• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I recall that eruby was interested in this event. Unfortunately we will be spending most of that day preparing delicacies to take to Rob’s Bluegrass Barn for that evening’s show. Anyway, from today’s Carroll County Times:

b2e6a9eed3f32362ffb6d3db98fbebd3.jpg

One of the best things about summer is sweet, juicy, local corn on the cob. You can eat all you want on Saturday, Aug. 3, plus a chicken dinner, at the upcoming Old Fashioned Corn Roast. It’s a tradition at the Union Mills Homestead, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Union Mills Homestead Foundation and the Silver Run–Union Mills Lions Club have come together to hold this event for 49 years. Last year was the first corn roast in history to be cancelled due to the weather , so this year, they hope for the support of a big turnout.

The ticket price of $14 per person includes a serving of fried chicken with applesauce, sliced tomatoes, a roll, and iced tea or lemonade, plus — of course — all-you-can-eat corn on the cob. A child’s portion — age 12 and younger — costs $6, with a slightly smaller portion of chicken.

“This is a wonderful opportunity to eat some terrific local corn in a beautiful country setting in Carroll County while enjoying the music and the ambiance,” said Jane Sewell, executive director for the Union Mills Homestead.

While there, visitors will be able to enjoy music by the band Gravy. Sewell said they offers a mix of the classics. “They play a variety including some country music,” she said.

Those who attend can watch the waterwheel on the old mill turn as grains are ground, check out blacksmithing and woodworking demonstrations, stroll among craft vendors on site, purchase a Kona Ice for dessert, and enjoy a leisurely walk around the property, following Big Pipe Creek. Tour the Homestead and gristmill for a small additional fee and shop inside the gift shop, which offers an eclectic variety of old-fashioned wares.

“This is our 49th year,” Sewell said. “Next year will be our big one! Come, sit, and enjoy some delicious corn.”

The Homestead is located at 3311 Littlestown Pike (Md. 97) in Union Mills. For more information, call 410-848-2288.
    Learn more about the Homestead at www.unionmills.org.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    How do they roast that corn? Do they soak it first in some sort of brine? Or just slap it on as is?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Steve, I apologize for not getting back to you on your PM.

The corn roast was excellent, as always, and 2020 will be the 50th anniversary of the event. Looks like it will be Saturday, August 1, 2020. I encourage all to try and attend.

Plenty of delicious roasted corn, AYCE:

corn  corn.jpg

Also comes with a serving of fried chicken, sliced tomatoes, a roll, and (canned) applesauce:

corn plate.jpg

Here is the self appointed Master of the Corn Pile:

corn pile.jpg

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Steve, I apologize for not getting back to you on your PM.

The corn roast was excellent, as always, and 2020 will be the 50th anniversary of the event. Looks like it will be Saturday, August 1, 2020. I encourage all to try and attend.

Thanks Eric, we really really hope to get there next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom