• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    So my family is back into the dog game again. I forgot how having a puppy is like having a baby. But aside from the normal puppy shenanigans, I was hoping to get her into some basic obedience training. She is only ten weeks old right now, so it’s no big rush.

Can anyone give me any recommendations in the HoCo area? I’m in Elkridge specifically, but I’m sure there is something around.

And now gratuitous puppy pic......

Attachments

• 33C8A93B-8DC8-4FD6-9015-579CCAA6EDC5.jpg
      33C8A93B-8DC8-4FD6-9015-579CCAA6EDC5.jpg
      255.4 KB · Views: 502

jef955

Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    http://www.ajk9.com/

Applejack K9 trainging academy

A bit of a drive, but they're top notch pros. Took our Shepherd there and went all the way through advanced off-lead obedience.

They also have tracking, agility and protection programs there too. IF you've been through their programs, they also board there at VERY reasonable rates.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    It’s never too early with any pup but especially a smart breed like a Lab

After she has had all her shots, start her off with a puppy class at Petsmart to get her socializing started.

Right now, start working on her recall and return to you and family. That behavior is one of the most important and could save the pup’s life one day.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Understand what you want first.

Potty training? Crate and frequent, routine trips out with a trigger word and reward.

Sit. Stay. Come. All can be practiced. Be consistent.

Heel. Lots of walks. You walk the dog. Not the other way.

Dogs are pack animals. They seek an alpha. If it ain't you, they will be. The dogs that walk all over their owners. That is weak or that dog is too strong for that person.

Right now, socialize to anything and everything. Parks, farms, car trips, noises, kids, cats, music, playing with paws, mimicking vet and groomer visits (picking up tail, looking in mouth, inspecting ears). Play with them like dogs. Play bow.

Read up. Watch a YT. You got it.

Monks of New Skete. Cesar Millan. Both are good sources and balance each other well.

If it is schutzhund, then go with the pros.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    When we got our first pair of Golden’s in the 90’s we immediately took them in the car for “field trips”. Could be one block away to a field or 5 miles to a park. This way they didn’t associate getting in the car with just going to the vet for a shot. Never yell or smack. Remember they are like little children, just learning, and smarter than 90% of the people you meet!

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    Congrats on the new pup.

I'm not in Howard County so I really can't recommend any training facilities there.

On a high note, you couldn't have gotten a better time of year to pick up a new pup. Ton's of things are going on this time of year to get her accustomed to the world she will be living in. People, baseball games in the local parks, bicycles coming from every direction. Everybody loves a puppy. Let her soak it up and it will pay off later when she crosses that 80lb, mark.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Potty training? Crate and frequent, routine trips out with a trigger word and reward.

Dogs are pack animals. They seek an alpha. If it ain't you, they will be. The dogs that walk all over their owners. That is weak or that dog is too strong for that person.

Lots of good info here, and in the other posts. Just wanted to add, start with a crate sized for the puppy now, not what it needs later. If you put a puppy in a crate that it can just stretch out in, it will learn to wait to use the bathroom. If you put it in a crate that has an extra foot or so because it will grow into it, it will use the extra space as a toilet. Then you have a real problem on your hands trying to fix that habit.

Remember it is a baby, and you need to do your part and take it out in the grass every time it wakes up, every time after it eats/drinks, any time it hasn't been out in a while. Until you figure out its needs, take it out a LOT.

If it starts to go in the house, pick it up and take it out immediately, and use an enzyme cleaner (found at tractor supply, pet stores) to get rid of any trace odor spots.

No punishment for accidents, just quick removal to the 'right place'. Lots of praise and pats for going where it should go.

Right now, socialize to anything and everything. Parks, farms, car trips, noises, kids, cats, music, playing with paws, mimicking vet and groomer visits (picking up tail, looking in mouth, inspecting ears). Play with them like dogs. Play bow.

Monks of New Skete. Cesar Millan. Both are good sources and balance each other well.

When socializing, if it reacts with fear (garbage trucks, sirens, big barking dogs behind a fence, thunder), ignore it. Show it that it is not something it needs protecting from. If it shows curiosity to something new, praise, encouragement and play with it.

People that console and comfort fearful pups reinforce the fear, and end up with big, fearful dogs.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    We used blue line k9. But I think they are HarCo based. Worked wonders with our dogs.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Lots of good info here, and in the other posts. Just wanted to add, start with a crate sized for the puppy now, not what it needs later. If you put a puppy in a crate that it can just stretch out in, it will learn to wait to use the bathroom. If you put it in a crate that has an extra foot or so because it will grow into it, it will use the extra space as a toilet. Then you have a real problem on your hands trying to fix that habit.

Remember it is a baby, and you need to do your part and take it out in the grass every time it wakes up, every time after it eats/drinks, any time it hasn't been out in a while. Until you figure out its needs, take it out a LOT.

If it starts to go in the house, pick it up and take it out immediately, and use an enzyme cleaner (found at tractor supply, pet stores) to get rid of any trace odor spots.

No punishment for accidents, just quick removal to the 'right place'. Lots of praise and pats for going where it should go.

When socializing, if it reacts with fear (garbage trucks, sirens, big barking dogs behind a fence, thunder), ignore it. Show it that it is not something it needs protecting from. If it shows curiosity to something new, praise, encouragement and play with it.

People that console and comfort fearful pups reinforce the fear, and end up with big, fearful dogs.

A lot like raising kids.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I've been doing classes with my pup at Ellicott City PetSmart. Everybody I've interacted with at that location has been great. The trainer in fairly new, but does a good job. If they still sell the puppy coupon books, get one. Saved me almost $200 on stuff I would have gotten there anyway.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    So my family is back into the dog game again. I forgot how having a puppy is like having a baby. But aside from the normal puppy shenanigans, I was hoping to get her into some basic obedience training. She is only ten weeks old right now, so it’s no big rush.

Can anyone give me any recommendations in the HoCo area? I’m in Elkridge specifically, but I’m sure there is something around.

And now gratuitous puppy pic......

I feel your pain I just got a 10 week Male GSD Friday, in someways they are more work then a 2 year baby, you have to keep a eye on them at all times, they will put everything in their mouths and keep you up all hours of night crying. Still you love them!

Attachments

• 10 Month GSD King.jpg
      10 Month GSD King.jpg
      37.4 KB · Views: 235

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    I remember those days. From "What a cute pup." to "Thank God, the little monster is sleeping!"

Attachments

• 20150811_101757.jpg
      20150811_101757.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 210

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    My first GSD pup became a dog scared of thunder and fireworks. My next 5 were taken to the skeet/trap range as pups (far enough away to not hurt their ears) and as dogs none have ever flinched at thunder or fireworks. EVER. Go to Loch Raven or somewhere similar, sit on the bench and watch the shooters. Your pup will be rock solid concerning noise after that. IMHO.

Raina

Jun 12, 2012
    North Laurel, Maryland
    I recommend Jessie's Place Animal Training. I needed a trainer who would come to my house to address behavior that didn't occur in a group class setting or in situations away from my home/neighborhood. She is based in Columbia, MD.

410-428-5074

https://www.facebook.com/Jessies-Place-Animal-Training-912590952148601/

The owner/trainer, Cynthia, is also 2A like-minded! We have some great side conversations while training. You can tell her the lady with the Scotties highly recommended her.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Exactly where I want to be
    There is also All About Dogs. You want to talk to Gary. He's in Baltimore

443-859-0444

Trained this one myself but with a lot of help from another shepherd...there's no better teacher than one of their own. Older, more settled and a whole lot wiser!!!

Attachments

• Bear's_ID.jpg
      Bear's_ID.jpg
      11.3 KB · Views: 179

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County

Yep, especially the bolded part - from 8-16 weeks you need to take that dog as many places as possible and let it see and, when possible, interact with everything. Motorcycles, all different types, sizes and sexes of people, people with helmets, hats, all other animals, etc. It will pay off for the rest of it's life.

If you need training, there's several places in HoCo with stellar reviews. Canine Training Center, Off Leash K9 are two. Some use electronic collars, some don't. Some use food, some don't. etc etc.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Just wanted to update......

Settled on Tecla's. Only a couple classes in, but nothing but positive things to say at this point. Their facility is incredible! Our puppy has also indulged in one of their Puppy play times and one day of day care so far. She was smoked after both excursions! Great place and great people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom