• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JOESTEELER

Jul 23, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I looking for someone who can turn a rail road spike in to a edged weapon. This project is for fun and to give to my grandson when he becomes old enough. Any input will be appreciated Thanks

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I looking for someone who can turn a rail road spike in to a edged weapon. This project is for fun and to give to my grandson when he becomes old enough. Any input will be appreciated Thanks

There’s a young man that does this. First year I saw him he was walking around with a bag of his knives. Last time I saw him he had a table. HOCO show. That’s all I know, not something I’m into. Sounds like a good project.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Henson Forge and Leather out of Georgia can do it for you

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      54.5 KB · Views: 561

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I had a dozen or so rail road spikes that I what to try my hand at making a knife. I was told by a guy at one of those art fairs that was working metal out of a coal forge the old spikes were the only ones that were worth the effort, the newer one are too soft did not have a high percent of carbon steel, Trashed them before I moved south.:sad20:

Last edited:

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    I can do this, and have done many as well as many other things from RR SPIKES. Can do as a demonstration so your boy can watch it be done, in about an hour and a half. And am local Baltimore.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I had a dozen or so rail road spikes that I what to try my hand at making a knife. I was told by a guy at one of those art fairs that was working metal out of a coal forge the old spikes were the only ones that were worth the effort, the newer one are too soft did not have a high percent of carbon steel, Trashed them before I moved south.:sad20:

Railroad spikes come in several levels of carbon content they are marked if they have higher than standard carbon. You can make an edged implement out of any of them but the low carbon ones can not be hardened and the "high" carbon ones only have 0.30% carbon so they can only be moderately hardened, better for a letter opener than a knife.
    http://petrotestco.com/ASTM/A65.pdf

That covers unmarked and HC marked carbon levels, however MC marked spikes have also been reported (medium carbon?).

OP go and take a blacksmithing class and learn to make your own.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks everyone. I have high carbon spikes. I discovered the foundry in Baltimore and am going to take a blacksmithing class. Again thanks!!!!!!!!

My daughter LOVES The Foundry. She goes there often. I am going to take classes with her over the Winter break.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I wouldn't have high hopes for a railroad spike knife having any decent edge performance. It's difficult to heat treat a steel of unknown composition unless you really know what you're doing. They can be made to look pretty cool though, if you're just looking for something with good aesthetics. If you'd like to make a good functional knife yourself, picking up blanks from known steels is the way to go. With them, you essentially get all the heat treating information readily available for you to harden and temper them...or send them off when you've finished shaping the knife to be done by professionals.
    https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/shop/cpm-m4-carbon-steel

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Johnny Z; a knife maker in Northern VA. He was at the Nations Gun showthis weekend. His railroad spike knives are well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom