• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    I recently won an Aero M5 upper and lower receiver set. I plan to make a .308. Are the buffer tubes the same as AR15 platform or are there specific AR10 buffer tubes?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You need to check and see what pattern the Aero M5 is. I believe all Aero M5 lowers and uppers are the DPMS pattern, so you are able to utilize a lot of AR-15 parts, like the buffer tube, pistol grips, trigger packs, and gas blocks/tubes.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I built mine on a AP m5 set too. I run a pws mod 2 buffer tube for a ar 15. I like it because the castle nut is a ratchet style locking system that dosnt require staking. It’s a little pricey and a mil spec tube with work just fine though.

I’m not sure if you know or not but the AP m5 is a dpms pattern rifle. Not all large frame ar style rifle parts are compatible with each other. . Fortunatly dpms pattern receivers will accept some ar 15 parts like lower parts kits and buffer tubes.

I would suggest if you havnt already, get a AP lower parts kit or at least thier take down pins because if I remember correctly the front pivot pin is slightly longer to fit the m5 receiver properly.

I’m no expert and there are others on here who can explain it better than I can. I’m just going off my own experiences with putting mine together.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    As others have already said, AR15 carbine buffer tubes are compatible, but you will need a DPMS pattern buffer and buffer spring. If you decide to go with a rifle length tube, make sure to do some research because I think DPMS pattern .308s don't work with standard AR15 A1/A2 type buffer tubes. I seem to recall reading that, though I don't have personal experience with it. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the matter will come by and confirm that or correct me.

I built my .308 on an Aero Precision M5 set as well. As far as I know they are all the DPMS "high" upper receiver pattern, but make sure to verify that before you buy a rail. Additionally I am a big fan of the PWS mod 2 buffer system, but make sure to check function. I actually had to take my build to clandestine/Chad due to a failure to extract issue. Turns out the PWS buffer and DPMS carbine buffer tube and spring were not working well together, and my BCG was traveling too far to the rear. Its overtravel gouged out the back of my lower receiver significantly. He fixed the issue by creating a spacer with about a dollar in quarters, and was able to repair the damage to the receiver.

Basically even though the SR25/DPMS pattern for large frame ARs is widespread, be sure to respect the fact that this project will not simply be another AR15 build. I had a ton of fun putting the rifle together and am thrilled with how it turned out, but getting compatible parts and turning the action was slightly more difficult compared to putting together a normal AR (incidentally assembling the lower was incredibly easy, but make sure to use the Aero takedown and pivot pins, if not an entire Aero LPK). Most of all I hope you have fun with your build and enjoy the varied challenge of making it into a firearm you really are happy with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom