• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I bought this Ruger 10/22 a while back and I want to get a scope mount on the receiver.
    However, I find that the screws are buried in the blueing and I can't get them out. :mad54:

I'm afraid of damaging the heads if I really lean on the screws.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve

Receiver & receiver close-up of front two screws:

Attachments

• IMG_2079as.JPG
      IMG_2079as.JPG
      20.4 KB · Views: 729
    • IMG_2079b.JPG
      IMG_2079b.JPG
      40.6 KB · Views: 740

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I'd send that back to Ruger. If that is a factory blue/paint job, it was botched.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I'd send that back to Ruger. If that is a factory blue/paint job, it was botched.

I assume is was a factory job. All I can tell you is I bought it new from a local dealer. I never gave the screws much thought until I found I wanted to mount a scope.

I would have left well enough alone but I am unable to focus on the rear factory sight that's mounted on the barrel.

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    I had this same thing happen with mine. Was only ever able to get two screws out and just mounted my rail using two screw holes. Seemed tight enough so I just lived with it. Did piss me off something fierce though while I was struggling with the little screws.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Give Ruger a call and have them issue a repair return. Ruger will fix it or send you a new rifle without hassle. I went through the process for a blued Single Six that was a train wreck out of the box. Ruger paid to ship it both ways from my house, repaired it, and gave it a slick action job without costing me a penny.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Every gun manufacturer has QC issues of one form or another. How quickly and professionally the manufacturer remedies those problems with minimal inconvenience to the gun owner is what separates good companies from also-rans.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That's odd. I've owned a few 10/22 rifles and never seen that before. I'd send it back for free repair or replacement.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    That's odd. I've owned a few 10/22 rifles and never seen that before. I'd send it back for free repair or replacement.

Well it seems I'm not the only one that's had this problem. I gave the rear screw some modest torque but it didn't budge so I stopped immediately.

Is there a solvent or something that will dissolve that stuff?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Well it seems I'm not the only one that's had this problem. I gave the rear screw some modest torque but it didn't budge so I stopped immediately.

Is there a solvent or something that will dissolve that stuff?

My guess is that's a baked on finish. If you were to loosen the screws, it would probably chip the finish on the receiver. It really should go back to Ruger.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Best to call Ruger and ask. They have very good tech support.

If you try to remove that screw, don't be surprised if a large area of finish gets torn away and maybe the screw head breaks off. Make it Ruger's problem before you try anything.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I'd field strip it, heat up the aluminum receiver with a heat gun and then try the screws with a good new screw driver. I'd also dig the paint out of the slots first so you get a better grip. Set everything on a table so you can press down while unscrewing it. That'll help keep the screwdriver engaged. If you have a belt sander you can dress the end of the tip square and the sharp edge will work better.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Don't heat it or chip the paint out!

Do that and Ruger won't be responsible for damage you do!

Ruger is OUTSTANDING with regard to customer service and ALWAYS makes things right.

I had a guy with a defective $300 10/22 that was no longer available. Ruger told him to pick ANY 10/22 he wanted as a replacement. Needless to say the replacement was worth hundreds more, and Ruger shipped it, no fuss, no muss.

Need help, bring it buy and we will get it shipped to Ruger, no charge.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    It sounds like giving Ruger a call is the way to go.
    The gun is a couple of years old so I don't think any warranty would be in effect.
    If they fix it for free or even a reasonable charge I'd be happy.
    The suggestion by Ranchero50 is a good one but way beyond my skills I'm afraid.
    I'll report back once I have something concrete from Ruger.
    Thanks all!!!

Note to self: in the future don't forget check the friggin' scope mount screws.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Don't heat it or chip the paint out!

Do that and Ruger won't be responsible for damage you do!

Ruger is OUTSTANDING with regard to customer service and ALWAYS makes things right.

I had a guy with a defective $300 10/22 that was no longer available. Ruger told him to pick ANY 10/22 he wanted as a replacement. Needless to say the replacement was worth hundreds more, and Ruger shipped it, no fuss, no muss.

WOW! What a kind generous offer. I'll call Ruger and get the process started.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico

The gun is a couple of years old so I don't think any warranty would be in effect.

Note to self: in the future don't forget check the friggin' scope mount screws.

Hats off to you A1!

All of the recent 10/22s are just like this. Some better, some worse but they all have the painted finish covering up the scope mount screws. Both of mine were. I just put it in a cradle on the table and loosened them with an appropriate screwdriver. There is a risk of chipping the rest of the finish, so be careful should you try. Neither of mine chipped, but it could happen. Ruger may have you send it in and may even send you another rifle, but it'll be the same.

Several years ago, Ruger went away from anodizing aluminum parts on their guns; now they use some sort of baked on finish. 10/22 receivers, Blackhawk grip frames and ejector rod housings. It's sad because anodizing kind of "wore thin" with use similar to how bluing does. This baked on finish is no where near as durable and chips off in chunks; really looks crappy. Good luck to you.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Ruger's quality has certainly declined!
    Ruger has had quality issues as long as I can remember. Not saying they don't make some decent firearms, but their deal has always been to find the cheapest decent way to manufacture something. They've turned out some real steamers over the decades. My personal favorite is the 77/22 with the slip fit barrels and v-block. This makes the stock a critical structural part of the barrel to receiver fit. Leads to fantastic accuracy. Ruger used to be famous for making the most inaccurate rifles you could buy. They earned that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom