• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    I just picked a very good condition Ruger old model Blackhawk in .357 Mag. I’ve only fired a few rounds through it before I bought it. Now that I’ve got it home I think I may have a problem. According to the Ruger owners manual the hammer should have four positions:

1. Fully forward
    2. Safety notch
    3. Loading notch
    4. Fully cocked

Mine doesn’t go to the safety notch. It’ll go to the loading notch and fully cocked with no problem. Also, I don’t think this gun ever had the factory safety conversion done. Based on the serial number it was made sometime in 1972. Any help is greatly appreciated since single action revolvers are way outside my knowledge base. Thanks.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Do you hear 4 clicks when you cock the hammer?
    My advise is to avoid the so called safety conversion, It absolutely destroys the value!
    If need be, I can look at it for you. Feel free to PM me.
    Getting ready to go pick up another old model Blackhawk in a little while since I just got my "not disapproved" notification from MSP.:D

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Is that notch broken on the hammer? Is the trigger sear surface deformed in some way to prevent the safety notch from engaging?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Do you hear 4 clicks when you cock the hammer?
    My advise is to avoid the so called safety conversion, It absolutely destroys the value!
    If need be, I can look at it for you. Feel free to PM me.
    Getting ready to go pick up another old model Blackhawk in a little while since I just got my "not disapproved" notification from MSP.:D

Good advice. Do not convert it. Learn to carry on an open cylinder if you are going to carry it in a holster. They are very nice guns.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Is that notch broken on the hammer? Is the trigger sear surface deformed in some way to prevent the safety notch from engaging?

Possible but, the OP says he is not familiar with single actions and the gun would have to be disassembled to determine if that were the case. Since the Op and I are both in Carroll County, I offered to look at it for him. I am very familiar with these.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A converted OM Blackhawk will operate like a New Model. Ensure empty cylinder. Cock the hammer and look at the firing pin. If the conversion has been done you will see a transfer bar behind and maybe a little low on the firing pin.

I bought a November 1956 built flat gate Single Six - my birth year. Never fired but converted. I looked all over for lockwork. Found a set but the increase in value was approximate to the cost of the lockwork.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    We'll know when I look at it later today.

Magnumite, too bad someone converted that 1956 flat gate. I have a single six in mint condition that was made in my birth year, 1958. I still have not shot it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    1958...very nice. A few subtle variations in those early years.

Except for the conversion, mine was unfired. Too collectible unfired so I let it go. I don’t tolerate guns I shouldn't shoot very well. Unconverted I may have kept it. Made money on it. One thing to consider...folks are holding onto the old lockwork tighter.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    If a safety converted revolver has its original removed parts with it, can it be restored to old style as if nothing were done?
    In other words, other than parts removal and replacement, were any permanent modifications or machining operations performed to do the factory safety conversion?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Looked at it this morning. Late production 3 screw with desirable 4 5/8 barrel. Has the transfer bar conversion. The gun is good to go.

OP, it was nice to meet you and your son this morning. He seems like a pretty intelligent young lad! Enjoy your Ruger!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom