• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If the SCOTUS deems the 2A is the right of ALL citizens and that right does not stop at your front door, the 10th Amendment will not come into play. Call it what you will, but once the 2nd Amendment is ruled to mean what we all know it means, this entire thread can be put to bed. Will this bill pass this year, my guess is that it will be tabled until the SCOTUS can rule on a few other issues concerning the 2A. Then and only then should this bill come up.

We are an instant coffee kinda society but this is one where we need to let it sit and brew for a little bit. Instant coffee can be very bitter and no one likes that.

Respectfully, no. If the 2A is ruled to mean what we all know it means this bill wouldn't be necessary.

Pass it, pass it now. Baby steps towards the goal, a SCOTUS ruling would be a 100 yard kick return for a TD....

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Stoveman, I agree with you.

In fact passage of the bill with no resulting increase in shootings helps take more wind out of the anti's sails with theirludicrous argument about blood in the streets. Constitutinal carry has proven that.

The sooner this bill becomes law the better off we will be.

I'm smelling coffee.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Stoveman, I agree with you.

In fact passage of the bill with no resulting increase in shootings helps take more wind out of the anti's sails with their argument about blood in the streets.

The sooner this bill becomes law the better off we will be.

I'm smelling coffee.
    Agree with 99.99% of this post.

I'm too dense to get the coffee reference. :(

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    the info i received came with my non resident permit. Obviously going to that state involves travel to that state.

Can the feds mandate to a state that all possible travellers to that stae be given the info? I think many AG and state police web sites have this information, which is more official than the privately run sites. That seems no different than getting an MVA pamphlet, although perhaps not aggregated in one place.

Once the states have been sued enough. It will be cheaper for the State to produce a guide of some type.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Respectfully, no. If the 2A is ruled to mean what we all know it means this bill wouldn't be necessary.

Pass it, pass it now. Baby steps towards the goal, a SCOTUS ruling would be a 100 yard kick return for a TD....

So by that standard, you're willing to throw a hail mary to win the game? I don't think so. We need solid footings to build this bill on. Without the SCOTUS ruling favorably on the 2A, this bill will never have any teeth. As it's been discussed here, you can see where there are holes and possibly caverns when talking about this matter. We need to make sure, when this bill comes up for a vote, we have a firm, solid footing which no left minded quagmire can stop. As many have said, the 10th Amendment would nip many of the benefits and we would still be sitting in a puddle of mud. A favorable ruling on the 2A and all questions concerning this bill go away.

But if we just pass this bill, as you say as a baby step, we could find it coming back to bite us if we don't dot our I's and cross our T's.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    SCOTUS has denied CERT on the past 2-3 carry cases presented to it. We have no guarantee they ever will hear another.

Waiting is a fools errand IMO.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    A "favorable" ruling on the 2nd Amendment from SCOTUS? We can't get ANY ruling from SCOTUS, and every lower court ruling except Moore has been made in bad faith. Congressional action is the only way changes will be made. The courts won't do it. Anybody who thinks otherwise has been burying his head in the sand for the past 8 years.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    A "favorable" ruling on the 2nd Amendment from SCOTUS? We can't get ANY ruling from SCOTUS, and every lower court ruling except Moore has been made in bad faith. Congressional action is the only way changes will be made. The courts won't do it. Anybody who thinks otherwise has been burying his head in the sand for the past 8 years.

Yeah, you're right. That Heller case meant nothing at all.... :sad20:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So by that standard, you're willing to throw a hail mary to win the game? I don't think so. We need solid footings to build this bill on. Without the SCOTUS ruling favorably on the 2A, this bill will never have any teeth. As it's been discussed here, you can see where there are holes and possibly caverns when talking about this matter. We need to make sure, when this bill comes up for a vote, we have a firm, solid footing which no left minded quagmire can stop. As many have said, the 10th Amendment would nip many of the benefits and we would still be sitting in a puddle of mud. A favorable ruling on the 2A and all questions concerning this bill go away.

But if we just pass this bill, as you say as a baby step, we could find it coming back to bite us if we don't dot our I's and cross our T's.

We have been in a catch-22 since Heller and McDonald.

The courts have pointed to Congress saying they have not made an attempt to define 2A outside the home, so why should we?

If Congress can give the court(s) a direction instead of the slow incrementalism that has been adopted, the process to regain/restore a fundamental right might speed up past the cold molasses gear we are stuck in.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    sadly, Heller really didn't do much to move the ball, as SCOTUS was too vague in it's ruling. IT helped DC residents more than the rest of us.

sorry

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

That's not what I said. National Reciprocity is the baby step. I don't see the bill in it's current language having any holes or caverns other than the citizens of states like MD can't benefit from it.

I fully expect some of the libtard states to go completely off the deep end if this passes. Would't surprise me if NY made all of NYC a GFZ for example, but I'd like to think that with a friendly USAG some pee pee whacking would be the result. Bring it on....

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    ^^^That was my point.

I know it's my responsibility, but it's a mine field out there.

Hardly. I'm not the smartest fella, but I negotiate the "minefield" successfully many times a year.

I just think it's funny that some of this group who routinely post up about how to be self sufficient during power outages, prep for TEOTWAWKI, get the best deal on cable TV, etc... think that doing a few minutes of research before travel is too much of a cross to bear....

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That's not what I said. National Reciprocity is the baby step. I don't see the bill in it's current language having any holes or caverns other than the citizens of states like MD can't benefit from it.

I fully expect some of the libtard states to go completely off the deep end if this passes. Would't surprise me if NY made all of NYC a GFZ for example, but I'd like to think that with a friendly USAG some pee pee whacking would be the result. Bring it on....

But don't you think that some state residents won't be treated equally as the rest of the country by the passing of this law? That's where the problem lies if this bill is passed without a more clear stance on the 2A. This is supposed to be a Federal law if passed. A law that some will not be afforded the same protections under that law simply by their state's legislature. In order for this bill to become the law of the land, the 10A restrictions must be removed. The only way I see that happening is a clear and concise ruling on the 2A.

Again, I have no issue with what you want, I just don't see it as a legitimate way for the Congress Critters to act on this matter. It's all opinion at this point. You have the right to have yours, as I do mine. I'm not right all of the time. There was this one time I thought I was wrong, but it proved I was actually wrong. So there, see, I'm not perfect. :innocent0 ;)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The bill's legal footing is the Commerce Clause of the COTUS, not equal protection. The GFSZA uses the same constitutional foundation.

Been found to stand constitutional challenges and SCOTUS scrutiny. That's why the GFSZA was rewritten after the SCOTUS found it unconstitutional. The Commerce Clause was added and it then becamee Constitutional.

Attachments

• commerce.JPG
      commerce.JPG
      28.1 KB · Views: 225

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads