• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcflyszx7

Nov 21, 2010
    caroline county
    what makes an HBAR not regulated in md? and does does it have to be marked HBAR? i was looking at a sig m400 hunter and it has the solid stock and 20 inch heavy barrel but it is not marked. just was wondering thanks

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    That is very gray. Some say it has to be the original Colt HBAR. Some say anything stamped HBAR, some say no stamp is needed as long it is a HBAR. Good luck finding a straight answer, best bet is to call a dealer and see who will transfer a HBAR that is not stamped HBAR, I'm sure oyu can find one.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Again...it's another muddy water law from MD.

Some say it needs to be a marked Colt H-bar to be non regulated. Others sell any H-bar AR none regulated.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Every dealer has a different interpretation of the law. Some dealers say an HBAR is only an HBAR if it's a Colt; others say any Heavy Barrel AR with a lower receiver (or barrel) stamped HBAR. Everyone has a different policy. Some dealers only require a heavy barrel.

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    I have a DPMS with 20" heavy barrel, fluted and threaded if your looking for one. I bought it over the counter. It has been stripped, cleaned, duracoated a light grey color, almost foilage green and reassembled after Mid County Gun Shop threaded the barrel. Has a A2 stock and bipod. It was orginally a Artic Panther.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    First off it states the Colt 'competition h-bar' or clone of. It does not need to be stamped h-bar or Colt. It does have to be an exact clone of. It must have A2 stock, 20" heavy barrel(not bull barrel or other configuration), be equipped with standard fixed sights(removable handle ok, as Colt Competition Hbar could have that), standard handguards, etc. I know some don't agree with this interpretation, but it is what MSP explained to me and the only way I sell ARs unregulated.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Forgive me but whats a Hbar?

It's a very magical sort of AR-15 that doesn't shoot kittens and bayonet puppies. Hence, it's not considered a regulated firearm by the state of Maryland.

No, I'm not joking. There is a provision in § 5-101(p) that states that the "Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle" and its copies are NOT considered assault weapons and are therefore not subject to the same regulations as handguns and assault weapons.

I have studied this law and the surrounding controversy very extensively. I own an example of a very "politically incorrect" HBAR and am prepared to justify its exclusion in court if need be. As a result of my studies of § 5-101(p), I have slowly lost my sanity over the five short years that I have been a gun owner. Years? Minutes? Months? Millennia? Stupid penguins keep stealing my cheese whiz.

You too can lose your sanity and hubcaps and Pastor Bob! Here's Maryland's assault weapons list. It has remained unchanged since 2005, a little while after the Federal AWB expired. There is no formal process to change it. As a result, many "evil" new guns are sold in the same manner of 10/22s. Because it was written by the clueless, many prototype or rare guns are also listed. If you think too much about why guns are or are not included... well... there's the sanity issue again.

http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=835OWi-sH2U%3D&tabid=429&mid=1074

Gray areas? Take your pick! There are a ludicrous number of gray areas as well as some gray areas that don't exist, but are rather created because of ignorance.

Tractorguy1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 27, 2011
    It's a very magical sort of AR-15 that doesn't shoot kittens and bayonet puppies. Hence, it's not considered a regulated firearm by the state of Maryland.

No, I'm not joking. There is a provision in § 5-101(p) that states that the "Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle" and its copies are NOT considered assault weapons and are therefore not subject to the same regulations as handguns and assault weapons.

I have studied this law and the surrounding controversy very extensively. I own an example of a very "politically incorrect" HBAR and am prepared to justify its exclusion in court if need be. As a result of my studies of § 5-101(p), I have slowly lost my sanity over the five short years that I have been a gun owner. Years? Minutes? Months? Millennia? Stupid penguins keep stealing my cheese whiz.

You too can lose your sanity and hubcaps and Pastor Bob! Here's Maryland's assault weapons list. It has remained unchanged since 2005, a little while after the Federal AWB expired. There is no formal process to change it. As a result, many "evil" new guns are sold in the same manner of 10/22s. Because it was written by the clueless, many prototype or rare guns are also listed. If you think too much about why guns are or are not included... well... there's the sanity issue again.

http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=835OWi-sH2U%3D&tabid=429&mid=1074

Gray areas? Take your pick! There are a ludicrous number of gray areas as well as some gray areas that don't exist, but are rather created because of ignorance.

Oh no, that simply would not work for me, i fully intend to shoot kittens and bayonet puppies.;)
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Do yourself a favor... Don't buy an AR-15... Buy an AR-10, that way you know it's NOT REGULATED.

Do a search for the many discussions on what is and is not regulated.

Why don't we have a sticky for this yet???

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Actually provision in § 5-101(p) states that Colt AR-15 and Colt CAR-15's (or their imitations) are regulated and that the HBAR variants are not. However, that is VERY different than regulated all AR variants other than HBAR's.

Mark

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    First off it states the Colt 'competition h-bar' or clone of. It does not need to be stamped h-bar or Colt. It does have to be an exact clone of. It must have A2 stock, 20" heavy barrel(not bull barrel or other configuration), be equipped with standard fixed sights(removable handle ok, as Colt Competition Hbar could have that), standard handguards, etc. I know some don't agree with this interpretation, but it is what MSP explained to me and the only way I sell ARs unregulated.

I actually wondered this ? Myself OP and mid county thank you for the response. I assumed it was just in relation to the barrel but I see the stock and hg configuration has to do with it to. Thanks for the good answer!!!

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I actually wondered this ? Myself OP and mid county thank you for the response. I assumed it was just in relation to the barrel but I see the stock and hg configuration has to do with it to. Thanks for the good answer!!!

Or he could be wrong and configuration could actually have nothing to do with it. In fact, he could be right, except removable carrying handles aren't allowed. No one knows.

The bottom line is that the MSP stubbornly refuses to make a formal ruling on this issue. One FFL's contact at the local barracks says X, another says Y, and the guy who fills in at the firearms division when everyone's on vacation says Z. We've had flame wars here over the infamous "Saiga 12 Issue." The problem is that § 5-101(p) is not like the handgun roster. Guns cannot be added or removed without action from the State Legislature - and they haven't touched it since it came into effect. There is no board in place to make rulings and publish them online for anyone interested to see.

This law is a textbook example of poor legislation. For pete's sake, they've even listed AKs as regulated twice, not to mention that some AK variants are also banned by name, as if the writers of the law were especially scared of them.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    This law is a textbook example of poor legislation. For pete's sake, they've even listed AKs as regulated twice, not to mention that some AK variants are also banned by name, as if the writers of the law were especially scared of them.

Actually, if you look carefully, I believe it's 5 times that AK variants are listed.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Hmmm... Interesting. I know several people who have bought HBAR carbines as unregulated from dealers under the opinion by MSP that it's the BARREL that makes it an HBAR, not the stock or barrel length.

A very poorly written law that was tossed onto to the MSP to act as the regulating entity, which is stupid as they are supposed to be enforcing laws not creating or interpreting them.

I wonder if anything ever came of the supposed spent shell casing database? A while ago I heard a rumor that there are 55 gallon drums full of baggies with the shells waiting to be analyzed because the MSP were not given funds to purchased equipment necessary to support the effort.

Honestly, we should probably be thankful that it's so disorganized.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Do a search for the many discussions on what is and is not regulated.

Why don't we have a sticky for this yet??? "

Good idea.

I sold one years back. The Firearms Division of MSP stated it had to be configured and marked HBAR by any manufacturer. Yet we have other barracks stating configuration is what determines it. What if the reciever of an AR variant is sold as regulated, then configured as an HBAR? I know I'd sell it through aspices of MSP only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom