• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    DSC02.jpg

Savage 10FP-LE host action (originally 24" .223, but converted it at home).
    26" .260 Rem, Shilen barrel.
    Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 Mrad.
    Bell & Carlson A5 adjustable stock.

I never weighed the rifle in that configuration, but I can honestly say that it was comparable (recoil wise) to the 24" .223 it started out as. It really is a comfortable and pleasant rifle to shoot in that configuration

The A5 is a heavy stock on it's own, and once you add everything up, it only gets heavier - which means less felt recoil to your shoulder.

If your set on a chassis, go heavy. I swapped to a XLR Element, and I'm missing the extra heft of the A5. Actually thinking of sending the A5 out for bottom metal and staying with it.

If you ever make it out to Delmarva, more than welcome to run some rounds thru it.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I actually have never used a brake before so I am hoping that between the brake and the weight, I can shoot without issues. Is it best to just read peoples reviews and judge a brake that way or are there any specific features that I should look for that help more?

I also have a cervical and lumbar problem and a brake substantially reduced the discomfort I felt at the end of the day.

Here are a few good articles that will help you decide:

I would also consider the Mad Scientist by Patriot Valley Arms. I have 2 of them and they are awesome. I don't think Josh started making these until after this article, but his stuff is awesome. He's got a new one out that is supposed to be even better.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i have a heavy-ish 6.5 creed with a decent brake and there is almost zero recoil.

on sat 28th peacemaker is having a long range challenge match. all prone, basically just a fun match, should be 75 folks shooting this match, with guns and glass from low budget to no budget. if you're interested in getting a LR gun, recommend you just go and spectate and feel free to ask questions. most if not all will let you hold and get behind their guns. great way to narrow down what you're looking for. next LRC match there is end of may.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    i have a heavy-ish 6.5 creed with a decent brake and there is almost zero recoil.

on sat 28th peacemaker is having a long range challenge match. all prone, basically just a fun match, should be 75 folks shooting this match, with guns and glass from low budget to no budget. if you're interested in getting a LR gun, recommend you just go and spectate and feel free to ask questions. most if not all will let you hold and get behind their guns. great way to narrow down what you're looking for. next LRC match there is end of may.

Still openings on 4/28?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    A suppressor works better than nothing but a good brake is still better at recoil mitigation. Go shoot something big like a Barrett M107 w/ and w/o the suppressor. There is ZERO question side-by-side a properly designed brake is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom