• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    I’m looking at an S&W 686 No Dash with no M to indicate that it was send back to S&W for the recall.

Would not being updated with the recall have any effect on whether I should buy it or not?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    No. Most of the guns didn't have a problem. The problem was primer flow with hot 357 magnum ammo. Usually happened with 125 grain ammo. The fix was a longer firing pin and bushing replacement. As a collector, I would prefer the gun to be all original. My collection is mostly post-war, pre-1957 S&W revolvers, but I have owned as many as eight "L" frames. I currently own two. All original. No modifications. Nice shooters. All of them are/were early no dash models that were used when bought, but in high condition. If the price is right for the condition, don't be afraid to buy it. The factory will still repair it for free, with free shipping both ways. BTW, I've never had an issue.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Ok, so I bought a Model 681 no dash, no M stamp.
    Paid a tad to much for it, $650 OTD.

Not sure if I will send it to S&W for the recall. Probably shoot it first. But most likely won’t shoot many .357’s, mostly .38 and .38 plus p.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I also have an original issue, no-M 686 (6-inch). Never shot it, but I called S&W years ago and the technician I spoke to had me drop a spent shell into a chamber, then measure the headspace (the distance between the recoil shield and the case head). After getting the average space (.006), the technician told me he wouldn't recommend sending it back and added that most guns work just fine, even those that measured .009. I had another 686 that measured .012 and it fired just fine, but it seemed excessive and I got rid of it despite the fact that it was very accurate (it was a 4-inch). I always figured I could get another, but that wasn't right. The wood grips, stamped S&W side plate, integral front sight and chromed hammer and trigger went the way of the world and in return I got a crummy trigger lock! I still have the original 6-inch and a 686-6 6-inch I got in a trade, but I miss the 4-incher.

citibank bank branch near me

post image

--

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    I also have an original issue, no-M 686 (6-inch). Never shot it, but I called S&W years ago and the technician I spoke to had me drop a spent shell into a chamber, then measure the headspace (the distance between the recoil shield and the case head). After getting the average space (.006), the technician told me he wouldn't recommend sending it back and added that most guns work just fine, even those that measured .009. I had another 686 that measured .012 and it fired just fine, but it seemed excessive and I got rid of it despite the fact that it was very accurate (it was a 4-inch). I always figured I could get another, but that wasn't right. The wood grips, stamped S&W side plate, integral front sight and chromed hammer and trigger went the way of the world and in return I got a crummy trigger lock! I still have the original 6-inch and a 686-6 6-inch I got in a trade, but I miss the 4-incher.

Thanks for the info.
    Here’s my 681

Attachments

• 94889F12-4806-4E00-B9F0-C6CBB0230C52.jpg
      94889F12-4806-4E00-B9F0-C6CBB0230C52.jpg
      29.1 KB · Views: 574

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I was one of the lucky ones to have an issue with my 586 no dash. I opted to send it in and got it back in exactly four weeks. Hands down, it is one of the best shooting handguns I have owned. I shot in a match here in NC and it was the gun I chose to shoot the match with. Six inch .357 Magnum stood out in a sea of polymer semi autos.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I love the 681s. They're not too easy to find used, alas. I've known people with really nice guns, then, for whatever reason, they need money and they get rid of them. Later, they can't even remember why they needed the money. They only know they no longer have the gun and that they can never get it back. Lesson: _Never_ get rid of a gun because you'll _always_ regret it. Even guns you don't think you'll miss.

At one time I had two 681s and one 4-inch 686. Now they're gone. If you're just getting into guns, learn this lesson. If you get rid of a gun, what you get for it (unless it's also a gun) will almost assuredly become obsolete before the gun you get rid of. If I had it all to do all over again, I'd hang on to the guns I had, because you can't miss what you never had, but you sure as hell will miss what you _did_ have! (I even miss an old $60 RG .22lr cowboy pistol that had an aluminum frame. I got rid of it to keep a telescope I turned out to never use! The RG was cheap, light and not very good, so went do I miss it? Because of the fun I had shooting it!)

If you disregard this advice, you'll regret it. Later you'll be on a board like this and they'll be talking about the one you let get away and you'll be kicking yourself. I lost a fantastic little gun years ago because of theft. I lost a gorgeous, beautiful, utterly phenomenal S&W Model 63. Had to be on a waiting list for months to get it! They called it a "kit gun" because it fit in a fisherman's kit, though you'd have to be nuts to carry it like that.

Boy I miss that little gun! And these two druggies got into my apartment, found it and probably got a hundred bucks for it. The cops found the .25 Raven I lost with it, which I didn't even _try_ to get back.

I kept it in the blue box that came with it. After that I got a safe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom