1-BD1A-8307F12EA617.jpg
      89.6 KB · Views: 142

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Planning on heading out west this year. Will be our third time out, we’ve been 1 for 2 on each trip. I’m researching WY, ID, CO and MT. Follow all the usual podcasts, TV shows and forums using the info where I find useful. I know CO has the largest herds, but 3 different groups of folks I know from last year, struck out. That’s not reassuring, even though odds aren’t high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom