So I've decided I want a CMP M1...but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    3 days soaking in Kroil + Gas Cylinder Wrench finally got it free. Now that I feel like I have every armorer tool for an M1, I feel like I need more of these things....

They are kind of like potato chips. I just wish I had caught the fever before they ran out of Springfields, Enfields, carbines, trainers, etc.

Bowieite

Sep 22, 2013
    Undisclosed Location
    It's only a seven hour drive to their store in Port Clinton, OH. That way you can see what you're getting. I'm gonna make a weekend trip with my son out of it and get one soon.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Well here she is... HRA receiver. Looks like a '65 SA rebarrel? Throat and muzzle are 2/2.

Metal work looks perfect as far as I can tell. The new stock looks great. What do folks recommend for the stock - BLO, RLO, tung oil, or...?

20190530_095012.jpg

I have rubbed in BLO and that seems to work well. Very nice Garand.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I have rubbed in BLO and that seems to work well. Very nice Garand.

Linseed oil will eventually darken. If you want to keep the color of the stock, use pure tung oil. Tung oil was the original stock preservative used on the Garand until the supply of it from China was cut off by the start of WWII. From there on it was linseed oil for all wooden stocks for the US military. Tung oil also crosslinks (i.e. polymerizes) more tightly than linseed oil, so the resulting finish is somewhat more waterproof.

The stuff at the hardware store labelled "tung oil finish" isn't tung oil. Here is one place to get the real deal:
    https://www.realmilkpaint.com/category/oils/
    A little goes a long way. Don't buy in excessive quantity because oxygen causes the oil to polymerize, which is also how it provides protection to wood, and the leftovers will film over in the container in two or three years after opening. PTO is also great for refinishing wood furniture.

Here's a more scientific explanation of the differences between linseed oil and tung oil:
    http://prorestorers.org/notes/LinseedTungOil.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom